All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
MARIA, No Longer Top 350 Player

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Tue 21, 2020 8:30 am

Australian Open: Maria Sharapova set to drop out of top 350 after defeat

Maria Sharapova is not sure if she will be at the Australian Open next year, with a first-round exit meaning she is set to drop out of the world's top 350.

The five-time Grand Slam champion, who won at Melbourne Park in 2008, lost 6-3 6-4 to Croatian 19th seed Donna Vekic.

It was only the Russian's second competitive outing since September's US Open because of a shoulder injury.

Asked whether this might be her last appearance at the tournament, she said: "I don't know. I don't know."

The 32-year-old, who was given a wildcard, added: "I was fortunate to get myself to be here and thanks to [the organisers for] allowing me to be part of this event.

"It's tough for me to tell what's going to happen in 12 months' time."

This was the former world number one's earliest exit at the Australian Open since 2010 and she has now gone out in the first round in her past three Grand Slams.

"I put myself out there. As tough as it was, I finished the match and it wasn't the way that I wanted," she said.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: MARIA, No Longer Top 350 Player

Post by Graveller » Jan Tue 21, 2020 10:53 am

Big error in the article: it must be "one-time Grand Slam Champion".

#MeldoniumSlamsDontCount
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: MARIA, No Longer Top 350 Player

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Wed 22, 2020 8:55 am

LOL, her dress was pretty tho :P

I'm really sick and tired of the shoulder excuse ~ Writers and commentators bring it up repeatedly, even though she's been rehabbing it since 2008!! ENOUGH!!