All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
TSITSIPAS Bored Playing Medvedev

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Thu 17, 2019 10:43 am

TSITSIPAS "BORED" BY MEDVEDEV; ZVEREV THINKS THE OPPOSITE

When Stefanos Tsitsipas dropped to 0-5 against Daniil Medvedev after losing their semifinal clash in Shanghai last week, the 21-year-old was frustrated in his inability to dictate the battle on his own terms.

In explaining the sensation of facing the Russian, Tsitsipas had no problem defining the matchup with one word: boring.

“I don't mean to be rude at all, actually, at all, but it's just boring. It's boring. It's so boring that—I don't know,” he told press in Shanghai. “So he has a huge serve, and if you manage to get it back, it's just countless balls inside the court.”

Upon hearing about the Greek’s description of his game, Medvedev has his own thoughts about Tsitsipas. In a translated interview with Russian outlet Sport-Express, the world No. 4 said, “I’m not taking Tsitsipas seriously anymore. Especially after his words about the Laver Cup celebration.

Alexander Zverev, who lost for the first time in five meetings when he finished runner-up to Medvedev in Shanghai, disagreed with Tsitsipas's assessment.

“I actually think the opposite. Daniil is somebody that plays a way that we have never seen before. So you can see it both ways,” Zverev said. "Maybe he doesn't do huge winners or jumping forehands or anything like that, but he plays a style that we have never seen before. That is not boring to me.”

As for his take on the dynamic between Medvedev and Tsitsipas, Zverev avoided taking the bait.

“Stefanos and Daniil have a weird relationship a little bit. So I will leave that to them.”

The match umpire had to step in at the end of the second round match after Russia’s Medvedev lost his cool with the Greek rising star. During their clash, both players expressed frustration with each other after lengthy toilet breaks. Medvedev took his at the end of set two followed by Tsitsipas midway through the decider. The Russian also also criticised his opponent for not apologising for a netcord.

Medvedev claimed the win 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, but a comment from his rival afterwards triggered an outburst from the Russian. Who called the Greek ‘a small kid who doesn’t know how to fight.’ It is unclear what Tsitsipas said as the on-court cameras failed to pick it up.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: TSITSIPAS Bored Playing Medvedev

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Fri 18, 2019 6:45 am

Good man, Sascha!! Stay out of it, LOL!!