SERENA, Post Self-Defeat

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA, Post Self-Defeat

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 11, 2019 8:32 am

Serena Williams Stuns In Sexy Slip DressAt ‘The Game Changers’ Premiere With Hubby Alexis Ohanian

Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian hit the red carpet together 2 days after her U.S. Open upset to 19-year-old Bianca Andreescu. The couple cleaned up nice for a date night at the premiere of ‘The Game Changers’ on Sept. 9!

Serena Williams and husband Alexis Ohanian had a sweet night out at the New York City premiere of The Game Changers on September 9. The tennis legend stunned in a satin slip dress with a v-neck and yellow snakeskin pumps. Meanwhile, the Reddit co-founder looked dapper in a tie-less dark suit.

Serena, who’s been in town for the U.S. Open and her upcoming New York Fashion Week show, let her blonde hair down with voluminous curls. She wore minimal makeup and accessories, as her fit physique was on display in her pale grey gown. Not to mention, Serena had her hubby as her main accessory on the red carpet.

Serena and Alexis made a date night out of the red carpet event for the documentary’s premiere. The couple was without their 2-year-old daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. Nonetheless, their baby girl couldn’t have been too far from her parents since she is with them on their east coast trip.

Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian at the red carpet premiere of ‘The Game Changers’ premiere in New York City on Monday, September 9, 2019. (Photo credit: Dave Allocca/Starpix/Shutterstock)

Following her U.S. Open loss to 19-year-old Canadian Bianca Andreescu on Saturday, September 7, Serena took Alexis Jr. to “DreamWorks Trolls The Experience!” the next day. The athlete called the two-set tournament game her “worst match.” Serena lost 6-3, 7-5.

Serena and Alexis’ red carpet appearance came just one night before her S by Serena Williams Fashion Show, which is set to take place on Tuesday, September 10. She was also the guest of honor at New York Fashion Week’s The Shows, The Talk’s Breakfast of Champions on Monday, September 9, ahead of The Game Changers premiere.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Sep Wed 11, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SERENA, Post Defeat

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 11, 2019 8:33 am

Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. Just Made Her Fashion Week Debut With Mom Serena Williams

Serena Williams's adorable daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. made her runway debut on Tuesday, when she accompanied her mom for her final bow at the S by Serena Williams show during New York Fashion Week. Two-year-old Olympia looked a little shy as she cuddled in close to her superstar mom, who looked thrilled to be presenting her latest collection in front of a crowd that included friends like Ashley Graham and Kim Kardashian, showing their support from the front row.

The mom-and-daughter pair dressed in matching ensembles for the occasion, with Olympia's gray shorts and black tee the perfect kid-friendly alternatives to her mom's snakeskin miniskirt and sheer blouse. At the close of an inclusive show that celebrated "women who turn fear into courage and doubt into confidence," it was fitting that Serena chose the moment to introduce a member of the next generation of inspirational women. Keep reading to see the sweet photos.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 11, 2019 8:37 am

Meghan Markle Is Being Blamed for Serena Williams Losing the U.S. Open
Markle is being called a “jinx.”

Over the weekend, Meghan Markle flew across the ocean to support her bestie Serena Williams at the 2019 U.S. Open in New York — a match she ultimately lost to 19-year-old Canadian player Bianca Andreescu. Williams was nothing but gracious about her loss, and Markle was nothing but supportive to her friend, cheering her on from Serena’s box and chatting with Serena’s coach as well as her husband, Alexis Ohanian. (Not to mention, Markle looked super autumnal in a J.Crew denim dress, Victoria Beckham aviators, and loose waves that I’ll be copying all season.)

But this is the Duchess of Sussex we’re talking about, so of course, royal haters on Twitter have decided to hold Markle responsible for Williams’s loss, calling her a “jinx.” Their reasoning? Markle also happened to be courtside during Wimbledon earlier this year, where Williams also lost.

“Dear Meghan Markle please stop attending Serena’s finals matches. You are a jinx. Signed fans who are not her friends,” tweeted one person, per Cosmo. Many others shared similar sentiments.

Sumatra Thompson
@sumatrat
Dear Meghan Markle please stop attending Serena’s finals matches. You are a jinx. Signed fans who are not her friends.

7:05 PM - Sep 7, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Sumatra Thompson's other Tweets

Jihan
@jin_crow
· Sep 7, 2019
Replying to @jin_crow
Okay, nerves are settled. Also, Spike Lee & Serena are in matching purples so maybe everything's gonna be okay.

Jihan
@jin_crow
I'm not saying, entirely, that Duchess Meghan is a jinx, but Serena's lost every finals match she's attended ever since she became a princess...

4:33 PM - Sep 7, 2019
See Jihan's other Tweets

Kem 👩🏾‍🔬🏁
@kemdoc
Meghan. Duchess. Love you so much. Really do. Are you a jinx though?????? Has she been at most of the losses?

