Naomi Osaka wins in Osaka

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Naomi Osaka wins in Osaka

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Sun 22, 2019 12:08 pm

TOKYO: Japan’s Naomi Osaka ended an eight-month title drought by winning the Pan Pacific Open in her home city on Sunday, her first trophy since her second consecutive Grand Slam triumph at the Australian Open in January.
The former world number one overwhelmed Russia’s Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2, 6-3 in just over an hour to make it third time lucky in finals at the tournament after finishing runner-up in 2016 and 2018.
The US-based star, winner of last year’s US Open, was born in Osaka and it was clearly a happy homecoming for the 21-year-old who beamed and smiled her way through a dominant week on court.

She became the first Japanese player to win the Pan Pacific title since Kimiko Date in 1995.
“I have played finals here. This is my third time. So, I am really glad that I was able to win, and for it to be in the city where I was born makes it really special,” Osaka said.
“I think my serves have been doing really well the last two matches,” she said.
“I think that definitely helped me out especially today since she (Pavlyuchenkova) is such a great returner,” added the big-hitting world number four who stormed through the tournament without dropping a set.

Pavlyuchenkova had no answer to Osaka’s powerful and precise serving as the Japanese won a perfect 100 percent of points when her first serve was successful and battered down four aces.
Osaka raced into a 3-0 lead early on and was rarely troubled thereafter as the Russian world number 41 was outclassed, unable to force a break point while the home crowd favorite broke Pavlyuchenkova twice in the first set and once in the second set with an array of powerful groundstrokes from both wings.
Osaka’s victory march was momentarily interrupted when her apparent match-winning ace was overruled after a Pavlyuchenkova challenge.

But it mattered not as a wide-angled Osaka backhand when the point was replayed sealed the match moments later when the Russian netted.
The victory avenged Osaka’s defeat to Pavlyuchenkova in their only prior encounter, when the Russian beat the top seed in straight sets en route to the 2017 Hong Kong Open title.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1557911/sport

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: Naomi Osaka wins in Osaka

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Mon 23, 2019 8:45 am

She played great!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Wed 25, 2019 1:38 pm

JN;81875269 wrote:Comedians sorry for saying Osaka 'needs bleach'

Naomi Osaka was the subject of remarks made by Japanese comedy duo A Masso on the same day that the two-time Grand Slam champion lifted her first trophy since January. Koji Watanabe/Getty Images

Reuters

2:51 AM CT

A Japanese comedy duo and their management company have apologised after the pair reportedly said during a live event that Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka "needed some bleach."

Japanese media said the duo, known as A Masso, made the remark during an event Sunday, the same day that Osaka lifted the Pan Pacific Open trophy in Tokyo -- her first title since the Australian Open in January.

A Masso also said Osaka "is too sunburned."

In separate messages on the website of their management company, Watanabe Entertainment Co Ltd, both women apologised for making "inappropriate, hurtful remarks," but did not refer to Osaka by name.

"Though we should have thought about it, we made remarks that hurt many people, something we will never do again," one of them wrote.

"We sincerely apologise for making the specific person feel uncomfortable, as well as for everyone else connected to the event. We also sincerely apologise for causing trouble."

Watanabe Entertainment, also without naming Osaka, added their own apology for "remarks inconsiderate of diversity in an era where diversity is respected", saying the duo had been severely warned and steps had been taken to raise their awareness of the issue.

Neither Watanabe Entertainment nor Naomi Osaka's management office in Japan was immediately available to comment.

Osaka, who will turn 22 next month, was born in Japan to a Haitian father and Japanese mother, but moved to the United States when she was young.

In January, Japanese noodle company Nissin had to remove a controversial commercial in which a cartoon character depicting Osaka was shown with pale skin and light brown hair after it prompted an outcry. Nissin said it had not intended to "whitewash" Osaka, and promised to pay more attention to diversity issues.

[ESPN]
There we go again.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Sep Wed 25, 2019 1:38 pm
There we go again.
That's typical of Asia in general, though you will see two camps of women in Japan, those who sun tan almost to an extreme and those don't almost to an extreme. The sun tanned women are looked down upon as westernized or as peasants.

To be fair, I did see Japanese comedians make fun of the white skin obsession as well. I also saw an opinion piece theorizing that sun tanned Japanese girls after after Black men, whereas bleached skinned and blonde haired girls are after White men.

In any event, white skin is idealized which is why the vast majority of their models in advertising are White, and by White I mean Caucasian with alabaster white skin primarily from Eastern Europe. Even White models complain they're told to bleach their skin to work in Asia.