PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

how can a linesperson take a match point away???

All General Discussion concerning WTA and ATP
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
how can a linesperson take a match point away???

Post by Ace2Ace » Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:24 pm

how can a linesperson take a match point away without any check or verification???
Serena got cheated again. in broad daylight.
This is disgusting. !!!!! I lost words.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: how can a linesperson take a match point away???

Post by rex » Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Regardless, Serena should not have blown a 5-1 lead, let alone not calling the trainer after rolling her ankle. Unbelievable.....

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Jan Tue 22, 2019 10:35 pm

I can't recall Serena ever calling a trainer -
they need to bring in hawkeye for serves -
did not look like ff in slow motion -
again a lines person call a ff at a crucial point with no way of verifying it

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jan Wed 23, 2019 3:54 am

It's unfortunate and unfortunate that she rolled her ankle,
but she was not cheated and to suggest as much is absurd.

The rules are the rules regardless of any particular point in the much. Otherwise,
why have the rules at all? Had this happened at the beginning, would their be this
complaining, probably not. It's not unlike the NBA IMO where many feel that fouls
should not be called near the end of crucial games and the players should be
permitted to just play it out. Yet, doing so impugns the integrity of the game.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jan Wed 23, 2019 6:57 am

Serena was robbed AGAIN, and that DF led to her injury!! I'm pissed!! Worse than the Saints no-call.

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Jan Wed 23, 2019 8:36 am

Kudos to the line person for making a righteous call 👍🏻👍🏻🇷🇺🇷🇺

PeterSkan
Senior
Senior

Post by PeterSkan » Jan Wed 23, 2019 9:23 am

Yes - the "integrity of the game" is 'impugned' when rules are willfully not enforced. That said, matches proceed on the basis of a certain amount of professional judgment and discretion. These are subjective elements that are themselves liable to human imperfection. The rules allow for this, but their indiscriminate exercise can also "impugn" the integrity of the game. Efforts to uphold or strengthen the integrity of the game [and that of its players] and objectify its play have therefore been successfully undertaken through the introduction of technological features and the challenge system.

It's a pathetic failure not to take similar action on a controversial aspect of the game, where the discretionary enforcement of a subjective call on a perceived but inconsequential infraction has a dramatic impact on play and the psychological bearing of the players. Who is to say that the linesperson was not bent on making the ff call in question? Or, frankly, paid to do so? There is no guarantee of integrity without accountability.

Just like line calls, such incidents should be subject to verification through the existing challenge system. Give players the option to challenge the call. The absence of options risks undermining the "integrity of the game".
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion,
but not with the whining, the pleas of the coward;
listen-your final pleasure-to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Jan Wed 23, 2019 11:03 am

We can do all the verbal gymnastics all day long, bottom line is she wasn't cheated. Yet, wouldn't be surprised
if this becomes an issue, not because it is the first time in the history of the game it has happened, but simply
because it's Serena. Not unlike the whole thing surrounding players that choose to get pregnant during their
career.

Funny how thing only become a matter when certain players get affected, but hey, let's rip everyone else
for the misfortune of the sacred cows of tennis(ie Serena/Federer more than any others).

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jan Thu 24, 2019 7:06 am

One of the few matches that I saw from start until end was Halep vs Serena.

Serena still so good when it comes to serve and return of serve: it carried her through this match. And it makes her - for me - the favorite for Wimbledon if she stays healthy.
Was I did notice in set 2 & 3 was a decrease in explosivity - when compared to how she played in her prime. I remember how she has that wide stance in the middle of the court at the baseline, playing the ball to the centre, and how she was very explosive to return the balls played towards the corners. In this match, she struggled to get to those balls in time, especially in the longer rallies in Set 2 and Set 3. She was either too late (passing shot), or was not in time to respond with a decent shot (resulting in a lot of net-balls, shots that were too long, or giving Halep an opportunity to hit a winner).

As for losing to Pliskova: I did not see the match or the FF, so I cannot judge whether it was a correct call or not. But it should not matter at what time it is called - first or last serve of the match: FF is FF.
And I don't believe in conspiracy theories: she was still 5-1, deuce on serve. Some comments I've read on other places seem to suggest that the linesman knew that she was gonna twist her ankle in the next rally...duh.... Why would linesman risk his reputation to call an unjustified FF deliberately at a stage where the match was virtually over (barring injury... what actually happened).
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Thu 24, 2019 9:27 am

Happy Pliskova was swatted out of the tournament at the cusp of a final berth. As for Serena, the loss almost eclipses her own comeback against Kimmie Poo at the semi stage in 2003. The only explanation, despite the ankle injury, could be the one she offered, which is that her focused might've dropped while Pliskova went for broke with luck on her side hitting the lines and deep on match points.