victoria azarenka @vika7
Announcement tomorrow 📣
11:09 AM · Aug 21, 2022

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: VIKA Retiring Tomorrow?

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Mon 22, 2022 8:53 am

MARTA KOSTYUK DECLINES US OPEN UKRAINE CHARITY INVITATION DUE TO AZARENKA BEING PRESENT

Marta Kostyuk has been the most vocal Ukrainian tennis player on the Tour regarding the country's war with Russia.

Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Marta Kostyuke has been a vocal supporter of her country not holding back in interviews or on social media. She criticised fellow colleagues and tennis organisations for a lack of system support and called for the exclusive of both Russian and Belarussian tennis players fully.

To support the country the US Open is staging a charity event that will benefit the victims of the war and will feature players like Nadal, Alcaraz, Fritz and Victoria Azarenka. Asked about not participating herself Kotstyuk said:

"Of course, I received an invitation. I think all our players got them. When Lesya Tsurenko and I found out - I'm only talking about us now, because we didn't ask anyone - so when we found out that there would be representatives of Russia or Belarus at this event, I immediately said that I will not participate in this."

Kostyuk was bothered by the decision to include players from those countries being present without consulting whether Ukraninan players would be okay with it:

"First of all, no one asked the Ukrainian athletes if they wanted any of these players to be present. Of course, no one is interested in this, it is the Independence Day of Ukraine, but what Ukrainians think is not interesting, is it?"

"Secondly, I did not understand the reason why they called Victoria Azarenka. There was no open help from her in our direction. She did not communicate with me, but I know that she communicated with Serhiy Stakhovsky, with Gael Monfils in Madrid. There was no dialogue with me personally, although it cannot be said that I was invisible. Maybe I'm not that visible because I'm not ranked high enough to be talked to, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the fact that I've been active enough since the beginning of the war."

"So I don't understand why she's called, I can't understand why she's even going to do this. Knowing what kind of relationship she has with all of us. It didn't happen that she met with all of us and said, they say, girls and boys, here's 10 thousand for you, please, you know who needs to be helped. It wasn't close to that. She has no personal good relations with us,"

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Aug Mon 22, 2022 10:27 pm

Maybe she just doesn’t like you and doesn’t give a damn to kiss whatever ring you think you have.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Wed 24, 2022 12:54 pm

NEW YORK (AP) — Two-time major champion and former No. 1 Victoria Azarenka was dropped Wednesday from a pre-U.S. Open exhibition event raising money for humanitarian assistance in Ukraine.

Azarenka is from Belarus, which helped Russia launch its invasion of Ukraine in February. At least one Ukrainian tennis player, Marta Kostyuk, questioned having a Belarusian player participate in the U.S. Tennis Association’s “Tennis Plays for Peace Exhibition,” scheduled for Wednesday night in Louis Armstrong Stadium at Flushing Meadows.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 01, 2022 10:26 am

LOL. Azarenka playing Kostyuk right now. Grudge match for sure. The handshake at net afterwards should be legendary.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Oct Sun 23, 2022 8:59 am

I guess simona wont be in the year in Championship.

Jeff in Texas
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff in Texas » Oct Sun 30, 2022 9:30 pm

Anyone know what's going on with Grav? Haven't seen him around and just wondered (and I couldn't seem to send him a private message).

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Nov Tue 01, 2022 11:55 pm

No, sorry.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Thu 03, 2022 5:08 am

Been very busy with work and other stuff - been lived rather than living. It happened but puts money in the bank.
So no, I am not at the Russian front, ill, or in prison :-)

My ambition is to play a full season next year, and will try to complete the last evensts of this season.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"