PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

Day 4....Wimby

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Kvitova fell to Madison Brengle in three sets in the second round of Wimbledon, calling the doctor just before the match finished and complaining of illness.

"I'm not sure [what happened], actually," she said. "I could not just breathe, and I was feeling a bit sick, as well. That sometimes [happens]. But, yeah, unfortunately it happened at Wimbledon, which is not nice. But she still played what she could. I mean, she hit everything back. It was just tough for me to still have those energy to put it back and play my aggressive game."

Kvitova said she had been more or less fit at the beginning of the encounter.

"But then when the match get longer and longer, I felt a little bit sick and tired,” she said. “So I couldn't really move. I was so slow. I felt like, I don't know, like an animal. But a very slow animal."

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Day 4....Wimby

Post by rex » Jul Thu 06, 2017 3:41 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

Based on your comments, I watched a summary of Gulbis vs DelPo.... nice match...

Gulbis is apparently the lowest ranked player to reach R3 at Wimbledon. But prior to his injury issues, he was a top10.

Talent never disappears....
Indeed Ernie's match with DP was competitive and was glad that he finished, for I started to worry when Juan started to press in his ground game that Ernests would get weak-kneed with wild forehands and backhands, coupled with "bunting" his returns (I've seen this routine oft ere). Yet, he maintained his game and finished in 3, tho' Juan aided with some uncharacteristic errors in the breaker. He looked good, nevertheless......

He's currently ranked "589th", but his last top-10 appearance was on June 9th 2014. Yes, during that time there were injuries (a wrist problem) but a lot of lst rd losses, regardless, Slam record has been terrible overall, save for a semi-finish at the '14 French (forgot that).

However, talent does disappear when you've aged yourself out of the sport. But, one's career can disappear much sooner if one doesn't realize one's potential during one's prime. Ernests will be "29" on August 30th and pretty much his career "has disappeared" for quite a few players retire at age 29 (Safin, Roddick, Dementieva, Kim, a little earlier I think, Justine, Graf at 30 to name a few).

Sometimes I wonder what players are thinking about, players with talent to do big things, like Ernests, Monfils, Venus, Petra K. (what a waste), Mona, Kai Kanepi, Yaro....players with talent and weapons but mess around (there's always next year) in their prime 'til suddenly they're age 29 or 30 and looking back on their 20's haven't done a thing or have accomplished little, as if time is going to wait 'til you wake up and start to realize one's potential. Yet, this is where Ernests is today at age 29 next month with a career of little accomplishments. I'll keep watching my guy, nevertheless......lol.
Last edited by rex on Jul Fri 07, 2017 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 06, 2017 3:47 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Someone needs to take a hold of Monfils and implore him to save every penny he earns as there isn't a whole lot for a Black male to do outside of sports in France to make good money. Sad, but true. More than likely, he'll end up broke, having wasted not only his talent, but his pennies on some French chick and a kid she's wise enough to produce.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:23 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

Yep... all of a sudden they are old...

I was shocked to find out that Janowicz is about to turn 27... in my mind, he is still an upcoming youngster...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:35 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Yes, Monfils is a clear example, a top-5 talent and game but has at age 31 in September "clowned" himself out of a meaningful career. I don't know about his personal life, and don't know whether he's like some NBA and NFL players siring a bushel basket full of kids out of wedlock, who then have their earnings siphoned off on child support payments way beyond their post-career, but I do know he went austere and for a couple of years didn't have a coach, saving his money on such, something that Kim Clijsters did as well. Plus, he lives in Switzerland where it is not cheap, but is a beautiful country.

Yet, generally, the post-career of many pro athletes have tragic stories in all of sports, Bernie Kozar, Denny MacLain, a host of NFL players, some hockey players, etc. Players who screw up millions in earnings and end up broke for various reasons. However, this is also the case for lottery winners who've won multi-million dollar jackpots, but who end up broke for whatever reason, as well. It's the choices one makes. But having some self-realization about one's life, post-career, and being cognizant of those ere them who have fallen on hard times (many examples) and making sure one doesn't end up in similar predicaments, for me should be a no-brainer. Yet, people make choices.......
:?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:36 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Graveller</b>:</font>

I got good news for you: you may not believe it at this point in time, but Kerber vs Ostapenko will be the final
Ostapenko in the Final here? please God NOOOOOO.
The match against Abanda was ugly. someone who plays like that should not advance to the next round. Maybe she'll play better tennis on Hard Court.
But please, Giorgi, send her home. That last match was an embarrassment. Ostapenko can't hit a first serve. And the 2nd serve is all over the places. The returns suck. That was a bad match. :( :( ;(
I could feel what the casual spectator was thinking: "wait, wait ...that girl won the French Open? How?". lol lol lol
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Kontaveit dismisses [29] Kasatkina 63 62

Have not seen the match yet.. but not surprised by the result. Kontaveit is not afraid of hitting the balls. Kasatkina waits for someone to tell her to go for it. If not, she is just happy to guide the balls in play.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Thu 06, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Watching Kasat vs Kontaveit#ed_op#br#ed_cl#This looks more like a WTA match.. :)&nbsp; ... relatively to Ostapenko's last match.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Wozniacki will have a hard time knocking this Kontaveit out. Some clean, hard hitting tennis. I like it!!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Kasatkina looks good when she goes for her shots. Too bad she holds back most of the time. She could really "hurt" lots of girls if she could make up her mind and play power-tennis, like Kontaveit (who looks like Shelby Rogers' sister/cousin... :)&nbsp; ).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Thu 06, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Thu 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Alright, #ed_op#b#ed_cl#welcome Kontaveit, to the Ace Crew.#ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Beautiful slices.. nice drop shots.. Powerful groundies. Mighty first and second serves. That's like it, straight from the Ace Academy !!!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Very smart power player. Expecting her to do well on the hard court the rest of the year .. and beyond.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Next victim: #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Wozniacki #ed_op#/b#ed_cl#.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Thu 06, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Fri 07, 2017 3:07 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Ace2Ace#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Please give Kasatkina time to develop and do not judge too soon/too hard. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Like Svitolina, she had her priorities right by focussing on skills and point construction. Now comes her time to add the power and aggression. Kasatkina is three years younger; let us see where she will be in 2020. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#A few years ago, Svitolina was called a powerless pusher Now look where she is and how her game is constantly evolving. So many expected that Barty would blow her off the court. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#No, Elina won in straight sets, and when you look - for instance - at average first serve speed - they were virtually the same. I even think that Svitolina had the fastest serve in that match (not gonna bet on that one, but pretty sure that the commentator mentioned that at the end of the match).#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Svitolina in 2017 can whack the ball as hard as most girls. The secret is that you do it when it is worth doing so.&nbsp; #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Look where Kontaveit was - another talent - two years ago (she is two years older than Kasatkina).#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"