6:53 PM - Sep 7, 2019
See Kem 👩🏾‍🔬🏁's other Tweets

F Dain
@FDain2
How touching the Duchess Meghan Markle came to the U.S. Open to jinx Serena Williams. Serena was warned she was a bad omen she just used the Open to flee her disfavor at home. @usopen @serenawilliams #Megxit

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
12:52 AM - Sep 8, 2019
See F Dain's other Tweets
Of course, the entire premise is utterly ludicrous, and thankfully many people are coming to the Duchess’s defense. “Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is branded as ‘JINX’ after her court side presence in yet another grand slam final where Serena lost..and we say that we live in 21st Century..DISGUSTING,” one person tweeted. Another person joked, “Meghan Markle is as much of a jinx on sports as Drake is.” (For those who have forgotten, there was a brief period in 2015 when Drake and Serena were rumored to be dating, and he was also blamed for a few of Serena’s losses.)

Praveen
@Praveen34266060
Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is branded as”JINX” after her court side presence in yet another grand slam final where Serena lost..and we say that we live in 21st Century..DISGUSTING

5:10 AM - Sep 8, 2019
See Praveen's other Tweets

Ellis Painter ❤️
@Ell_Painter
I’m not #MeghanMarkle biggest fan... but come on... calling her a jinx is a little bit far... give her a day off 😫🤦🏼‍♀️

View image on Twitter
4:15 AM - Sep 8, 2019
See Ellis Painter ❤️'s other Tweets

Trenton
@dtrentparker
Meghan Markle is as much of a jinx on sports as Drake is.

1:20 PM - Sep 9, 2019
See Trenton's other Tweets

Sally-Anne Hurley
@SallyhyphenAnne
Things people are criticising #MeghanMarkle for today: for supporting an American tennis player over one who is part of the Commonwealth; being a jinx to Serena Williams. Some of you actually suck at being human beings, you realise this right? 😑
112 6:08 PM - Sep 7, 2019

As if that wasn’t enough, Markle is also (unsurprisingly) being mom-shamed yet again, this time for her decision to attend the U.S. Open, mainly because it included traveling to New York without her baby. As Cosmo noted, several people took to Instagram to criticize her decision, penning comments like, “What kind of mother leaves their 4 month old baby at home to go and watch the US open final which can easily be watched on tv?” while another wrote, “Which decent mother is going to fly halfway around the world leaving their young baby behind for a fickle thing like a so call [sic] friend tennis match.”

Yet another wrote, “You must really love your baby leaving it to go to NY to watch tennis.”

Needless to say, we’re sure baby Archie is doing just fine back home with his more-than-capable dad, and Markle is more than deserving of spending time with her friends. Meanwhile, Williams took full responsibility for the outcome of the match, saying frankly in a post-match press conference that she simply didn’t play her best on Saturday.

“I believe I could have played better,” she said. “I believe I could have done more. I believe I could have just been more Serena today.”

And if you needed more proof that Markle was nothing if not a great cheerleader no matter the outcome of the match, just take a look at these pics:

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Wed 11, 2019 9:02 am

Serena Williams Is Back at New York Fashion Week—And She’s Doing Things Her Way

Serena Williams went from U.S. Open to New York Fashion Week in 72 hours. This season, she’s not sitting front row—she’s presenting a full see-now-buy-now collection for her namesake label, launched a little over a year ago.

“I didn’t expect it to be this fast, for them to call us up and be like, ‘We want you guys to show at New York Fashion Week.’ And be like, ‘Oh my God, we want to show,’” she tells Glamour backstage.

It’s a first for Serena, the brand, but not for Williams, the designer. She presented at the same venue where she had previously showcased her collections with HSN, a few years ago. Going into it, there may have been some familiarity. But this show marks a new chapter, one where Williams is doing Fashion Week on her own—and on her own terms.

Imagef

“I wanted to have more creative direction and to do it by myself,” she says. “I was always working with HSN, which was wonderful and an amazing experience, but you're limited with a lot of different things. I wanted to do something that I went to school for and I have so many visions for. And now we're here.”

One thing Williams wasn’t going to compromise on was an inclusive casting. The models sent down the Serena runway were of all different shades, shapes, and sizes. Some even walked out in pairs, to show the same look in straight and “great” sizing, which is the Serena way of saying extended.

“It's really important for me to be all-inclusive. I really love the word inclusivity and not exclusivity—I think that's just better,” she says. “I want everyone to have a chance. I think it's so important for everyone to feel like they can see an outfit and think, ‘Oh, that looks like me and I feel good in it.’ It doesn't matter what color they are. I want them to be able for them to relate to someone.”

“I want this to be a celebration of women that turn their doubt and fears into courage and inspiration, that take those moments where they’re afraid and turn them around,” Williams says. This mission is echoed in the show notes that accompanied this collection, where she writes that it was made for “women who break traditions and boundaries...unflinching women of all colors and sizes.”

According to Williams, her team designs “for the inside-out—not necessary for a body type. We‘re designing for a woman who wants to be confident and wants to feel good and wants to go and be good—or, like me, have a baby and still feel sexy and still feel good about themselves.”

Unsurprisingly, the front row at Serena’s inaugural Fashion Week event was as diverse as it was star-studded.

Guests included Gayle King, Kim Kardashian West, LaLa Anthony, Tarana Burke, Ashley Graham, Anna Wintour, and Alexis Ohanian. (Williams’s two-year-old daughter, Olympia, stayed backstage, but came out with her mom for the final bow.)

Ultimately, with this show, William says her mission is simple: “I wanted to do something I really saw people in.”