Slaone changes coach

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Slaone changes coach

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:58 pm

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#"...Sloane Stephens has flipped coaches and is now being coached by Andrew Fitzpatrick, who was coaching J. Konta at the end of this past season. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#This info came from Matt Cronin of the Tennis Reporters. .....#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Matt Cronin's brief tweet denoted that Sloane wants to be more aggressive. "#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl#Rumors attribute the following quote to her Chicago based coach:#ed_op#i#ed_cl# #ed_op#/i#ed_cl#"I've got a family and career in Chicago. I don't need your drama"#ed_op#br#ed_cl#What is going on?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Dec Mon 18, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Dec Tue 19, 2017 4:27 am

I hope that the off-season allowed Sloane to clear her head.

She was a talented junior, and you do not win a slam with no talent.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:20 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

She has some talent no doubt but she ultimately won because she went for it and had nothing to lose. Since then, I believe she's won one set and that was against a player I'd never heard of, and still lost the match.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:32 pm

she went for what?
Sloane just pushed the balls in play, waiting for errors.. and she won. She got very lucky....
She didn't go for anything. How many winners did she hit?
I think you can find the match on youtube.
Ostapenko went for it, Yes. Sloane, No. 2 different matches for the same result.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:38 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

She 'went for it' her way that somehow stopped working immediately thereafter. She got super, super SUPER lucky against Vee. That down the line BH off a slice was pure luck.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:43 pm

No.. she got lucky. She took the same game to the Asian tour.. Push and wait. And couldn't win a single match. Won only 1 set in 3, 4 tournaments? The waiting game failed. I read yesterday she wants to be aggressive... I hope that's true. Because she's got power. But like Kasatkina, she refuses to use it.

When she tries and misses a couple of them, she retrieves in a comfort zone: push and wait. That's the wrong thing to do. You don't get better at the power game by being afraid of playing power tennis. You got to keep going after the ball.. eventually, you'll get used to it and you'll get better at it. If I were her coach, that's what I would work on.. It's all in her head.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Tue 19, 2017 2:46 pm

What was luck the most was in meeting a string of players against who she had nothing at all to lose, given that she was the lower ranked player famously returning from injury. No one would've faulted her for losing.