Tournaments this week

15-year old Coco @ Linz

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
rex
Commish
Commish
Re: 15-year old Coco @ Linz

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:22 am

Cori breaks, thanks to 3 wild errors by Jelena, who also got an unsportmanlike conduct warning for arguing a challenged call that she lost, but actually argued the previous ball that she thought was out in the right corner away from the Chair.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:26 am

Cori holds thanks to a wild forehand by Jelena that landed 20 feet off the court, self-imploding.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:29 am

Cori is up 4-0 here in the 3rd, Jelena most compliant....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:31 am

Cori is now up 5-0. Something has happened to this broadcast. A whole game went missing during the video.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:40 am

Jelena holds. Cori to finish at 5-1?

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 8:45 am

Nope.... now......Jelena can come back for she clearly has more power than Cori and is deftly handling her droppers, covering the court very well and putting away the volleys. In her service game Cori's lst serve must do damage, for Jelena is exploiting everything else in Cori's game and is now dictating the rallies. However, you never know what Jelena will do for the girl is massively erratic.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Oct Sun 13, 2019 9:02 am

Cori wins, the last point won on a challenged call by Cori on the baseline that was called in by the line judge, subsequently overturned per video. Ere that point, Jelena hit a backhand into the net to go down 30-40. The error was unforced....smh. Nevertheless, congrats to Cori on her lst WTA title as a 15 year old. Now, "live rankings" has her 71st. Nice start to her career....

What can I say about my girl, JO, self-imploded as I suspected. A member of the o/s Class of '97 but at age 22 has very little court discipline, beats herself quite often and is the reason she's not a top-10 player anymore. Has the power, but clearly lacks the proficiency and game discipline to regain her top-10 status. Erratic as all get-out. Her challenged calls were never sustained in the match and were hit way long. Marion Bartoli was her coach here and coached her to the final, but there is clearly a lot of work to do to bring her up to speed. Keeping hope alive for Jelena for I know that she's more than capable to be an asset to this Tour.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sun 13, 2019 9:15 am

Congrat Gauff !!!!! Well done.
I remember her losing a 3rd leading 5-1 against Baczinsky at Indian Wells. Looks like the same was happening here but she got herself together and stopped Ostapenko cold.
Now Gauff is higher than Taylor Townsend in all rankings: WTA official Ranking, WTA LIVE Ranking, WTA Year Ranking :)
Gauff #71
Townsend #83.
It pays to get out of the country and play WTA tournaments. You don't have to think you are going to lose in R1 every time you leave the country.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Oct Sun 13, 2019 10:08 am

Her father and coach, Corey Gauff, then came onto court to give his daughter some encouragement. He said: "Just relax, you're not going to sprint to the finish line, you're going to walk to the finish line.

"Trust your shots. Calm down, take your mind to another place, to a practice match. Just play, don't think about negatives just think about positives. Yesterday if you know you had 5-2 you'd take that, you're in control."
"I'm still overwhelmed and shocked," Gauff said after her victory on Sunday.
"I guess it's crazy to say it's my first WTA title.
"This was definitely not on the calendar at the beginning of the year, because I didn't think I'd have a chance to get in, and now I'm the champion, so it's crazy.

"It's just literally insane that I got in as a lucky loser and now I'm the champion. My dad told me when I got in, before the first main-draw match: 'You can't lose twice in the same tournament!' I'm sure he never thought it would come this far, to being the champion, but I guess he was right."