All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
FLAVIA Unimpressed With Emma

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 21, 2021 10:35 am

'Something wrong': Tennis champ's brutal swipe at Emma Raducanu

Image Image

Former US Open champion Flavia Pennetta has launched a bizarre attack on Emma Raucanu, saying the teenage star's grand slam triumph is "not good for tennis".

Raducanu shocked the tennis world by winning the US Open and becoming the first qualifier in history to win a grand slam title.

And while the tennis world was completely captivated by the British teenager's extraordinary achievement, Pennetta was less than impressed.

The 2015 US Open champion reckons a qualifier should never be able to win a grand slam and is a bad look for the women's game.

"I don't like it. What is happening, this very strong discontinuity, in my opinion, is not good for tennis," the retired Italian told Corriere della Sera.

"In my time it could never have happened that a young girl played from qualifying, like Emma Raducanu in New York, to win a grand slam.

"Top athletes made too much difference. There is something wrong.

"Charisma is missing, so women's tennis is more difficult to sell."

Raducanu raised eyebrows after parting ways with coach Andrew Richardson after her US Open victory.

Richardson coached the teenage star for two years at youth level and linked up with her again in July on a short-term deal for the duration of her time in the United States.

However Raducanu said she was looking for a coach with more experience at WTA level.

“If any experienced coaches are out there looking, you know where to find me,” she said.

“I’m not joking, if anyone knows any experienced coaches."

Australia's Darren Cahill, Argentina's Carlos Rodriguez and Spaniard Esteban Carril have all been linked with the role, but it's the latter who looks set to begin a trial period with the 18-year-old.

Carril previously worked with Johanna Konta before being axed just weeks after she was named most improved player of 2016 and broke into the world's top 10.

Michael Joyce - the American coach who masterminded Maria Sharapova's rise to tennis stardom - says he can't understand Raducanu's decision to part ways with her former coach.

He's described taking over the role as the British teen's tennis mentor as somewhat of a poisoned chalice.

"I was really surprised with the wording of the statement that was released when Emma announced she was splitting with Andrew Richardson, saying she felt she needed someone with Tour-level experience," Joyce told Sun Sport.

“I didn’t like the statement. If you have a good coach and it works well, then you’d think you would want to stick with them. Why would you want a big-name coach?

“She’s a great player but it’s going to be a tough job for the next coach, as expectations are high.

“If she goes to the Australian Open next year and goes out early, people will say it’s because of the coach.

“I’d known Maria for quite a long time before coaching her, as I was her hitting partner. We got to know each other, we were on a journey.

“It’s a tough one for whoever comes in and works with Emma as they won’t have that relationship and they will be under a lot of scrutiny.”

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Re: FLAVIA Unimpressed With Emma

Post by Joylan1 » Oct Thu 21, 2021 3:56 pm

Flavia is right, unfortunately everybody's to afraid to say it. A qualifier winning a slam is a joke.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Fri 29, 2021 2:25 pm

It's no joke. She beat everyone that stood in her way. That's how it's done.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Fri 29, 2021 3:45 pm

Emma just lost 2 and 1 again. She'd better win something soon, otherwise that 'Billion-dollar Girl' tag might soon fade. In any event, she's now the new face of Dior. Can't fault her though for snatching those coins being thrown at her. If the stories are accurate, she'll never have to work again, even if she never wins another tennis match.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Oct Fri 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Its a joke because the top 10 players are a joke, she should been stopped.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Mon 01, 2021 3:05 am

Joylan1 wrote:
Oct Fri 29, 2021 10:58 pm
Its a joke because the top 10 players are a joke, she should been stopped.
I suggest you storm Flushing Meadows to stop the steal… 😂😂😂
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Tue 02, 2021 12:27 pm

SIMONA HALEP HAILS EMMA RADUCANU, SAYS RISING STAR WILL BECOME ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD

The rising British star has struggled since her shock triumph at the US Open a few months ago but SImona Halep has no doubts about how good Raducanu can become. However the Romanian star also stressed that there needs to be patience as there will be growng pain as Raducanu continues to develop her game.

