ITF general talks

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Apr Fri 07, 2017 10:45 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Because the FRench will give the WC to Razzano and Co. as usual, while other players have a better chance of winning a match or 2 in those early rounds.

French Open cutt-off on April 9.
I don't know why people complain about locals getting WCs to host tourney's in a Nation's land. GoldenBox on the TF was clearly upset at Stateside scrubs getting WCs into IW and Charleston, thinking that Euro players should be given consideration for such, better ranked and talented. To a point, I agree, but I understand the politics of it. Wimby loads up their qualies and main draws with local Brits, who get bounced more often than not in the lst rd. It's just the way it is with Miami being the lone exception to the practice.

Off-topic:

On the TF there is a thread about Eugenie Bouchard getting a WC to play the ITF 80k in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida next week. Ace, I see that you got ripped to shreds over your comment about top-100 not being eligible to play ITF events. I, personally, don't care either way. However, in looking at the draw, which is a pretty good field, featuring Taylor, Jamie Loeb, Maddy Brengle, Ons Jabeur and Kayla Day amongst others, I noticed that Vickey Duval got a MDWC and is making her season debut after recovering from a torn meniscus. Good to see her back and I'll be tuning in to watch her play.

<a href="http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tou ... 0039932</a>
Last edited by rex on Apr Sat 08, 2017 2:38 am, edited 10 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Sat 08, 2017 9:19 am

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#rex#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I don't know why people complain about locals getting WCs to host tourney's in a Nation's land. GoldenBox on the TF was clearly upset at Stateside scrubs getting WCs into IW and Charleston, thinking that Euro players should be given consideration for such, better ranked and talented. To a point, I agree, but I understand the politics of it. Wimby loads up their qualies and main draws with local Brits, who get bounced more often than not in the lst rd. It's just the way it is with Miami being the lone exception to the practice.
Rei&nbsp; Sherazad is French#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Apr Sat 08, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:ITF general talks

Post by rex » Apr Sun 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Petra Martic won her 25k event in Italy. Watched same this morning and loved how she played, minimizing the slice-dominant ground game of hers that has derailed her career. Served well, constructed points excellently, came forward to my surprise quite often to put away the volleys for winners, complimenting her usual assortment of droppers. Yet, her ground game still lacks potency, but it's on clay where pace is eaten up. I'll just have to wait and see how this game of hers transitions to the hardcourt during the summer. Her ranking is in the 600's, but with a SR for injury she may qualify for some internationals and premier qualies. We'll see how this unfolds this summer, but good to have her back and congrats on her 25k title.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Sun 09, 2017 1:46 pm

One little girl is MIA .. :) We won't see her until the French Open qualifiers.. that sucks.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Apr Sun 09, 2017 1:54 pm

I don't get how Destanee is inactive for essentially 2 months prior to French qualies. She should be playing ITF warmups in Europe prior to, for she's now eligible to play 16 tournaments as a 17 year old, unless she's finishing high school in Aussie land in April and May.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Sun 09, 2017 2:03 pm

she is lucky the deadline to enter the French Open comes early. Otherwise, girls would have pushed her back in the ranking and she won't have been able to play unless Australia hands her a WC.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Apr Sun 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Agreed......

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:ITF general talks

Post by rex » Apr Mon 10, 2017 11:47 am

80K in Indian Harbor Beach, Fl, maindraw:

(1/wc)Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) v Q
Jennifer Elie (USA) v (SR)Anhelina Kalinina (UKR)
(wc)Ajla Tomljanovic (CRO) v (wc)Victoria Duval (USA)
(8)Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) v Q

(3)Taylor Townsend (USA) v Anna Zaja (GER)
Caroline Dolehide (USA) v Renata Zarazua (MEX)
An-Sophie Mestach (BEL) v Q
(6)Tara Moore (GBR) v Amanda Anisimova (USA)

(5)Ons Jabeur (TUN) v Elizabeth Halbauer (USA)
Barbara Haas (AUT) v Sofia Kenin (USA)
Alyona Sotnikova (UKR) v Kristie Ahn (USA)
(4)Marina Erakovic (NZL) v Sesil Karatantcheva (BUL)

(7)Jamie Loeb (USA) v Olga Govortsova (BLR)
Laura Pigossi (BRA) v Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN)
Lauren Albanese (USA) v (wc)Nicole Coopersmith (USA)
(2)Madison Brengle (USA) v Q

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Mon 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Wow.. that's a nicely crowded draw.
MIA for the next 2 months, Aiava :(
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Apr Mon 10, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Apr Wed 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Per the WTA website, Destanee got the call to join TA's Fed Cup team next week against Serbia. She's joining Gavrilova, Barty and Dellacqua. For her it's a big move and it could spell gold for her at the French...
Last edited by rex on Apr Fri 14, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.