Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish
USO Day 11, 9/10/20

Post by rex » Sep Wed 09, 2020 6:58 pm

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM 7:00 PM

J. Brady (BLR)(28) vs N. Osaka (JPN)(4)
S. Williams (USA) vs Winner of V. Azarenka (BLR)/E. Mertens (BEL)

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/sch ... ule11.html

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: USO Day 11, 9/10/20

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Vika should be fresh as a daisy tomorrow against Ree at this rate so far in her match. Let's hope Mertens tires her out just a bit.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 09, 2020 7:33 pm

Vika wins 6-1, 6-0.
If Ree plays the way she did the last three or four rounds, she's out.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 09, 2020 7:47 pm

BTW, long hair suits Ree's hubby.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Thu 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Tight lst set, despite the lopsided breaker. Both strong on serve and due to such whomever blinks lst will lose the set, it appears. High quality stuff.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Thu 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Naomi blinked. 3rd set.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Fri 11, 2020 12:24 pm

At 1-2, 15-40 Brady hit a shot that was called out at the baseline, which led to a break, enabling Naomi to go up 3-1 in the 3rd. However, her coach told her to challenge, for he was in a position to see from his location that the ball landed on the line, but she elected not to. The replay showed the ball had landed on the line (barely). Who knows what would have happened if Jennifer had challenged, because she could have conceivably recovered her service game to tie thereafter, given that she and Naomi were able to effectively hold serve. She didn't blink, but just didn't challenge when she should have. Naomi was able to hold serve thereafter, as did Jennifer, but each game thereafter wasn't easy. Nice match between the two with big time serving and hitting, both players dictating their games.

Brady is now 25 and in her prime. Her bio says she's 5'10, but looks 6'0 to me. Always thought after seeing her early in her career she could make a name for herself if she could harness her game, become more proficient instead of fading when matches got tight with wild forehands and backhands. In this event she was more disciplined and precise, none of her matches going to 3 sets prior to her meeting Naomi, dictating and holding her own with her serve and ground game, especially that forehand. Now, if she maintains this level of maturity and proficiency she can move up and start qualifying for premiers and the Slams with higher rankings (she's now 25th via live rankings). This event she should give her loads of confidence to go forward. Top-15 and higher? Maybe, for she has the weapons and the game. It's up to her.

Re Serena and Vika....the way Serena was dominating early (all of the lst set) and early into the 2nd, I thought she'd win this match decisively in 2, but her ground game began to fall apart with Vika finding her form to begin dictating the rallies when Serena's serve wasn't as potent in her service game(s). Serena's ground game has been shaky ever since Lexington, a lot of errors and looped returns, but her serve continued to do massive damage. In this match with Vika she attempted to overpower Vika in the 2nd and 3rd sets with power that's not sustainable for 3 sets (decline by age is apparent). At her age she should change her tactics, imo, to working the point, playing the court strategically and come forward to put away volleys, instead of trying to blast winners from the baseline that is not sustainable for her at this point anymore. She can't "will" herself to do this as she did in the past, even though her competitive spirit remains as strong as ever, complimented, if one would call it that, by screaming and yelling. I had picked Vika to win this match, for I saw Serena's ground game in decline, while Vika had picked up her game in the Cincy event and this USO. Serena will likely play Paris and there will be a full complement of players there, save for Barty, and I don't think she'll get an easier draw than she had here at the USO. 24 seems more remote than ever and likely out of the question, unless she's playing someone like Svitolina and Bencic in the semis and finals, draw falling apart, if she gets that far.

Physically, I'd like to see Serena drop 20 lbs and do some conditioning running, which I think she doesn't. Her torso is compact and heavy and she's breathing heavily carrying all that heft. Yet, she still made the semis and I find that remarkable for a player her age, as well as reaching 4 slam finals since returning from childbirth (unprecedented). I have no expectations for Serena, though I would like to see her eclipse Court ere she retires. However, I don't see it happening, for her ground game is not there anymore, no matter how much she yells and screams and says in pressers that she can "improve" (egoism).

