Tournaments this week

Kim Clijsters is coming back

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Jeff in Texas
Regular
Regular
Re: Kim Clijsters is coming back

Post by Jeff in Texas » Feb Sun 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Of course the camera can be misleading but if it isn't, it looks like she has a way to go to reach a competitive fitness level.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Sun 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Juicy is in much better shape.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Tue 11, 2020 12:58 pm

"Kim hits the ball very hard," Elise Mertens said. "I had to do my best to keep up. It is always nice to play against her because she is very motivated. It makes training even more fun. Her level is excellent and I hope I can train with her again this week. "

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Tue 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Venus Williams and Kim Clijsters to play Monterrey Open

Venus Williams and Kim Clijsters are set to take part in the WTA International event in Monterrey. These two ladies alone will surely attract a horde of crowd to the tennis courts. They boast of a combined tally of 11 Grand Slams in singles’ tennis.

Kim Clijsters was always a crowd favourite during her earlier playing days. It wasn’t difficult to see why. She had, and still has, an infectious smile and a kind heart. But when she stepped on court, she was a warrior.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Mon 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Kim Clijsters: Belgian shines in comeback defeat by Garbine Muguruza

Kim Clijsters produced a remarkable display in her first WTA match in nearly eight years, which ended in a 6-2 7-6 (8-6) defeat by Australian Open finalist Garbine Muguruza in Dubai.

The Belgian, 36, went toe-to-toe with Muguruza from the baseline, produced several stunning winners and came from a double-break down in the second set.

But Muguruza finally saw off Clijsters with a big serve in the tie-break.

This is the Belgian's second comeback, having first retired in 2007.

Back then, injuries and the intention to marry and have a child resulted in the 2005 US Open champion stepping away from the sport.

Clijsters made a successful return to tennis in 2009, adding two more titles at Flushing Meadows and an Australian Open crown in 2011 before announcing her plan to quit the sport again in 2012.

The Belgian, who now has three children, announced in September 2019 her decision to make a second comeback.

As a former world number one, Clijsters is eligible for unlimited wildcards at WTA tournaments, and she can choose the number of events she wishes to compete in - which she said was a major factor in her decision.

Clijsters, who has also won three Tour finals, lacked sharpness in the first set before going 3-0 down at the start of the next.

But she then began to find the sweet spots with her groundstrokes as Muguruza struggled with her own serve.

The Spaniard recovered her form and took the set to a tie-break, which was decided by a huge first serve.

The Belgian said: "I had a good feeling out there, I felt a pace I can handle. I felt like I was able to go toe-to-toe with her from the baseline.

"I have patience. I'm going to work my way into it and fight. We'll see what happens."

Former Wimbledon champion Muguruza added: "A player that can play incredible can play incredible again."

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Feb Wed 19, 2020 8:18 am

Overall, Kimmie looked good, except for her serve in the first set, but her forehand was harder than Mugu's. She came back in the second to push, but Garbine was just too strong!!

She'll get better!!

(Pretty soon she'll be Vee's first round, guarantee)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 14, 2021 5:43 pm

TENNIS NEWS - KIM CLIJSTERS WITHDRAWS FROM MIAMI, CHARLESTON EVENTS DUE TO CONCERNS OVER FITNESS

Former world number one Kim Clijsters made her tennis comeback in 2019, having not played tennis professionally for seven years, and she played three events which included the US Open last August. She was set to make her 2021 debut at the Miami Open on March 22, but the Belgian has pulled out due to concerns over her fitness.

Four-time Grand Slam winner Kim Clijsters has withdrawn from the Miami Open this month and the Charleston Open in April.
Her return to tennis in 2019 was halted by a medial ligament tear. She returned just as the Covid-19 pandemic hit March 2020.
Her comeback was then halted further by knee surgery last October and getting Covid-19 three months ago.

"I've had an intensive few weeks of training with my team," the 37-year-old wrote in a statement put out on Twitter.
"Unfortunately I am not where I need to be especially if I want to compete with the best.

IT'S DISAPPOINTING AND FRUSTRATING. I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO BE HARD WHEN I STARTED THIS JOURNEY - AND THERE HAVE BEEN CHALLENGES THAT ARE OUT OF MY CONTROL. I'M NOT READY TO QUIT... I'M GOING TO KEEP PUSHING AND SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: Kim Clijsters

Post by Graveller » Mar Mon 15, 2021 3:30 am

Graveller wrote:
Sep Thu 12, 2019 9:05 am
Two words: Bad idea

I feel the need to quote my initial reaction on the comeback-news in September 2019...

I still stand by those words :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"