Tennis Forum Update

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish
Tennis Forum Update

Post by rex » Dec Wed 04, 2019 2:23 pm

The Tennis Forum has been updated or changed..... In response to the change, members of such are trending negative to the change at 85%, including me. In addition, I can't find the men's forum, which had a link in the header.

Further negatives:

1). the original classic mode has been eliminated entirely (my preference). Now, there is a Light mode and a Dark mode. The light mode is glaring and the dark mode is too dark, tho' I use dark mode exclusively on YouTube and it's user-friendly.

2). unable to edit or delete a post. However, an explanation is that the edit option is only available for 24 hrs. Can't delete a post period.

3). they eliminated the recent discussion posts section on the right of the page. Got used to looking at same upon entering the site.

4). I think this change may hurt the Skan. But, we'll see next month......

https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/new ... t-82055134

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Forum Update

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Wed 04, 2019 3:08 pm

I am part of the 85% ..... :(
Yes, the new format is bad... hard to read. cluttered.
What was wrong with old format? At least here we changed because we had a hacker preventing us from posting.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Dec Wed 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Dec Wed 04, 2019 3:08 pm
I am part of the 85% ..... :(
Yes, the format is bad... hard to read. cluttered.
What was wrong with old format. At least here we changed because we had a hacker preventing us from posting.
Some people are suggesting that the reason for the change, not only to the TF website but also the ITF and WTA websites, is to make it user friendly for the phones and tablets, but making it uncomfortable for PC and desktop users, the latter myself. Clearly, I don't like it and I have indeed found the new ITF website useless, as well.

Lots of changes lately on the web and cable making my use of such discomforting and incomplete. I duly miss the ESPN forum for tennis and other sports, as well as the IMDb forum for movies where there were good discussion groups about the classics. Then, Comcast makes TCM a subscription service by lumping it with a sports package nobody wants, based on the "lie" that the site averages only 2 movies a month viewership for their channel. Protests to the latter have been massive, but falling on deaf ears at Comcast, apparently.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Wed 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Talking about comcast, I was at their office yesterday threatening to cut them off and go with Satellite. Not only they brought my cable and internet bill down to $109, they gave me a digital package that contains Tennis Channel.
I don't really watch TV. I get all my news on the internet. If I am in front of TV it's to watch a movie on Roku (Nexflix and all ...).
Maybe now I can watch a few classics on Tennis Channel. I ditched it it long ago because they were never showing any LIVE tennis.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Thu 05, 2019 8:37 am

So I tried Tennis Channel on Comcast. They were showing Barty vs Anisimova at the French Open. The HD picture was breathtaking on 65" Philips. Too bad they won't show much LIVE tennis.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Dec Thu 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Ace, my 2 year contract with Comcast expired last month. Now, I'm in limbo, because I want to leave but there are no preferable alternatives. I had AT&T for 2 years, because Comcast was jacking up their service for a bundle of phone, tv and internet to way over $250 a month. However, the 2 years with AT&T were horrible. I had more service interruptions and outages in those 2 years than in the previous 15 years with Comcast, for AT&T operates on a phone line (weak) and I don't like Wi-Fi. Never going back and the Dish is out of the question due to service interruptions prompted by adverse weather conditions and other problems, I've learned. WOW cable hasn't progressed to where I currently live. Yet, even with them I see that they have problems that I don't understand, for they are a cable outfit and cable is more secure and reliable than the others. I'm considering a reduced package with Comcast, but I don't know how it'll unfold, for I can't find their up-dated programming packages on-line to make a choice. So, like you, I'm going to have to pay them a visit.

Agreed, I don't watch much tv either and I get my news off the 'net (Common Dreams, Huff' Post, Daily Kos, the Daily Mail, the Brit paper the Guardian, YouTube broadcasts for the most part......main stream media is sheet), as well. I spend most of my time on-line at various sites, but watch such on the tube at times, like Netflix via Apple TV, YouTube and TC+. I'm in limbo as far as TC+ because they don't say if they are in business next year with Amazon coming on board. At the moment it's working for me on-line on my Mac.

Re the Tennis Channel, I don't know why you say that the TC doesn't show "live" tennis on tv, for I watched the YEC for the ladies on such and other matches throughout the year. Yet, they continue to prioritize the men's matches "live" over the ladies, save for Serena's matches for the most part, in addition to having only one cable channel on Comcast. For me last year's WTA was satisfactorily viewed either way via TC+ on-line with the option of watching matches on the tube via the TC+ app via Apple TV, which is mysteriously missing at the moment, or the TC on cable. I was totally satisfied with TC+ this past season, save for TC's butchering of the French with limited court viewing and the termination of their broadcast with matches pending in the evenings, having to find a rogue Russian stream to view later matches. Yet, it's unclear at the moment how this is going to unfold next month for the Pacific and the rest of the year....

Re latest tennis forum update......comments continue to be negative to such. But, I dislike how underhanded they've become in regards to such, just like Comcast stifling protests regarding the move of TCM to a subscription by blocking and closing comment threads on the change at their website. At the TF they are closing/deleting threads on the General Message forum thread relating to the update, for the feedback has continued to be negative and burying the thread, per link in the OP, in the Non-tennis thread so that members/posters can't find it. They'd have more negative comments if this were not the off-season, but will definitely get more negative feedback once the season begins in January as posters return to the site for the start of the season, when I think they will lose members or become distracted, as they lost hundreds after that password fiasco a couple of years ago, jeopardizing, imo, your Skan.

Lastly, the light/dark mode for viewing has to go. It's hard on the eyes. Imo, they should adopt the color scheme for Tennisgamers, which would make for better viewing at least.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Fri 06, 2019 9:45 am

I exaggerated a bit about Tennis Channel. I meant they don't show enough LIVE women's tennis. It was frustrating to turn it on during a tournament to see they were showing tennis matches from ... 3 centuries ago...
...or showing one LIVE men's match before going back to their usual old tapes. I couldn't take it and cancelled the subscription.
As per the comcast phone, I remember once they suggested to carry my cellphone too but I was not interested. I have a family pack with Verizon. But now I am curious about how much they would charge me for the phone, compared to Verizon. I might ask next time.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Dec Mon 30, 2019 12:44 pm

I see that TC+ remains in business, for I just received my automatic renewal for TC+ at $99, a service for which I satisfactorily watched the ladies last year. Now, I'll have to see how Apple TV handles such, for its icon is currently missing from their menu. Yet, I can download the app, per TC+. I'll see if that can be done for tv viewing, as an option...

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Dec Mon 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Wasn't even aware of Tennis Forum. Almost all the SKAN participants come from old ESPN through TAT or TG. But if there are TF posters interested that would be good for the SKAN.

AO just around the corner ...
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Dec Tue 31, 2019 1:29 pm

PeterSkan wrote:
Dec Mon 30, 2019 7:09 pm
Wasn't even aware of Tennis Forum. Almost all the SKAN participants come from old ESPN through TAT or TG. But if there are TF posters interested that would be good for the SKAN.

AO just around the corner ...
For the past 3, 4 years, over 80% of the participants are coming from TF. We have a huge number of friends there.