All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: 1ST RD: SERENA vs. MARIA

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 23, 2019 8:52 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Aug Fri 23, 2019 6:32 am
Serena will be ready, mentally and physically!!

Go Ree!!
Maybe you're right. Let's hope.
https://people.com/sports/maria-sharapo ... the-court/

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 23, 2019 2:57 pm

More evidence she might be ok to play and will.

https://www.purewow.com/news/serena-wil ... onal-match

Serena Williams Played a Match at the Palace Yesterday (but Not the One You Think)

By LEX GOODMAN | 08-23-2019 | 9:35 AM

Serena Williams knows a thing or two about royal residences. She celebrated Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s wedding at Windsor Castle and even visited their Frogmore Cottage estate to meet baby Archie shortly after his birth. So, when we heard she was playing a doubles match alongside her sister Venus Williams yesterday at the Palace Invitational, our interest was piqued.

Despite the royal-sounding name, however, the doubles match actually took place at the Lotte New York Palace, which has no affiliation with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the rest of the lot. The event, which is in its fifth year, is simply a place for some of the biggest names in tennis to have a little fun before the US Open kicks off.

Williams, 37, and her 39-year-old sister faced off in a game of badminton against Rafael Nadal. He was short a partner so Today Show host and event emcee Dylan Dreyer offered to act as a stand-in.

Since she’s pregnant, Dreyer opted not to play for too long and suggested someone else take her place. Then, in a surprise appearance, 15-year-old tennis prodigy Cori “Coco” Gauff (the youngest woman to ever win a Wimbledon match) offered to step in like it was no big deal. The crowd went wild and the game got fiercely competitive.

Ultimately, the Williams sisters took the trophy, although Nadal and Coco put up a big fight. The two doubles teams and Dreyer all posed for a photo together in their tennis bests after the match. (Venus wore her own athletic brand, EleVen, natch.)

It looks like two tennis queens just got their very own crowns. It’s just a shame they can’t wear them.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Fri 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Preliminary schedule is out for Monday and Tuesday:

Serena and Maria open on Ashe in prime time, lst match in the evening. Followed by Roger's match v a Qualie.

However, opening on Ashe is:

Ashleigh Barty v Diyas, followed by...
Novak v Baena

On Armstrong:

Qualie v Ka. Pliskova
Medvedev v Gunneswaran
Venus v S. Zheng

Nite Matches:

Stan the Man v Qualie
Keys v Misaki Doi

Tuesday's prelim' slate:

On Ashe:

Naomi opens v Blinkova
Fabbiano v Thiem

Nite matches:

Rafael v Millman
Sloane v Qualie

On Armstrong:

Tsitsipas v Rublev
Simona v Qualie
Potapova v Coco Gauff

Nite matches:

Sabalenka v Vika
S. Johnson v Nick K.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/sch ... dule8.html

Obviously, this opening day slate is to capture "blockbuster tv ratings" on opening day for this Slam by scheduling the men's and women's biggest drawing names for ongoing promos on ESPN and other stateside tv sport networks to showcase this event. For me this is some BS but that's just me.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Aug Sat 24, 2019 11:28 am

Tuesday USO night match round 1. 6-0 6-0 Maria 👠👠👠👠

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 11:45 am

rex wrote:
Aug Fri 23, 2019 5:16 pm
Preliminary schedule is out for Monday and Tuesday:

Serena and Maria open on Ashe in prime time, lst match in the evening. Followed by Roger's match v a Qualie.

However, opening on Ashe is:

Ashleigh Barty v Diyas, followed by...
Novak v Baena

On Armstrong:

Qualie v Ka. Pliskova
Medvedev v Gunneswaran
Venus v S. Zheng

Nite Matches:

Stan the Man v Qualie
Keys v Misaki Doi

Tuesday's prelim' slate:

On Ashe:

Naomi opens v Blinkova
Fabbiano v Thiem

Nite matches:

Rafael v Millman
Sloane v Qualie

On Armstrong:

Tsitsipas v Rublev
Simona v Qualie
Potapova v Coco Gauff

Nite matches:

Sabalenka v Vika
S. Johnson v Nick K.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/sch ... dule8.html

Obviously, this opening day slate is to capture "blockbuster tv ratings" on opening day for this Slam by scheduling the men's and women's biggest drawing names for ongoing promos on ESPN and other stateside tv sport networks to showcase this event. For me this is some BS but that's just me.
I can appreciate both povs, fan and business, but without business success of the event, there's no event for the fans, and the last people we want running this event, are public officials.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

20-2: SERENA vs. MARIA

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:40 pm

"Someone texted me about it," said 2017 finalist Madison Keys, fresh off a title run at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. "I think I was shopping, had no idea the draw was actually happening. So it was like, ‘Oh my god! Look at this first round!'"
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Aug Mon 26, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:41 pm

For reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep, the Monday match-up struck close to home as the Romanian herself drew Sharapova two years ago at this tournament, falling in what was regarded as one of the best matches of the season.

"We don't talk about that," Halep said, smiling. "It's past, so we'll just live the present. It's going to be a big match, definitely. If it's on Monday, then I will watch it. Were it Tuesday, no, because I have a match."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Scheduling conflicts aside, top seed Naomi Osaka, who played Williams to win her first major title at US Open last year, predicted all eyes would be on the clash - their 22nd overall, and their first since the 2016 Australian Open.

"Of course I'm going to watch it. I know you all are going to watch it," she said on Friday, referring to the journalists present for the US Open's annual Media Day. "I think everyone in New York is going to watch it.

"I'm not that surprised that that happened, because at every Grand Slam there is always some sort of drama. You know what I mean? Like, there will be a first round where it's like,' Oh, my God.'"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:42 pm

No.2 seed Ashleigh Barty played Sharapova in the opening round of her own Cincinnati campaign, perhaps explaining the straight-talking Aussie's unfazed attitude regarding the match-up.

"There are a lot of other quality first rounds. It's not the only first round in the draw."

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sat 24, 2019 2:32 pm

How time flies!! 15 years ago was Maria's first and last win over Serena. That's a lifetime! How many players have come and gone since then? Was that the year Coco Gauff was born? Wow! In any event, Maria seems rejuicinated and ready to play.