CHEATING: Alex Zverev

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
CHEATING: Alex Zverev

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:26 pm

One of the best young stars in tennis denied cheating after a camera appeared to catch him breaking the rules by using his phone

Alexander Zverev denied that he cheated by using his phone during his defeat by Stefanos Tsitsipas at the ATP Finals in London on Wednesday.

Footage on the Tennis Channel appeared to show the 22-year-old using a phone hidden away in his bag during a changeover in the second set.

The ATP forbids the use of unauthorized electronic devices on the court to prevent match-fixing and coaching. Depending on the type of activity, doing so could be considered a "corruption offense," which carries a maximum fine of $250,000 plus any on-court earnings.
"I don't know what they saw, but it was definitely not a phone," Zverev said, according to the BBC.

The ATP has since confirmed there was no breach of regulations.

Alexander Zverev said he definitely did not use his phone to cheat during his defeat by Stefanos Tsitsipas at the ATP Finals in London on Wednesday.

Footage captured by the Tennis Channel appeared to show the 22-year-old scrolling through a phone hidden away in his bag during a changeover in the second set of the match, which Zverev lost 6-3, 6-2.

Ben Rothenberg ✔ @BenRothenberg · 23h
Tennis Channel catches Zverev apparently using his phone during last changeover, nice spot. Very much against the rules.
Ben Rothenberg✔ @BenRothenberg

Zverev was not particularly slick about the phone use either. He’s down a double break in this set, so it hasn’t much helped.

The ATP's rules forbid the use of unauthorized electronic devices on the court to prevent match-fixing and coaching. Depending on the type of activity, doing so could be considered a "corruption offense," which carries a maximum fine of $250,000 plus any on-court earnings, as well as a three-year ban.

"I don't know what they saw, but it was definitely not a phone," Zverev told reporters after the match, according to the BBC.

He added: "My phone was in the locker room. I always leave it there."

When asked what exactly he was playing with in his bag, he said: "I mean, a water bottle? Empty water bottle maybe?"

The ATP later confirmed there had been no breach of regulations.

Zverev next takes on Daniil Medvedev on Friday. A win would be enough to seal his place in the tournament's semifinals.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: CHEATING: Alex Zverev

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Sadly, it's not the first time he's had to deny cheating. He was accused of using Meldonium.