Hopman Cup

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
CryFirefly
Accomplished
Accomplished
Hopman Cup

Post by CryFirefly » Jan Tue 01, 2019 8:48 am

Did anyone else get up early this morning to watch the mixed doubles match of Roger/Belinda vs. Serena/Frances? I was very excited that it was a live rubber, even if it's basically a glorified exhibition. Very cool to see Roger and Serena rallying against each other and serving to each other.

I also didn't realize that this was most likely the last Hopman Cup. I always really liked this tournament.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: Hopman Cup

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 01, 2019 9:04 am

I missed it; but I more regret missing Bencic vs Serena; it was apparently a good match, with Serena getting better towards the end, and with Bencic playing a rather decent level.

Germany vs Switzerland should be a great final:
Federer vs Zverev
Bencic vs Kerber

Germany the favorite imo
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

CryFirefly
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by CryFirefly » Jan Tue 01, 2019 9:16 am

Germany in theory had a cakewalk to the final based on their group. Group B I could have seen USA or the Swiss or even the Greeks making it to the finals. But Greece blew it right away with a loss to Great Britain.

I know they probably spent all their appearance fee money on Serena and Roger but you would think if it's the last ever Hopman Cup they would have gone all out and gotten Team Japan (Kei and Namoi) who would probably bring in huge numbers since Tennis Australia does it's best to draw in all of Asia.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 01, 2019 9:41 am

I would not have objected against a team Belgium with Goffin and Mertens - but I guess they have less international appeal...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"