All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
POOR Sloanie

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Fri 16, 2019 3:20 pm

That USO triumph belonged to Vee!!!

Sloane Stephens is still looking for her game as she goes into the US Open, with just a single win in the hard-court warm-up events prior to the tournament.

Stephens, who won the 2017 US Open, fell in the first round in Washington, D.C., and Toronto, and then fell to Svetlana Kuznetsova in the third round—she had a first-round bye.

“It’s been pretty inconsistent for me on the hard courts,” Stephens said. “I was just looking for a win and trying to fight through.”

The world No. 10, who reached the fourth round of the Australian Open in January, has not captured a WTA title or won back-to-back matches at a hard-court tour event this season.

But there have been some changes off the court. She announced her engagement to boyfriend and soccer player Jozy Altidore a few months ago. She also began working with veteran coach Sven Groeneveld during the clay season.

Stephen's up-and-down performances on court have also come with harsh scrutiny on social media.

"I just blocked somebody. People are people, and everyone’s human and the human side of this sport means that people can be attacked,” Stephens was quoted as saying to press before Cincinnati. “People can say whatever they want with no accountability. That’s pretty tough, but the reality of it is that you can be doing really bad, and people can say really mean things to you and you’re supposed to just carry on.

"At some point, when things get good, those same people will tell you that you’re the best. Social media is almost like its own job, in how you have to keep up appearances, make sure people see you, and when you play a sport, feel connected.”

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Re: POOR Sloanie

Post by CrossCourtBH » Aug Fri 16, 2019 5:39 pm

block block block block LOL remember

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Yup, lol!!

Taylor Townsend's attacks are vicious!! I finally told her she doesn't need it and to get off social media all together!!

BRUTAL!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Taylor Who? I thought that was a WTT player. We are talking WTA here. lol lol lol.
last 2 tournaments: French Open, Wimbledon.
next one: US Open Qualifier.. If she draws Brady, she goes home with 2 french baguettes.
then End of season.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:53 pm

I was talking about her Twitter bashing!! Check it out, it's UGLY NASTY!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:59 pm

I don't know why those players are on twitter. Can't they create private accounts accessible only to friends and family?
If they are out there looking for followers, well, they can't blame the world. This is no paradise. Even beautiful Jaimee Fourlis has haters. :) :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Thu 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Sloane Stephens has reunited with former coach Kamau Murray, with the pair to work together during the US Open.

Stephens and Murray went "on a break" -- in Murray's description -- during the offseason, having had a successful collaboration that saw Stephens win her first Grand Slam title at the 2017 US Open.

"Happy to be back with Kamau," Stephens wrote on social media. ''Excited for the next couple of weeks [at the] US Open."

Stephens began working with experienced coach Sven Groenveld just before the French Open, but announced a few days ago that they had decided to split just before the season's final major.

The 26-year-old has won just one match in her three hardcourt events before Flushing Meadows.

Stephens is No. 11 in the rankings.

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Aug Thu 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:59 pm
I don't know why those players are on twitter. Can't they create private accounts accessible only to friends and family?
If they are out there looking for followers, well, they can't blame the world. This is no paradise. Even beautiful Jaimee Fourlis has haters. :) :)
Well, given that twitter in and of itself is like one giant High School with a bunch of hormonal adolescent children,
welcome to the world with no filter. Keyboard Warriors UNITE!!! :P