Tournaments this week

VENUS, Oh, No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Re:VENUS, Oh, No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by rex » Jun Fri 30, 2017 1:12 pm

<i>The Daily Mail is a Rupert Murdoch rag and a former owner of Fox news. Yet, I've found that the Daily Mail does a better job of reporting actual facts of Stateside events than Stateside media, whether print or visual, does of actual events, whether on celebrity news, police shootings, political events, etc. Thus, I'll effectively weigh what they report, but not jump to final conclusions, for, again, media reports, news and whatnots can have a slant, whether they be left or right wing, which I found out in the last election, citing the Daily Kos, for example. Disappointed was I by what they reported, but given the scant attention span of today's general populace it's understandable.

Yet, the photo that you put forth of the police report, is an actual police report by form recreating the alleged accident. Yet, the overhead photo, per the DM article, shows the elderly driver in the turning lane, not the driving lane on the street she was heading. Further, the overhead photo is not the actual photo of the accident, but another recreation by the police, I guess, of the intersection from an overhead point of view, for the autos are mere drawings. However, it's reported that there was no police report filed at the time of the accident and Venus was not cited by the police responder to the accident for violation of any traffic laws, but after an investigation with apparently eyewitness' accounts there is one. Conflicting discrepancies abound here.....</i>
Last edited by rex on Jun Fri 30, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Ironic that the only ex champs in the draw, Venus & Kvitova, both are entering the event having recently faced life threatening incidents.

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jun Fri 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Today's edition of The Globe & Mail [Canada - June 30 2017] carries this headline:

"Venus Williams caused fatal car crash, report says"

Causation is extremely difficult to affirm and requires unassailable evidence. Based on what has been reported, this is presumptive and premature in this case. The G & M article goes on to say

"The report says a 2016 Hyundai Accent driven by Barson's wife, Linda, crashed into the side of William's SUV. Linda Barson told investigators that she was approaching the intersection when her light turned green and that she was unable to stop in time."

How fast was Linda Barson going as she approached the intersection? Was she speeding? She didn't slow down to see if the intersection was clear. She proceeded on the green light signal irrespective of what was taking place in the intersection.

This evidence suggests Linda Barson was not driving with prudent care and attention. Why was she "unable" to take stock of the situation and bring her car to a stop. This could be characterized as reckless abandon.

Venus did not "cause" Linda's incompetence as a driver. She did not "cause" the gentleman from acting illegally in failing to wear a seat belt as required under state law:

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

She did not "cause" the traffic jam that forced her to come to a virtual standstill in the intersection.

The only crime clearly attested to at this point is the gentleman failing to be legally secured in his vehicle. To use his demise as a basis for a gold-digging wrongful death suit is pathetic.
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 30, 2017 11:18 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Police said Vee is 'at fault.' Cover up?

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Sat 01, 2017 9:56 am

My only concern at this point is if Venus can clear her head and focus on tennis and Wimbledon. Vee is more cerebral and emotional so I hope this doesn't weigh on her too much and affect her energy. She can be a real threat here so I hope she can clear her mind for 2 weeks and block this out.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sat 01, 2017 5:23 pm

"I am devasted (sic) and heartbroken by this accident," wrote Williams, the world's former top-ranked female tennis player. "My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers."

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jul Sat 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Not sure if Venus reads her FB comments, but nice to see messages of
love and support for her and that family.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 03, 2017 12:56 pm

WIMBLEDON, England — Venus Williams had withstood a thorny match on the No. 1 Court on the opening day of Wimbledon and then veered through several questions in the quiet interview room, avoiding the looming subject. Then she took it on squarely.

“There are no words to describe, like, how devastating and, yeah,” she said Monday afternoon, her sentences trailing off. “Yeah, I am completely speechless. It’s just — yeah, I mean, I’m just . . .” She began to cry, and the moderator asked reporters for patience while a five-time Wimbledon champion sat before a silent room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... 7cecd212d1

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Mon 03, 2017 4:08 pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/girrn5N6PSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>