Tournaments this week

Netherlands...maindraw...

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Thu 14, 2018 7:56 pm

<font color=brown>@ <b>Ace2Ace</b>:</font>

Viktoria is still in developmental mode at age 20, clearly not a finished product. Further, during the broadcast the commentator mentioned that Vikotria has 13 ITF titles (didn't know that), indicating to me that she knows how to win with an expectation to win. Her foundation is solid at this point. Now, it's just evolution during what promises to be a significant career. She has the game, talent and weapons to have such. Let her grow up and find her way, as with the others (Class of '97, tho' she's just a year younger, but including her with them in terms of promise). Her future is "lit"......
Last edited by rex on Jun Thu 14, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Thu 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Spoiled by Serena. Doesn't matter if you are 17, 18, 19, 20.
When you got a great serve, got to keep it up so it's there all match long. That's all I am saying.

When Kuzmo's serve is kicking, she's hard to break. So coach has to train her to make it consistent all match long, not just in the first set. That's part of the progress.

If rain allows her to take the court, she'll have to turn on her serve in the first 2 sets tomorrow. She's got her chances.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Netherlands...maindraw...

Post by rex » Jun Fri 15, 2018 7:42 am

#ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/33.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Ace, you can't equate these young girls with Serena. That's unfair to them. Let them evolve at their own pace. Viktoria's serve is more than decent and she gives you that strong lst serve at every moment. However, it's nowhere near Serena's, nor Venus at that age. But, it's good enough to enable her to hold serve. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Match today:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Lottner v Mertens:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Antonia won the lst set, 7-5. Is up 4-1 in the 2nd with Elise on serve and calling for her coach. Antonia's lst serve needs a little work (plus weight on her body). She doesn't have any aces in this match, but her lst serve is effective enough to not allow Elise to return it strong, which allows Antonia to either follow up at the net on a well-placed lst serve and put away a volley or fire off a forehand or backhand winner from the baseline. At 6-1 her lst serve should be lethal like Venus in her prime, Petra K. or Naomi Brody, who is just as thin, but will nail 20 aces in a match. Her serve needs just a little more work to put more power into such, but it's good enough now to enable her to hold serve. The rest of her game is nice from either side and I love how often she comes forward, like Petra and Venus to put away volleys at the net. Girl's got game and is a pleasure to watch. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Elise just held, down 2-4 here in the 2nd. Let's see if Antonia can finish this match. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Antonia holds but the game went to deuce. Elise gave Antonia 2 points in the the tiebreak to whip herself, for she had 2 easy makeable balls that should have been winners that she netted. Antonia a game away to win the match. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl#

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Fri 15, 2018 7:44 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Elise holds at love, a game that didn't last a minute. Now, can Antonia serve this out...

#ed_op#/i#ed_cl#

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jun Fri 15, 2018 7:55 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Yes she does and enters "her lst WTA quarterfinal" in her career.......unbelievable. Hardly is this girl a 139th ranked player with her game and talent. Nice win for her against a top-20 player in Elise....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Well.....got the match I want to see.......Antonia v Viktoria. Hope I'm awake, tho', been up all night.....#ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#img src="/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:49 am

So Bertens and Mertens are gone.
I didn't expect that.
And Coco in a killer TB 13-12? Will this go 18-18? :)

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:52 am

While I was typing, Coco wins 14-12. That got to be a painful match.
Kuzmova taking the court in about 40 minutes.
Lottner will be a tall order despite already playing a match today. Putting away Mertens shows the German loves to play here. The German knocked out Cibulkova in R1 last year.
Kuzmova got some heavy lifting to do.
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:53 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

unbelievable. Hardly is this girl a 139th ranked player with her game and talent. Nice win for her against a top-20 player in Elise....
Maybe she loves to play on Grass.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 15, 2018 8:55 am

Meanwhile Flipkens is driving the screaming lady crazy with, I will assume, some crazy slices. :) :) Up 6-4 and an early break 1-0

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 15, 2018 9:24 am

And Flipkens flips the screamer.
Amen.