PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

INJURY List

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 22, 2017 10:43 am

(AP) — Third-seeded Kei Nishikori was forced to retire with an injury during his second-round match against Karen Khachanov at the Gerry Weber Open on Thursday.

The Japanese player was trailing 3-2 when he withdrew with a left hip problem.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jun Thu 22, 2017 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Thu 22, 2017 10:47 am

Nick Kyrgios insists his withdrawal from the Aegon Championships will not stop him playing at Wimbledon and joked it would give him more time to spend in the pub.

Kyrgios was forced to retire from the grass-court tournament at Queen's Monday after a nasty fall in his opening match against American Donald Young aggravated a recurring hip injury.

Asked if he was optimistic of playing at the All England Club in less than a fortnight, Kyrgios said: "Yeah, of course.

"Yeah 100 per cent. I mean I'd play Wimbledon if I was injured pretty bad anyway. I'm here anyway.

"I don't really have time to go home or anything. Yeah, I will be playing for sure."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 26, 2017 12:57 pm

EASTBOURNE, England (AP) — Petra Kvitova has pulled out of the grass-court tournament in Eastbourne because of an abdominal injury, a day after winning her first title since her playing hand was injured in a knife attack.

Organizers of the Aegon International confirmed Kvitova's withdrawal on Monday, a week before the start of Wimbledon. She won the Wimbledon title in 2011 and '14.

Kvitova won the grass-court Aegon Classic in Birmingham on Sunday by beating Ashleigh Barty 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the final.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Nadal: 'My level is not sufficient to play Wimbledon the way I want to'

'My current level is not enough to compete the way I want in Wimbledon. I will practice for seven days in London, where I will play two exhibition matches that hopefully will be useful. I have not been playing on grass for two years and we will see if I will be at a good level.

I skipped Queen's because I was returning from very tough months, but obviously I would have liked to be there because it would have been better.' So far he didn't have any physical issues, but it will be a question mark at least until the beginning of the tournament: 'I am aware that in the last years knees were a limit for me.

It didn't allow me to play at a good level. You will have to see how they react, because here I adapted progressively, but next week I will have to step up and play against High level professional players. I am optimistic, I only hope to practice and compete free.' Speaking about his recent results at the All England Club, Nadal added: 'In 2014 I reached fourth round and it was my best year since 2011.

I had many knee issues, in 2012 and 2013 I was doing so bad and in 2015 although knee was doing well, I was doing bad for other reasons. Last year unfortunately I broke my wrist before Wimbledon. I have not been playing well there for years and that's an handicap than who did a good job every year.

For me it's important to prepare well ahead of the first match. It would be fundamental to win first two round matches.' Speaking about who are the favourites, Nadal said Roger Federer is the player with highest changes for the way he played this year and because 'on this surface he won most big titles in his career', Rafa admitted'.

Finally about the chance of being World No. 1 again after Wimbledon, Nadal added: 'That's not my goal, even if ending the year in that position would be different. My priority is to play as well as I did in the first six months.'

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Tue 27, 2017 10:56 am

LONDON (AP) — Andy Murray has withdrawn from an exhibition match in London because of a sore hip, less than a week before the start of Wimbledon.

Murray's management company said the decision was made as a precaution.

The top-ranked Murray had been scheduled to play two matches at the Aspall Tennis Classic exhibition event at Hurlingham Club this week following his first-round loss at the Queen's grass-court tournament last week.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 30, 2017 9:46 am

British No.1 Johanna Konta has withdrawn from her semifinal match against Karolina Pliskova at the Aegon International in Eastbourne due to a spine injury.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 30, 2017 9:50 am

Advice to all the top-100 players: don't enter a tournament the week before a slam.
Siegemund ruined her French Open. She had a chance to do well there.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:INJURY List

Post by rex » Jun Fri 30, 2017 10:29 am

Weak players nowadays...... Lindsay, Venus and Kim to name a few played a ton of events the week ere the Slams and were none the worst for wear at such the next week. Venus, specifically in 2002, won the final of New Haven v Lindsay after playing 3 matches (qtrs, semis and final) within 24 hrs due to a rain delay, then reached the final of the USO losing to Serena. Lindsay after losing to Venus in that final, reached the semi of that same USO losing to Serena. Further, during the US Open series Venus won Stanford and San Diego, plus New Haven ere that USO.

A far different breed of player then, than what we have today, for you know nowadays that in back-to-back events, that if such a player won such, they will far more than likely get bounced in the lst round of that event the next week. Such is the caliber of player on this Tour at the moment.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Fri 30, 2017 11:01 am

Henin won Eastbourne in 2007 vs Mauresmo, and reached the SF in Wimbledon#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#In 2004, Henin won Sydney, followed by winning the AO that started right after that event....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#For true top players, it does not matter if they play an event in the week prior to a slam: the slams gives you a day of rest between every match and that should be more than enough.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Wozniacki also has a tradition of doing well in New Haven, followed by doing well at the US Open....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Graveller on Jun Fri 30, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"