All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
KIM'S Comeback Postponed

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 04, 2019 10:25 am

Clijsters announces delay to second return from retirement

Kim Clijsters has postponed her return to action due to her ongoing recovery from a knee injury after announcing the end of her second retirement.

The 36-year-old player has abandoned her plans for a January return to continue rehabilitation.

The Belgian said: "It's a setback but I'm determined as ever to get back to the game I love."

Clijsters retired in 2007 but returned after the birth of her first child. She played in 2009 before winning three more Grand Slams, making four in total, and retired again in 2012.

She planned to make a second return to action after making her announcement in September this year, and said January 2020 was her provisional target.

Cijsters is entitled to wildcard entries at every WTA tournament due to being a former world number one.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KIM'S Comeback Postponed

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Mon 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Looking forward to Kim vs Gavrilova. lol lol lol

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Dec Mon 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Kim Clijsters targets March return 7 years after retiring

BRUSSELS -- Kim Clijsters plans to make her delayed comeback to tennis at the Monterrey Open in March, more than seven years after her second retirement.

Clijsters said on Monday she accepted wild cards into the Mexican hard-court event which begins on March 2, followed by Indian Wells from March 11, then the Charleston clay tournament from April 6.

The former No. 1 and four-time major champion, who already is a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, announced her comeback attempt in September. Her plans were delayed in November when she tore a ligament in her right knee.

Kim Clijsters is planning another comeback. Nicolas Asfouri/Getty Images
"I am really pleased with my progress and it's been great to get back on the court and play tennis again," Clijsters said in a statement. "It's been a setback but has really shown me how determined I am to return to the game I love."

WTA rules allow her, as a past Grand Slam champion, to receive unlimited wild-card invitations to tournaments and, as someone who is older than 30, to opt out of mandatory appearances at certain events.

The 36-year-old Clijsters left the tour in 2007 and got married and had the first of her three children. She returned about two years later and won her second and third U.S. Opens and an Australian Open. She retired again in 2012 and was working in television.

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:27 am

Did she run out of money or something?
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:35 am

PeterSkan wrote:
Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:27 am
Did she run out of money or something?
I think so. Kids want the latest iphone. :)

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:40 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Jan Fri 10, 2020 10:35 am
I think so. Kids want the latest iphone. :)
Dude, stop. :lol:
The beauty about the WTA is people retire for a few years. I think these vets should do full time doubles.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Mon 13, 2021 8:28 am

Sept 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Kim Clijsters has taken a wild card for the Chicago Fall Tennis Classic next month, the Belgian said on Thursday, as she prepares for her first competitive appearance on the women's tour since last year's U.S. Open.

The WTA 500 hardcourt event is scheduled to be held from Sept. 27 to Oct. 3.

"Thanks for the wildcard @ChiTennisFest," Clijsters tweeted. "Looking forward to visiting Chicago for the first time and getting back on tour again."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: KIM'S Comeback

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Tue 28, 2021 9:48 am

Battling 'inconsistency' in return, Kim Clijsters, 38, loses in first round of Chicago Fall Classic

CHICAGO -- Kim Clijsters lost Monday in her latest return to the WTA Tour, dropping a three-setter against Su-Wei Hsieh in the first round of the Chicago Fall Tennis Classic.

It was Clijsters' first match since a first-round loss at the 2020 U.S. Open a little more than a year ago. That was part of an 0-3 record last season after the former No. 1-ranked player made a comeback that was interrupted by knee surgery in October and when she got COVID-19 in January.

Clijsters, a mother of three who wakes up at 5 a.m. at her family's home in New Jersey to train, received a wild card for the Chicago tournament. But she was eliminated by Hsieh, an Australian Open quarterfinalist who closed out a 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 victory in 2 hours, 18 minutes.

"Some good things, some bad things and inconsistency," the 38-year-old Clijsters said. "But I think for me the most important thing is that, what I talked with my coach and my trainer about, my fitness coach, was physically being able to get through these matches without big concerns. That was the main goal.

"I came close today, but still have a good feeling about, you know I've made progression and I think that's the most important thing."
lit after winning US Open title

Clijsters made it to the French Open final as a teenager in 2001, part of an 0-4 mark in Grand Slam title matches before a triumph at the 2005 U.S. Open. Then came U.S. Open titles in 2009 and 2010 and an Australian Open trophy in 2011.

"We all know she's a very great, great, great player," Hsieh said. "Outside the court she's very nice, very polite, very kind, so I've always liked her a lot. ... I'm lucky I didn't play her 10 years ago."

Clijsters is staying in Chicago to play doubles with Belgian countrywoman Kirsten Flipkens. But she isn't sure about her plans for the rest of the season.

"I would like to play Indian Wells if I can, if the body holds up good," she said. "So at the moment, it's all fine. So I'm excited to try to play many matches and I'm really looking forward to World Team Tennis as well. That's where last year I really felt a big improvement."

Next up for Hsieh is No. 6 seed Ons Jabeur, who received a bye into the second round.

Danielle Collins, Jessica Pegula and Veronika Kudermetova also advanced on Monday. American Madison Keys retired from her first-round match against Belarus' Aliaksandra Sasnovich because of a right shoulder injury.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 03, 2021 8:47 am

Kim, from Belgium, is now living in New Jersey? Note the aforementioned 3rd paragraph.

Of note, Su-Wei has now taken out 2 former women slam champions at the 2 latest Chicago events..... She dismissed Venus in Chicago earlier, now Kim at this 500k.

Kim's next event is Indian Wells where she has a wildcard to the main draw.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Oct Thu 07, 2021 3:46 am

Her husband is American, and was a professional basketball player in Belgium and then became coach. They apparently live 50/50 in USA and Belgium.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"