politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
Pyotr
Senior
Senior
Re: Can someone explain this culture?

Post by Pyotr » Feb Thu 17, 2022 6:02 am

Graveller wrote:
Feb Wed 16, 2022 5:26 am
Why on earth would I want to illuminate the dim ones? The more useful idiots there are to take advantage from, the better for me.

But please pray for me. And afterwards go voting for a party the supports the death penalty.
I wonder how you are gonna explain that one when facing your Maker :-) . For your sake, I hope he has some wicked sense of humor.

And Jesus said: "Kill that man. Inject him with poison. That is how you truly honour me". Book of Republicans, 7:41

"And one the ninth day, God said 'Let there be a wall'. And look, there was a wall, and everyone's heart was filled with joy. Those needing help and support would not bother the Good People anymore". Book of Trump 4:12.
Wow! I overestimated you. You really are that simple.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 18, 2022 11:51 am

Joylan1 wrote:
Feb Wed 16, 2022 6:39 pm
So Grav is another whining Catholic. You are not a atheists, atheists have respect for religion and understand how important religion is to others, its just not important to them.
You want me to respect for your religious rules? Well, you will get it if you respect those rules yourselves. Yes, the moment that religions show respect for non-religious people and stop forcing their rules on others, I'll start showing respect.
But they never have, they never will.

Pyotr called be simple for alluding to the death penalty in my mock-Bible quote. And he is right: it was complete, deliberate nonsense because we all know that the Jesus-character that is depicted in the Bible (and which he - and - you - chose to believe that it is the son of God) would never, ever, under any circumstance, condone the death penalty.

So Pyotr could have said: "yes, as a true Christian I am opposed to the death penalty, because the fifth Commandment is 100% clear: Thou shall not kill."
Those four words are pretty straightforward. No if's and but's... But rather than living up to his religion, he ridicules the messenger (which in itself is likely a sin...) and votes/defends for leaders who support such heretic behaviour.
And I was counting on that kind of response, that was my intention in the first place. So I could make this comment :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Feb Wed 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Something along those lines would be enough. Give it a shot. You can even give him a deadline. Something like "if by the end of this day, or by the end of this hour, or in 2 days, or by the end of this week, I don't see any sign, you are fake. But if you show me a sign, I'll sing your praises the rest of my life".
Would you take that challenge?
It is all interpretation and wanting to see what you want. Cavemen saw lightning as a sign.... some saw an eclipse as a sign...
People are encountering something they cannot explain, and want to attribute it to a higher entity. OK for me, if that makes them happy. But keep it private. Do not bother other people with your religion and especially do not force rules on others.

There is a vast amount of really interesting (neuro-)scientific research on how religion works in the brain. Google "religion" and "neuroscience" and you get tons of scientific research. Yes I know, here I am again with facts and science...

I remember a documentary once on religious experiences on how people that were praying "felt" the presence of an entity. They managed to localize the area in the brain that was activated at that time, and then in parallel conducted experiments that activated the same area's in the brains of non-religious people (don't ask me the details how they did it - with medication, or electrodes - not sure anymore). The point was that they experienced the same "feeling" of someone/something being in the room.

So I do not deny that religious people "feel" things and have special experiences (LSD does that too, by the way). Those feelings are 100% real to them. But that doesn't make it truth: It is all biochemistry in the brain. Not a God watching over us. I could compare it with the things you see during an LSD trip: they are also very, very real for the person who experiences it. Or people with voices in their head due to neurological defects.
By the way, some brain activity areas related to religion are similar to those that are active during sex or when using drugs.

I am aware that religious people have no interest in all of this: none of you will dive into that literature. Denying an unconvenient truth is an easy way. And yes, it has been proven that being religious can make you happier; so there is a benefit is "believing". But that does not make the God-entity real.
So if I were to feel a "presence", I would just consider it as a biochemical creation of my mind. I would not go to a church , but to a neurologist (or psychiatrist).

Religious people will thus say that I am not open to the concept of religion. And my response is that they are not open to neuroscience and its factual findings.

If you want me to be open-minded, you have to be willing to be equally open-minded. In other words; if scientists could give you a religious experience by brain stimulation, would you be willing to consider that it is all "in the mind", and not real?
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Feb Fri 18, 2022 4:06 pm

I remember a documentary once on religious experiences on how people that were praying "felt" the presence of an entity.
Wouldn't you want to experiment, llve, one of those yourself? Then you could really see if it's real or just your imagination?
Ask Jesus to reveal himself to you if he is real. What do you got to lose?

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Feb Sat 19, 2022 6:55 pm

Iran: Man beheads 17-year-old wife and shows up with the head in public in Ahvaz city, arrested
https://www.opindia.com/2022/02/iran-ma ... in-public/
Nicardo Holland
What in the flying ***** is a grown man doing with a 17 year old child? He makes my skin crawl.

stailleos
same like mohmad did 😂😂😂😂

Acts17Apologetics
He actually married her when she was 12.
She was only 17. He married her when she was 12-year old. Their prophet gave the example. It's ok to marry under age girls. Since they believe he is the best man God ever created, they follow in his footsteps. They love to do whatever he did, including beheading people.
Get out of that cult: