PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sat 30, 2017 10:50 am

"I'm excited. It's good to be back on the court," Williams said after the match. "This was such a good time for me. ... First matches back are always super-incredibly hard, especially after having a baby. It was great. I was glad I could do it here."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Sat 30, 2017 10:55 am

Ace2Ace wrote:It's their first meeting. I don't expect much from this. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Serena lost to Wozz at an Exhibition a couple of years ago. It think it was in Brazil of somewhere in South America.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#She  lost to Radwanska at Hopman's Cup. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#She's most likely to lose to Ostapenko. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#For me, the most important thing will be what she  looks like. If she is carrying 50 extra pounds, it won't be easy. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Her brain may know what to do, but will the body follow?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Brain asks the feet to move; feet go "sorry we can't". lol#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Brain asks the arm to swing fast: arm go "sorry I don't know how". lol#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Those kinds of things will be her challenges.
right on the money.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Serena couldn't move, couldn't swing, couldn't serve. Despite all that, she stole a set from a fresh and dangerous top-10 player. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#The first 2 points in the TB were xmas gifts and set the tone for how the TB went.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#I believe she would have won the next set if they were playing 3-set. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I think the only reason she elected to play Ostapenko  is that the young Latvian is the only top-10 player she had yet to play. She didn't want any surprise in Melbourne. So homework done.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Is she ready for Aussie Open? Yup, only if she draws Sharapova in R1. That will bring her alive and the rest will be history.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#But if she draws one of those energizer bunny girls to run her around all match, I am afraid Aussie Open will be a nice quick trip. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#If she can find a way to survive the first 2 matches, she's going all the way to the final.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#That's all folks.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sat 30, 2017 11:03 am

Of course, there's an inevitable measure of games(wo)manship and sandbagging on Ree's part, knwoing the WTA (mainly Sharapova) is watching with hope. The extent of it however is unclear.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Re:Dec 30: SERENA v. Ostapenko

Post by Skilletsauce » Dec Sat 30, 2017 11:27 am

After watching some highlights from this exhibition I'm not so sure if a 2 week slam, in that heat, is the wisest choice for a 1st tournament comeback.

I know how much Serena loves this tournament, but she may have to temper her expectations at bit as I saw some rust and the speed wasn't there yet either due to some extra midsection weight.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sat 30, 2017 11:38 am

Even wearing slimming black attire could not mask the extra weight, understandably. It's going to be tough for her to drop it as she'll be fighting tooth and nail against her bodacious body type.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:48 pm

"...Her serving wasn't as fast, her groundstrokes weren't as crisp and her movement—well, everyone's a little sluggish after the holidays, right? But after 336 days, it was a pleasure to see any version of Serena Williams, the all-time great tennis player, back on the court...." Tennis.com

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Did Serena go back home? Haven't heard a thing.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:21 pm

I think she might've played Osta because she's the reigning clay court and Serena expects she won't be fit till then anyways.