PLAYER Asks Ballgirl To Peel His Banana

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
PLAYER Asks Ballgirl To Peel His Banana

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Tue 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Elliot Benchetrit hits back at critics over ball girl banana drama at Australian Open

(CNN)The tennis player at the center of a social media backlash at the Australian Open has hit back at critics after an on-court incident with a banana went viral.

Elliot Benchetrit, who came from behind to beat Dmitry Popko 4-6 6-2 6-3 in a qualifying round on Saturday, found himself embroiled in a sexism storm after video surfaced of the Frenchman asking a ball girl to peel a banana for him during a break in play.

The 21-year-old was swiftly told off by the chair umpire, John Blom, who informed him the ball girl "was not his slave," according to Benchetrit.

Spectators on social media platforms were quick to jump on the exchange, with tennis legend Martina Navratilova even retweeting the video with the caption: "What's next grapes? #entitlement. John did the right thing, that's for sure."

Alex Theodoridis
@AlexTheodorid1s
So this is the moment where Elliot Benchetrit asks the ballkid to peel his banana. I’m glad the umpire (John Blom) stepped in and told him off.

Embedded video
4:10 AM - Jan 19, 2020 · Melbourne, Victoria
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,177 people are talking about this

Now Benchetrit has offered his account of events, and insists he's amazed at the furore.
'At 6-5 in the final set, during the changeover, I asked the ball girl to peel the banana for me as I had put some cream on my hands in order not to sweat," he said.

"She had done it once before at the beginning of the match. But the second time the chair umpire stepped in and told me that the ball girl was not my slave and I had to peel the banana myself.

"I could not believe that the umpire said that and I find incredible how this situation got out of control on social media without people knowing what really happened on court."

Blom did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.

Benchetrit journey in Melbourne came to an end on Tuesday after he was defeated in straight sets 6-2 6-0 6-3 by Japan's Yuichi Sugita in the first round.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: PLAYER Asks Ballgirl To Peel His Banana

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 21, 2020 3:56 pm

What a fuss about nothing.... I have asked more than once to someone to help me if I had something on my hands like cream... no one ever experienced that as being treated as a slave...

It is weird that all those critics never have a problem with the fact that - after getting three balls for serving - most players throw the least good ball after inspection just on the ground, expecting the ball kid to come running and pick it up... little effort to actually throwing the ball back?
Or what about the same kids having to hold an umbrella over the players’ head against the sun during changeover. A bit like real slaves actually had to do in the past?

People need to stop getting offended for no reason.... Jeezes....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Wed 22, 2020 8:51 am

Since he had cream on his hands, I can understand!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Wed 22, 2020 3:23 pm

found himself embroiled in a sexism
Oh come on now. He would have asked if the kid was a boy. This has nothing to do with the kid's gender.
But I agree with the ref. Players should not ask the kids to peel their bananas or oranges. Should the kids tie their shoes too?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Wed 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Cream on hands doesn't impede peeling a banana.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Wed 22, 2020 6:36 pm

Slippery, lol, and he didn't want the cream on his food.