Tournaments this week

Beijing 2017 Draw and Results

All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Fri 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Finally, I got to watch this match.
First, I was surprised by how Svitolina has improved. I still had in mind the girl running behind the baseline retrieving everything. She's added some offense to her game, which is nice to see. She ***** a few great passing shots and winners.

My main observation is that she doesn't beat herself. She is very steady in her game, from start to finish, she's playing the same game. no dips: lots of mighty defense, lots of running, and on occasion, a few brilliant offensive shots. But her game doesn't go beyond that.

Garcia is the one that goes from brilliant to mediocre to bad to brilliant again. You can tell she is the one in charge. It's like she is challenging herself every time to raise her game. She makes those errors, makes a mess and gets broken, while Svitolina is steady. Then it's like she turns it on and goes "ok, I am going to break you.. watch". Then she spanks the serves, hits wide and finishes with a brilliant backhand or forehand winner. Steps up again. great return.. winner.. and breaks. It's like she is toying with Svitolina... like, hey girl, you have nothing to hurt me.

Then she proceeds with a great service game. Ace.. dazzling play, .. winner.. superb. That's her top. Then out of nowhere, there shows up the mediocre shots, the silly errors.. she is down.. and broken.

All that time, Svitolina remains steady. She is playing her game. Yes she makes errors too. But you don't have the feeling that she is hurting her game... because she is so steady. She is in the match, playing well, defending well, without much control of anything. When she makes errors, it doesn't have the ring of "oh she is messing up now". Her errors seem normal, part of her steady game.

As for Garcia, she is playing such brilliant offensive tennis that, when she misses, it hurts her game. It's like "here she goes, down again.. she is messing up now". :) :)
It's weird but that's what I got from watching this match. When Garcia breaks, you can see how she brilliantly takes over the game to do it. When Svitolina breaks with that steady game, it's because Garcia's level is going down.

If I had to draw a graph, I'd have Svitolina steady (Defense/offense/errors kept at a steady ratio). .... while Garcia's line is going up above the horizontal line, and down below it, back and forth. :)

If Svitolina was going to lose the match, she was not going to do it beating herself.
If Garcia was going to lose, it was because she couldn't dig herself out of the holes she creates.

Svitona was not going to help her out the hole. Nope. Garcia had to do it by herself. And that's what happened here.

Look at the last 3 points of the match:
6-5 MP, Svitolina serving. Garcia goes for 1, 2 punch: brilliant winner. There is nothing Svitolina can do.
6-6: Garcia serving. Another brilliant winner. Svitolina can't touch it. 7-6
7-6 MP, Garcia: another brilliant winner. Svitolina can't move.
Match over.
Garcia could have missed that shot at 5-6, without Svitolina's "involvement".. and Svitolina would have won the match.

Those 3 points summarizes this match. It would have been sad had Garcia lost. She was the player with more depth, more game, more daring shots.. She took more risk. She was in control the entire match. Glad she won and glad she finished it so brilliantly.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Fri 06, 2017 9:46 pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VcgfyuBFVbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Beijing 2017 Draw and Results

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 6:42 am

Garcia vs Kvitova.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#LIVE on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YVzWG ... p#br#ed_cl#

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:10 am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D9YVzWGEf-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:14 am

Congrats to Caroline, backing up her Wuhan victory. Maybe in Ostapenko and Caroline one is seeing a new breed of player, a player that can go deep in back-to-back events, something rarely seen on this Tour, save for Serena in recent years.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:23 am

Final:
Garcia vs Halep

I don't see how Halep can beat Garcia who fixed her serve consistency today.
She kept Svitolina in their match yesterday by messing up with her serve. Today, there was no such thing. Her serve was better, more consistent, potent. The returns were so huge Petra was under pressure all match long. And the ground strokes, wow. I said I don't like long points, but in case like this, were each shot is a potential winner, I don't mind and 8-shot point. :)

Garcia got so much talent, so much depth, she made Petra look rusted. If she can keep this up next year, watch out: a new Power Queen is rising.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sun 08, 2017 9:07 am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7pbMzuFZXcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sun 08, 2017 9:37 am

#ed_op#img src="https://i.imgur.com/xdKOoEh.jpg" width="554" height="395"#ed_cl#