DEL POTRO Scammed By Father

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
DEL POTRO Scammed By Father

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Fri 14, 2022 12:48 pm

Juan Martin del Potro Reportedly Bankrupt After Losing 30 Million Dollars Because of His Father

Juan Martin del Potro is on the verge of bankruptcy

Television presenter Karina Mazzocco revealed that Del Potro’s father nearly stole 30 million dollars from his son. Daniel Del Potro, the father of Juan, was in charge of his son’s finances from the beginning of his career. However, the big Argentine had no idea about the spending habits of his father. After the death of his father, the 33-year-old found about the million-dollar debts Daniel was in.

Mazzocco’s team revealed, “In the bank, he should not have more than 3 million dollars. It’s a lot of money, of course, but he thought he never had to work again in his life when he realized this disaster. ”

“Del Potro’s father, a veterinarian by profession, swindled his own son. Juan found himself with the worst scenario when he got into the numbers,” Mazzocco added. They also explained that Daniel squandered Juan’s money through various ill-advised investments.

Last year when his father passed away, Del Potro was heartbroken, as he wrote on Instagram, “You left us here with a broken heart, but we know that you are resting in peace as you deserve. Now you have joined your other angel, and I ask you to please take care of us and guide Mom, my sister, and me from heaven.”

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Re: DEL POTRO Scammed By Father

Post by Pyotr » Jan Fri 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Poor guy! Lose your father only to then find he was stealing from you.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Jan Fri 14, 2022 3:21 pm

His ATP bio indicates that Juan earned 25 mil and change up to this point in his career. So, apparently he's flat broke after his father, who he entrusted with his prize money, stole his money and squandered such in risky investment schemes w/o his knowledge.

Yet, he's only 33 and a former top-10 player. With the ATP in transition from the Roger, Rafael and Novak era and no dominant player as the Big 3 on the horizon and such players playing past age 35 and Roger at 40, Juan can recoup some of his losses, provided that his last wrist surgery is successful and allows him to resume his career successfully w/o any further complications. However, he's starting from "zero" and has a long way to go and win to recoup part of what he substantially lost by his father's mishandling of his winnings. Wishing him the best.

If you can't trust family, who can you trust?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Sat 05, 2022 5:10 pm

'This is farewell' - Juan Martin del Potro says he's likely to retire after Argentina Open

Tennis player Juan Martin del Potro has said he is likely to retire due to a knee injury.

Del Potro said the Argentina Open, which starts on 7 February, could be his last but he does have a wild card for the Rio Open later this month.

The 33-year-old Argentine won the US Open in 2009 and is a Wimbledon and French Open semi-finalist.

"I think this is one of the most difficult messages I will ever deliver," he said.

"I know that people are expecting me to return to tennis, but this may be more of a farewell than a return.

"I have strength to go forward but my knee is becoming a nightmare. I have been trying alternative treatments for a number of years, with different doctors and attempts to fix it. But I have still not found a solution. But I never imagined retiring from tennis without having the chance to say goodbye and I can't imagine a better tournament than Buenos Aires to do it.

"After these weeks we will see what happens with my future, but I am clear that I want to live like a person of 33 years and try to not have pain. It's a difficult decision, but I wanted to make it clear."

Del Potro, who has bronze and silver Olympic medals, last played in June 2019 and has had four operations on his knee in the time since.

The former world number three has slipped to 757th in the rankings.