Barty wins 2019 YEC

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Barty wins 2019 YEC

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Sun 03, 2019 8:17 am

I didn't watch the match but Congrat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashleigh Barty beat Elina Svitolina in a high-quality match to claim the WTA Finals title and pick up the biggest prize money ever offered in tennis.

The Australian world number one won 6-4 6-3 to take the season-ending title in Shenzhen and a record $4.42m (£3.42m).

Barty, 23, had lost all her five of her previous matches against the Ukrainian defending champion.

But she came through a testing second set, featuring five breaks of serve, to take victory when Svitolina netted.

Relive Barty's victory over Svitolina
Live scores, schedule and results
Alerts: Get tennis news sent to your phone

Barty ends stunning year with another major achievement

Whatever happened in the Shenzhen final, Barty's lengthy list of achievements in a spectacular season would not have been diminished.

But she made sure she capped an extraordinary year by becoming the first Australian to win the WTA Tour finals since her role model Evonne Goolagong Cawley in 1976.

What makes her success even more remarkable is the fact Barty stepped away from the tour following the 2014 US Open, saying she felt tennis was a "lonely sport".

The Queenslander switched to cricket and played for the Brisbane Heat in the women's Big Bash.

After rising to the top 20 last year, Barty's unique mix of power and variety, intelligence and creativity, has taken her to the top of the women's game with titles on all surfaces.

Her 2019 achievements include:

Winning first Premier Mandatory title at the Miami Open
Claiming her first Grand Slam singles title at the French Open
Winning the Birmingham title to rise to world number one for the first time
Finishing the year as the world's top player
Becoming the fifth player to win the WTA Finals on her debut

"It has been a remarkable year tonight was about coming out and fighting to the end. I couldn't be prouder. It has been an incredible year," Barty said.

"I'm proud of myself and the team, we tried to put ourselves in the biggest situations and occasions and we managed to do that."

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: Barty wins 2019 YEC

Post by rex » Nov Sun 03, 2019 10:45 am

Congrats to Ashleigh, a very nice year for her indeed.....

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: Barty wins 2019 YEC

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Sun 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Umm, big pay off though no one watched. This lacks bang for the buck. All buck no bang.