Former Wimbledon champion Simona Halep has sung the praises of US Open winner Emma Raducanu saying she believes the Brit “will become one of the best players in the world”.

Radecanu became the first British woman in over 44 years to win a grand slam after her excellent run in the US Open which led to her lifting the trophy in a shock result.

Both Halep and the 18-year-old sensation are of Romanian descent, with the former world No 1 believing that Raducanu has what it takes to become the world’s best.

"She's already achieved the Grand Slam title so she's able to achieve everything.” Halep said.

“She now has the experience of winning the biggest tournament in tennis so I think she can easily make the top 10 and I think sooner than everyone else thinks because she's already close to that.

"What she achieved is unbelievable and it's all credit to her because she played so well and she played so many matches. I think her mentality was very strong and also her game.”

Raducanu won her first WTA Tour match since her US Open success, as she beat Polona Hercog and made it to the quarter-finals of the Transylvania Open before eventually bowing out.

Despite the 18-year-old’s amazing achievement in New York, Halep feels that Britain should cherish Raducanu’s recent success as it will take the youngster time to adjust to the procedures of the WTA Tour.

She said: “The pressure is not great for a player, even if she's so young she feels the pressure is normal, everybody does. You guys better enjoy her results, her tennis, the way she is, because she's super nice, and wait for her to grow up at this level because she just jumped after doing something great.”

The two-time grand slam winner also touched upon the importance of patience for the youngster.
"She will probably need some time to see how it is every week and then she will become much stronger."
Next up for Raducanu is the Linz open that begins on the November 6 as she looks to build upon the amazing success she achieved in the summer.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Tue 02, 2021 12:29 pm

EMMA RADUCANU BACKED BY ITF PRESIDENT DAVID HAGGERTY TO HAVE SIMILAR IMPACT ON TENNIS TO VENUS AND SERENA WILLIAMS

“They were game-changing for the sport. If Raducanu can build on the fantastic start to her tennis journey, why can’t her impact at Wimbledon and for Great Britain be similar?” ITF president, David Haggerty has backed US Open champion Emma Raducanu to emulate the impact on tennis made by US legends Venus and Serena Williams.

ITF president, David Haggerty believes that Emma Raducanu can reach the heights of the Williams sisters and transform tennis in Britain.

The 18-year-old sensation became the first British woman to win a grand slam in 44 years, since Virginia Wade's 1977 Wimbledon victory, as her magnificent run in the US Open saw her lift the trophy.

Haggerty, who was elected president of the International Tennis Federation in 2015 believes that Raducanu has the chance to elevate tennis in her country and compared her to the other successful tennis stars.

"As a proud American, I saw first-hand what Serena and Venus Williams’ successes at the US Open had on tennis in the States.” He told Telegraph sport.

“They were game-changing for the sport. If Raducanu can build on the fantastic start to her tennis journey, why can’t her impact at Wimbledon and for Great Britain be similar?”

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Sun 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Wimbledon honour Emma Raducanu with invite to join Roger Federer and Serena Williams in exclusive club

The 18-year-old burst onto the scene at the All England Club in July when she reached the fourth round as a wildcard.
Soon after, Raducanu shocked the sporting world by becoming the first qualifier to win a Slam, triumphing at the US Open.

Moreover, she became the first British woman to win a Major title since Virginia Wade at Wimbledon in 1977.

Following such an incredible few months, the All England Club has recognised Raducanu with the honour of an invite to become a member there.

Generally, Wimbledon champions are invited to join when they claim a title at The Championships. As such, members include eight-time winner Roger Federer and seven-time champion Serena Williams.

But Raducanu appears to represent an exception given her meteoric rise to the upper echelons of the sport.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Tue 09, 2021 2:23 pm

Emma Raducanu loses in Austria & set to announce Torben Beltz as new coach.