Lastly, I wish these commentators (Chris, Fowler, Mary Jo and others) will cease this nonsense about Serena still being able to dominate and dictate as if she's in her prime. Then, express "surprise" when she's not able to do so at near 40. One doesn't have to do an obit, but recognize the fact that what she has done by reaching semis and finals in premiers and Slams and stress the fact that it's still an accomplishment for someone her age and compliment that, but not placing a "standard" on her that's not realistic for a 40 year old player.

Congrats to Vika on reaching the final. Good to see that she has regained the form that made her one of the 3 best players in the game prior to childbirth and subsequent custody issues.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 11, 2020 2:26 pm

rex wrote:
Sep Fri 11, 2020 12:24 pm
At 1-2, 15-40 Brady hit a shot that was called out at the baseline, which led to a break, enabling Naomi to go up 3-1 in the 3rd. However, her coach told her to challenge, for he was in a position to see from his location that the ball landed on the line, but she elected not to. The replay showed the ball had landed on the line (barely). Who knows what would have happened if Jennifer had challenged, because she could have conceivably recovered her service game to tie thereafter, given that she and Naomi were able to effectively hold serve. She didn't blink, but just didn't challenge when she should have. Naomi was able to hold serve thereafter, as did Jennifer, but each game thereafter wasn't easy. Nice match between the two with big time serving and hitting, both players dictating their games.

Brady is now 25 and in her prime. Her bio says she's 5'10, but looks 6'0 to me. Always thought after seeing her early in her career she could make a name for herself if she could harness her game, become more proficient instead of fading when matches got tight with wild forehands and backhands. In this event she was more disciplined and precise, none of her matches going to 3 sets prior to her meeting Naomi, dictating and holding her own with her serve and ground game, especially that forehand. Now, if she maintains this level of maturity and proficiency she can move up and start qualifying for premiers and the Slams with higher rankings (she's now 25th via live rankings). This event she should give her loads of confidence to go forward. Top-15 and higher? Maybe, for she has the weapons and the game. It's up to her.

Re Serena and Vika....the way Serena was dominating early (all of the lst set) and early into the 2nd, I thought she'd win this match decisively in 2, but her ground game began to fall apart with Vika finding her form to begin dictating the rallies when Serena's serve wasn't potent in her service game(s). Serena's ground game has been shaky ever since Lexington, a lot of errors and looped returns, but her serve continued to do massive damage. In this match with Vika she attempted to overpower Vika in the 2nd and 3rd sets with power that's not sustainable for 3 sets (decline by age is apparent). At her age she should change her tactics, imo, to working the point, playing the court strategically and come forward to put away volleys, instead of trying to blast winners from the baseline that is not sustainable for her at this point anymore. She can't "will" herself to do this as she did in the past, even though her competitive spirit remains as strong as ever, complimented, if one would call it that, by screaming and yelling. I had picked Vika to win this match, for I saw Serena's ground game in decline, while Vika had picked up her game in the Cincy event and this USO. Serena will likely play Paris where there will be a full compliment of players, save for Barty, and I don't think she'll get an easier draw than she had here at the USO. 24 seems more remote than ever and likely out of the question, unless she's playing someone like Svitolina and Bencic in the semis and finals, draw falling apart, if she gets that far.

Physically, I'd like to see Serena drop 20 lbs and do some conditioning running, which I think she doesn't. Her torso is compact and heavy and she's breathing heavily carrying all that heft. Yet, she still made the semis and I find that remarkable for a player her age, as well as reaching 4 slam finals since returning from childbirth (unprecedented). I have no expectations for Serena, though I would like to see her eclipse Court ere she retires. However, I don't see it happening, for her ground game is not there anymore, no matter how much she yells and screams and says in pressers that she can "improve" (egoism).

Lastly, I wish these commentators (Chris, Fowler, Mary Jo and others) will cease this nonsense about Serena still being able to dominate and dictate as if she's in her prime. Then, express "surprise" when she's not able to do so at near 40. One doesn't have to do an obit, but recognize the fact that what she has done by reaching semis and finals in premiers and Slams and stress the fact that it's still an accomplishment for someone her age and compliment that, but not placing a "standard" on her that's not realistic for a 40 year old player.

Congrats to Vika on reaching the final. Good to see that she has regained the form that made her one of the 3 best players in the game prior to childbirth and subsequent custody issues.
Vee is even older and dominated Vika in straight sets just days ago. The litany of three setters undermined Serena last night. Vika was super fresh.