PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

WTA Sydney Draw and Results

All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Sun 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Kerber vs Safarova; hoping to see Kerber advance as I would like to see Venus vs Kerber in R2: that will show who is reday for the AO.
Kerber was impressive in the Hopman Cup, but Venus is another cup of tea.

Also wondering what Kasatkina will do in a few hours time. Strycova is not an easy R1 opponent, and I need some 1997-wins in 2018.
Ostapenko is failing big time, and so is/was Osaka... and Bencic not in a WTA MD prior to the AO (her Hopman Cup was pretty OK though)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Graveller#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# Venus hasn't played in awhile and its sweltering with AO right around the corner. I wouldn't hold my breath that she 1) plays or ) 2 plays well. If they meet, I give Vee 10% chance of "winning". Angie is warmed up and it's only gonna get hotter, so to speak. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sun 07, 2018 4:56 pm

LOL. Venus throwing trees at Sanchez Vicario. I know the WS doen't like her and the feelings are mutual. I recall Serena saying just recently that her worse loss of her career was against Sanchez Vicario. What are the odds!!!

Venus Williams will warm up for the Australian Open at the Sydney International, playing singles at the event for the first time in 19 years.

But it seems she's forgotten about the last time she played the tournament.

It's been almost 20 years since the seven-time Grand Slam champion became runner-up to Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario in the 1998 women’s singles final.

During a press conference held at Bondi Surf Life Saving Club, Williams needed a bit of a reminder that it ever happened.

The World Number 5 was speaking at the event where the draw was announced.

"Did you say I was in a final here?" she asked the Sydney International tournament director Lawrence Robertson after he introduced her.

He gave her a quick reminder.

"Oh... I forgot about that. Back in the day. Twenty years ago apparently I came close to winning," she said.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 08, 2018 12:36 pm

So sad for Sloanie!!

U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens lost her first match of the year, beaten 6-3, 6-0 by Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi and is short of match practice ahead of the Australian Open which starts in Melbourne next week.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Tough, tough match for Venus

SYDNEY (AP) — Former No. 1-ranked Angelique Kerber needed to save two match points before fending off Lucie Safarova 6-7 (3), 7-6 (8), 6-2 on Monday to set up a second-round match against Venus Williams.

Kerber, coming off a run to the Hopman Cup final in Perth, overcame two rain delays and a tricky second-set tiebreaker to extend her streak to five straight singles wins. Second-seeded Venus Williams had a bye in the first round.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Mon 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Last time she had to save MPs in R1, she won the event (Aussie Open 2016)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 08, 2018 1:41 pm

That's confidence boosting for sure.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:37 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Kerber is in my provisional Skan team, but will NOT be in my final team... #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#That meltdown in the first set vs Venus was epic... 5-3 up, 2 SP.... serving for the set at 5-4... then losing 10 of the last 11 points and Venus wins 7-5 without any effort.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#That last service game... all that Venus had to do, was returning three times.. Kerber sprayed UE's & sealed her downfall with a DF... LOL...#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Hopman Cup almost fooled me, but Kerber v.2018 looks a lot like Kerber v.2017#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Graveller on Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Tue 09, 2018 6:49 am

I don't know what Konta was doing here. She retired from Brisbase because injury. One would think she'd take off this week to rest.
Alright, she is off my Skan team.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 09, 2018 7:27 am

OK, Kerber won apparently (did not see Set #2 and #3....).

Not gonna be fooled by this result: I saw her crumble when it mattered in Set #1... bad attitude.