Re:ITF general talks

Post by rex » Mar Sat 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Destanee wins the lst set, 6-2.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Destanee loses the 2nd set, 4-6. Her opponent stepped up and played quality games, put pressure on Destanee at 4-all and forced the break. Based on that level of play from the Czech, I have no idea who will win the 3rd. Nice match...

Her opponent is 22 years of age and a career ITF player at this point, highest ranking for singles is 187th, 9 titles with more than half are 10ks. Yet, plays quality tennis for this match, at least.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sat 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Destanee captures her 2nd ITF 25k title by winning the 3rd set, 6-2. Destanee went up 5-0 in the 2nd, before her opponent, Barbora Krejcikova, mounted a comeback. But, Destanee broke her on serve to finish the match. Yet, don't be deceived by the score, nor Destanee's 5-0 lead, for each game went to deuce, but Destanee finished with game point. The match was quite competitive and was duly impressed by the Czech's effort. Tho' she's right handed, her backhand is/was most effective, knew how to construct points and could finish from either side, in addition to dropping for points and had nice hands at the net for she bested Destanee in that regard. Imo, her game is better than 30-40% of the top-100, but she's been floundering on the ITF circuit at age 22. So, I can't say much outside of that for she hasn't even cracked the 150 mark in the rankings. Yet, liked her performance in this match.

Yet, complimenting Destanee as well on her game, for she started to dictate in the 3rd with her serve and finishing with her backhand and forehand from the baseline in competitive rallies, coming forward and nailing overheads for winners, as well as completing a couple of droppers for points, tho' the Czech was a little bit better in that dept.

This match is the 4th most enjoyable women's match I've watched all year and this is on the ITF circuit, rather than the Tour. The quality was top-notch. The other matches were Bethanies' match with Kate Siniakova that went 3 sets here in the current tournament in Miami and Kate's 2 wins in Shenzhen over Konta and Halep on her way to that title.

Congratulations to the talented Destanee and earned 3.9k for her effort.

Again, next week the same players in the draw are playing the same tournament at the same location. So, maybe Barbora and Destanee will meet again. If so, I'll be watching for sure, "if" it's at a reasonable hour.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Sun 26, 2017 9:54 am

Congratulations to the youngsters. She is really exciting to watch.
I hope she gets enough points to play the Qualifiers at the French open. If not, Tennis Australia should get her in. Wouldn't want a Main Draw WC to get Serena in R1. :)

Let her work her way through the Qualifiers.
If she can't do it, no big deal. She is young and she'll get there through her own ranking eventually.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Sun 26, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Sun 26, 2017 9:51 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#rex#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl# I have looked at the draw. And here is my SF match-up Predictions:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Top half#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#: [5]Barbara Krejcikova vs [ [4]Julia Glushko or Gabriella Taylor ]#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#Bottom half#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#: [3]Destanee Aiava vs [2]Lizette Cabrera#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#If that happens, Aiava's last 2 matches will be exciting again... Because she'll have to be at her best to stop the other hungry girls.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#And when she is challenged, watch how her whole game goes up another level: she puts up a fight. I love that in a young player.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#She thinks no one should break her... some attitude, I tell you...... lol lol lol.. Did Serena and her talk about that?  "Girl, the only point you control is your serve... You decide how to throw it, where to it, how fast to hit it... it's all yours so you got to own it".#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#When she is broken, she throws the kitchen sink at her opponent in the next game: backhand winner. forehand inside out winner. Ace or Service winner. Monster return.. It's an All Out War. :) :)  and she can be so intimidating with it... :)#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Please don't leave that game at the ITF level when you face the many scrubs wandering around the WTA. Crush all of them. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Only the Top Big Babes should send you packing. I have no problem with that. You'll get stronger and challenge them with time.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Sun 26, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Mon 27, 2017 10:55 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

If that happens, Aiava's last 2 matches will be exciting again... Because she'll have to be at her best to stop the other hungry girls. And when she is challenged, watch how her whole game goes up another level: she puts up a fight. I love that in a young player. She thinks no one should break her... some attitude, I tell you...... lol lol lol..

Did Serena and her talk about that? "Girl, the only point you control is your serve... You decide how to throw it, where to it, how fast to hit it... it's all yours so you got to own it".

When she is broken, she throws the kitchen sink at her opponent in the next game: backhand winner. forehand inside out winner. Ace or Service winner. Monster return.. It's an All Out War.
Calm down, Ace. Yes, indeed Destanee has loads of potential. Yes, she had a nice run at Brisbane and fared well while losing to Mona at the AO ere a packed house, receiving a rousing ovation from the Aussie's while walking off the court. Yes, in her last 3 25ks she's won 2 titles and a semi. Yes, she can currently handle about 40-45% of the top-100, which is rife with scrubs. But, she'll turn 17 in May and still has a long way to go. Just note the video press conference you posted at the AO after she lost to Mona, she couldn't sit still, hands were constantly moving and almost shaking in her seat while meekly and shyly answering a horde of questions from grown adults. She's right where she should be at this point in her career, gaining experience and self-confidence playing on the ITF circuit with players at her level.

Not knowing what is the ranking cut-off date for the French Open, respecting the 224 player field (singles and qualies) her current rank of 193rd qualifies her for qualies. If TA elects to sponsor her into the maindraw for the French over Tomljanovic, then that's fine, for she could get a favorable draw at the Slams. Since Slams draws are random and rankings devalued, she could end up in a draw with players ranked 128th playing a player 115th, 90th v 110th in the 2nd rd and so forth and blow by such a section of the draw, if placed there. Or, she could easily face Serena in the lst rd, like Taylor, who came through a playoff format to play the USO in '14. Either way she'll have the French experience this year and we'll have to wait and see how it unfolds.

Lastly, I'm surprised that she indicates clay is her best surface, for her game seems suited for hardcourt with the power in her serve and ground game to compliment her volleying skills, passing shots and dropper, adding to that mix is her tendency to come forward on deep balls, execute and finish from either side, unlike Osaka and Ostapenko. I guess that since she principally plays in Aussie land where clay courts are prominent, then I guess that's why she says clay is the best for her. So be it. Yet, I think she can play any surface, for her game is all-court.
Last edited by rex on Mar Tue 28, 2017 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Tue 28, 2017 8:51 am

The young star will be in action today.
First match on Court 1, she takes on Bozovic.
Should be a straight win.
then later, she plays the Doubles.
She won a Doubles' match last night. It was not streamed. Saw them lose once. She stinks in Doubles.. lol lol .. Her partner Alicia Smith basically carries the team... You can tell she is playing like it was a Singles' match .. :) But she is learning.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Mar Tue 28, 2017 8:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Tue 28, 2017 11:48 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Her match starts at 6 p.m. here in the Midwest. So, I may take a gander this evening.

I see that the Tessa lost her lst rder. Watched part of that when she was up in the 3rd by a game, then switched to Venus' match with Kuzzy. Came back and she was down 3-5.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Tue 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Destanee wins the lst set v Bozovic, 6-1. After the set she and her opponent "drag" the court.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Tue 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Divided sports viewing tonight. Destanee is up 3-0 in the 2nd and it appears this match in not in doubt. Switching to an NBA game (Heat v Plstons), while looking in on the match between Woz and Lucie....