BARTY, Indigenous Aussie Champion

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
BARTY, Indigenous Aussie Champion

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Wed 12, 2019 10:24 am

"If you can see it, you can be it." 48 years before Ash Barty, there was Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

Five years ago, Ash Barty, who last night won the French Open, decided to quit tennis.

Then 18 and a junior Wimbledon champion, she was depressed and lonely.

She now remembers a text message she received from Evonne Goolagong Cawley – an Australian tennis great who had become a mentor.

“Hey, darl,” the message read.

“Good decision. Go and wet a line.”

For the next two years, Barty played cricket in the women’s Big Bash League, before eventually returning to tennis.

On Saturday night, Barty became the first Australian woman in 46 years to win the French Open, and the second First Nations woman in history.

The first was Goolagong Cawley herself, a Wiradjuri woman who won seven Grand Slam singles titles throughout her career. She is also the only mother to have won Wimbledon since 1914 – a title that still stands.

Goolagong Cawley said in a statement, “I’m almost scared to say it but it’s now 48 years ago since I won my first slam there too.

"What a wonderful result for Australia and how exciting that another Aboriginal has won at the French Open. Tennis Australia and all lovers of tennis here and around the world will be delighted by the natural skills and flair Ash possesses."

Following her victory at Roland Garros, Barty said of Goolagong Cawley, "It's amazing how she's created this path for Indigenous tennis in Australia and I think now it's becoming more nationwide."

Barty was 12 when she learned that her great-grandmother was part of the Ngaragu people. Last year, she became a Tennis Australia Indigenous ambassador.

ABC Indigenous posted to Twitter last night, "If you can see it, you can be it!" referencing the legacy of Goolagong Cawley back in 1971.

"Ash, take a bow."

Last night was a win for Ash Barty.
But it was also a win for Australia's First Nations community.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: BARTY, Indigenous Aussie Champion

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Good on her!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:02 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:14 pm
Good on her!!
I wasn't aware she is aboriginal. You?

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 6:05 am

Nope, no one ever mentioned it!!

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:44 am

Is it important? One of my grandparents was an orphan, so who knows who my greatparents were (or their origin)... It does not make me different all of a sudden.

If someone changes their opinion on Barty because of this piece of information, then that person has an issue.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:12 am

That's true, Grav!!

Ever been to the southern USA?? It only takes one drop!!

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:23 am

Huge fan of Barty fan here ... picked her on my SKAN team and over at TAT for the prediction challenge there, where I scored the highest count and won the week. I was very impressed that she spent two years as a professional in another sport discipline. Seeing her play, she strikes me as a solid athlete - something the WTA needs.

Didn't know she had Indigenous ancestry. Having worked very closely with Indigenous artists over many years, I'm over-the-moon to learn this about Ash.

Also didn't know that she is regarded as one of the nicest persons on the tour. That counts for a lot, too.

Right on!
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Sat 22, 2019 8:44 am

On to the Final :)