Accomplished
SERENA Withdraws From AO

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Thu 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Defending champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from
the Australian Open, saying she is not ready to return to tournament
tennis.
Williams was pregnant with her first child when she won
last year's tournament at Melbourne Park, the 23rd Grand Slam singles
title of her career. <p>She gave birth to her daughter, Alexis, in September.</p>
<p>Williams played in an exhibition tournament last week
in Abu Dhabi and indicated after her loss to French Open champion Jelena
Ostapenko that she might not make it to Melbourne.</p>
"After competing in Abu Dhabi I realized that although I
am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be," Williams said
in a statement released Friday by Australian Open organizers.</p>
<p>"My coach and team always said `only go to tournaments
when you are prepared to go all the way'. I can compete - but I don't
want to just compete, I want to do far better than that and to do so, I
will need a little more time.</p>
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:14 pm

What medical complications?

Serena Williams' coach believes she made the correct decision to not play in this month's Australian Open, having missed too much practice time after becoming a mother for the first time just over four months ago.

Patrick Mouratoglou said Williams, 36, winner of 23 Grand Slam singles titles, had been unable to practice for two months because of medical issues after the birth of her daughter, Olympia. Mouratoglou said she will be back to 100 percent in time for tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami in March.

"It's never an easy decision to skip a Grand Slam, I guess for any professional, and for sure for Serena," Mouratoglou told ESPN.com in a telephone interview Friday. "But I would rather say it is a wise decision. It's not an easy decision, but it's the best, wise one.

"The thing is, when she gave birth, things didn't go as smooth as she expected. She had some complications -- I mean, the baby was perfect, but she had some issues afterwards -- and these medical issues delayed the moment that she could come back to practice."

The news was announced by Australian Open organizers Friday in Melbourne. Mouratoglou said that when he met up with Williams in Florida in mid-December, he could immediately see she would not be ready.

"I could see that those two months were missing. Those two months she could not practice after giving birth. So, I knew she was late, but with her, you never know, so we did the job, and then her idea was to do one match and see exactly where she was. But it was no surprise for me [that she was not ready]."

Williams played French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko in an exhibition in Abu Dhabi on Dec. 30, losing out only in a deciding-match tiebreaker. Mouratoglou said that though he knew she was not ready, Williams needed to feel it herself.

"She always thinks she can find a way, even when she's not ready, so it's always difficult for me to convince her not to compete," Mouratoglou said. "So I thought it was a good idea for her to play a match and see exactly where she was and see if she felt like going to the Australian Open, and being not prepared the way she usually is.

"It is better to take a bit more time, and when you come back to the competition, you are ready to be yourself -- win or lose is another thing -- but at least be yourself and be at the top of what you can do."

Mouratoglou believes that aside from all the changes in her personal life, having married in November, Williams still has the same motivation to be the best.

"Your life changes, but the athlete, the competitor, is the same, exactly the same," he said. "I didn't see any difference. She thinks the same way, she acts the same and for those who were wondering. ... I can tell that she didn't change, when it comes to business, her tennis -- she is exactly the same person. I am not worrying at all.

"Whatever happened [on the tour] in her absence, if she comes back, it is to win. So she will come back to win. Will she do it or not? Only [time] will tell, but she comes back to win."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:44 pm

The man was itching, couldn't wait to talk to the press.
At least Serena was able to keep a lid on him until she made the announcement herself.
I don't like this dude one bit.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:45 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

What medical complications though? Her not being able to play for 2 months after giving birth is normal. You're supposed to take it easy the first 6 weeks at least.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:06 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;Why don't you ever play the PredictionGame? All you have to do is enter some scores. So simple. All you have to do is click on the link in top-right and enter scores. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:47 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Never heard of it.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:49 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;Oh I get it.. Well, can you try the scores of Brisbane and Shenzhen finals.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Just click on the links on the top-right ... It's pretty simple.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Mon 08, 2018 8:29 am

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Two-time champion Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from the Australian Open, with her wildcard entry to the season's first major reallocated to Ajla Tomljanovic.

Australian Open organizers announced Azarenka's withdrawal in a social media post Monday, a week before the tournament begins.

"It's unfortunate that (Azarenka) is unable to travel to Australia this year," organizers posted on Twitter, quoting tournament director Craig Tiley. The Australian Open, "is her favorite tournament and she's looking forward to returning to Melbourne next year."

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:SERENA Withdraws From AO

Post by rex » Jan Wed 10, 2018 9:14 am

Just learned of this today...... Appears Serena took charge of her own health after giving birth, complications ensued after the C-Section during a 6-day stretch thereafter. A situation that at one point seemed dire, yet she had to tell the doctors and nurses what to do. Good to learn and see that she came through.

From the Vogue article:

Though she had an enviably easy pregnancy, what followed was the greatest medical ordeal of a life that has been punctuated by them. Olympia was born by emergency C-section after her heart rate dove dangerously low during contractions. The surgery went off without a hitch; Alexis cut the cord, and the wailing newborn fell silent the moment she was laid on her mother’s chest. “That was an amazing feeling,” Serena remembers. “And then everything went bad.”

The next day, while recovering in the hospital, Serena suddenly felt short of breath. Because of her history of blood clots, and because she was off her daily anticoagulant regimen due to the recent surgery, she immediately assumed she was having another pulmonary embolism. (Serena lives in fear of blood clots.) She walked out of the hospital room so her mother wouldn’t worry and told the nearest nurse, between gasps, that she needed a CT scan with contrast and IV heparin (a blood thinner) right away. The nurse thought her pain medicine might be making her confused. But Serena insisted, and soon enough a doctor was performing an ultrasound of her legs. “I was like, a Doppler? I told you, I need a CT scan and a heparin drip,” she remembers telling the team. The ultrasound revealed nothing, so they sent her for the CT, and sure enough, several small blood clots had settled in her lungs. Minutes later she was on the drip. “I was like, listen to Dr. Williams!”

But this was just the first chapter of a six-day drama. Her fresh C-section wound popped open from the intense coughing spells caused by the pulmonary embolism, and when she returned to surgery, they found that a large hematoma had flooded her abdomen, the result of a medical catch-22 in which the potentially lifesaving blood thinner caused hemorrhaging at the site of her C-section. She returned yet again to the OR to have a filter inserted into a major vein, in order to prevent more clots from dislodging and traveling into her lungs. Serena came home a week later only to find that the night nurse had fallen through, and she spent the first six weeks of motherhood unable to get out of bed. “I was happy to change diapers,” Alexis says, “but on top of everything she was going through, the feeling of not being able to help made it even harder. Consider for a moment that your body is one of the greatest things on this planet, and you’re trapped in it.”

https://www.vogue.com/article/serena-wi ... ruary-2018
Last edited by rex on Jan Wed 10, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re:SERENA Withdraws From AO

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Wed 10, 2018 11:51 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Unbelievable and she can afford the best medical treatment on the planet.