All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
ZVEREV Too Sensitive?

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 22, 2019 11:31 am

ZVEREV LOOKING FOR MORE COMMITMENT AND ATTENTION FROM COACH LENDL

"Sometimes we go to the tennis court and for half-an-hour he stands with his back to me talking about the way he played golf the morning before," Zverev said.

By Kamakshi Tandon

July 21, 2019

Alexander Zverev is asking for more commitment from his coach, Ivan Lendl, as he gets back to competition following a first-round defeat at Wimbledon.

"We talked about it and I told him to concentrate on tennis more," Zverev was quoted saying by German wire agencies at a press conference in Hamburg.

Lendl's new dog is getting a lot of his attention, added Zverev, along with his coach's fondness for golf.

"Sometimes we go to the tennis court, the training is two hours long, and for half-an-hour he stands with his back to me talking about the way he played golf the morning before," Zverev said.

Zverev and Lendl began their partnership last summer, but Lendl did not accompany Zverev during this year's clay-court season and will not be in Hamburg. Zverev will be coached instead by his father, Alexander Sr., who guided him throughout much of his junior career.

But Zverev said he was still working with Lendl, though the exact tournament schedule is has yet to be solidified.

The world No. 5 also addressed his acrimonious split with agent Patricio Apey, which he had indicated played a part in his defeat at Wimbledon to Jiri Vesely. The two should reach some kind of agreement in the "next few days," Zverev said, though he has made similar statements since the split was announced a few months ago.

The 22-year-old may be having a tough season, but he did win a title, on clay in Geneva, in May, beating Nicolas Jarry in the final. He's the No. 2 seed in Hamburg and will play on Tuesday against Jarry.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: ZVEREV Too Sensitive?

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 22, 2019 12:40 pm

If you don't like what he's doing for you, fire him!!

Simple!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 29, 2019 6:23 am

Finally, but Lendl blamed Sascha's outside troubles. Not very nice!!

viewtopic.php?f=499&p=116431#p116431

ATP Tour

Lendl ends troubled spell as Zverev coach

2019-07-26 20:20

Alexander Zverev

Berlin - Ivan Lendl has ended his year-long spell as coach to Alexander Zverev, just days after the German world No 5 complained the former eight-time major winner spent more time talking about "golf and his dog" than tennis.

"I believe in 'Sascha' who is still very young. I think he will become a great player," Lendl said in a statement released to AFP through his agent.

"But the problems outside the sport which he has at the moment prevent me from working in the way I would like to. I wish him the best for the future."

The relationship between the two men had deteriorated recently, with 22-year-old Zverev criticising what he claimed was a lack of involvement from Lendl.

"Sometimes I go on the court to practice for two hours but for half an hour, he will tell me how he played golf yesterday," the German player told a news conference on the sidelines of the Hamburg ATP tournament where he is playing this week.

"In addition to that, Lendl has a new dog with whom he spends a lot of time."

After his defeat in the first round of Wimbledon earlier this month, Lendl advised Zverev to "focus more on tennis".

"As far as my work ethic is concerned, I'm pretty confident that my track record speaks for itself," said Lendl, who won 94 ATP tournaments in his career.

Under his guidance, Zverev won the ATP Finals in 2018, easily the most prestigious victory of his career.

Lendl, 59, previously worked with three-time major winner Andy Murray.

On Friday, Zverev rallied from a set and a break down to defeat Serbian Filip Krajinovic 2-6, 7-5, 6-2 after two hours and minutes to make the semi-finals in Hamburg.

"The crowd helped me. The crowd gave me energy. The crowd got me through that one," Zverev said.

Meanwhile, Russia's world number 78 Andrey Rublev recorded the biggest win of his career by knocking out top seed and two-time Roland Garros runner-up Dominic Thiem 7-6 (7/3), 7-6 (7/5).

It was only the 21-year-old's second Top 10 win, following on from his victory over then ninth-ranked Grigor Dimitrov at the 2017 US Open.

"In my opinion, he is the best player on clay after Rafa (Nadal)," Rublev told atptour.com.

"So, of course to have a match like this is something special and for sure I hope that it will give me the confidence and I will keep working and keep improving."

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:08 am

"As far as my work ethic is concerned, I'm pretty confident that my track record speaks for itself," said Lendl, who won 94 ATP tournaments in his career.
Zverez was talking about your work ethic as coach, not as player. You avoided addressing his concerns, which means he is right; you were rather talking about golf and playing with your dog.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:30 am

Alexander Zverev surprised by timing of Ivan Lendl split announcement

World number five Alexander Zverev says he was surprised Ivan Lendl decided to announce midway through the Hamburg Open that their partnership has ended.

The announcement came a few days after Zverev claimed eight-time Grand Slam winner Lendl talked more about "golf and his dog" than tennis.

The pair teamed up last year, with the 22-year-old German going on to win the season-ending ATP Finals in November.

"We both felt like we were going different directions," Zverev said.

"I have nothing but respect for him. We worked well for 10 months and it's been very nice having him by my side, winning London.

"It's also about personalities and maybe we didn't fit yet. Maybe it will change but for now it's over."

Lendl, who previously coached Britain's former world number one Andy Murray, said he still has a "lot of belief" that Zverev can fulfil his potential.

"I think that one day he may become a great player, but currently he has some off-court issues that make it difficult to work in a way that is consistent with my philosophy," Lendl said.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:42 am

Lendl is nasty!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:48 am

Oil and water. Lendl is an ice cold customer, whereas Alex is fiery and emotional. McEnroe should coach Alex.