Tournaments this week

Coronavirus

politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: Coronavirus

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 15, 2020 8:41 am

Moderna's vaccine is going into Stage 3; a vital final stage which adds thousands of infected people of all demographics. Note, they've only tested 45 participants so far!! Now, listen to what I say ... I've been in Clinical Safety for 31 years and I've never ever seen a vaccine excel this fast (usually takes 3-5 years). First, you have to test the long-term effects (5, 10, 25, 50 years ect) and we never stop tracing and testing, from formulation to disposal (I had to inspect Superfund sites, never again, felt like I was on the moon).

Don't be the one of the first million to receive it (lol, but def not funny)!!

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/unit ... -statement

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 15, 2020 8:52 am

[bWhen Merck sends out a warning, you know something is seriously wrong:
[/b]

The CEO of one of America’s largest pharmaceutical companies issued a bleak warning about the prospect of a vaccine for the novel coronavirus by the end of the year, saying lawmakers touting the possibility were doing a “grave disservice to the public.”

Ken Frazier, the CEO of Merck, made the comments in an interview with Harvard Business School last week. He directly targeted politicians who have asserted that a vaccine is around the corner, without naming President Donald Trump, saying such statements were premature and “actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do.”

“What worries me the most is that the public is so hungry, so desperate to go back to normalcy, that they are pushing us to move things faster and faster,” Frazier said during an interview last week with Harvard professor Tsedal Neeley. “But ultimately, if you’re going to use a vaccine in billions of people, you better know what that vaccine does.”

He said that Merck’s most recent vaccine against Ebola took more than five years to produce, saying such research “requires a rigorous scientific assessment.”

“And here we didn’t even understand the virus itself or how the virus affects the immune system,” he continued. “I think when people tell the public that there’s going to be a vaccine by the end of 2020, for example, I think they do a grave disservice to the public,” Frazier said last week. “I think at the end of the day, we don’t want to rush the vaccine before we’ve done rigorous science. We’ve seen in the past, for example, with the swine flu, that that vaccine did more harm than good.”

“We don’t have a great history of introducing vaccines quickly in the middle of a pandemic,” he added.

Frazier has publicly sparred with the Trump administration before. In 2017, he resigned from one of the president’s business advisory councils after the White House failed to criticize white nationalists in Charlottesville.

“I feel a responsibility to take a stand against extremism,” Frazier said at the time.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/0 ... /24561819/

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 15, 2020 8:53 am

Ya'll must be asleep, LMAO :)

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 22, 2020 12:25 pm

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Flattening the curve, NJ style:

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Wed 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Wheeeww :(

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Tue 28, 2020 6:25 am

I am still here, patiently waiting for tennis to resume.

Belgium has re-installed a partial lockdown: this virus cannot be beaten unless you keep social distancing at minimum AND wear a mask at all times when leaving the house. In june, we allowed careful reopening of bars, restaurants (with social distancing rules), and family gatherings with limited people, but that was enough for the virus to start spreading again.

At best, we had about 80 new cases/day. And a week ago was the first day that no one died of Covid. But daily numbers have gone up a lot over the last 14 days: now well above 300 new cases/day. And most infections happened within families and also younger people. So we are now back to having a small social bubble of 5 people that you are allowed to meet until the end of august. And masks are now mandatory in all shops and busy places. Models predicted a second wave, worse than the first one with a peak in november, so action was needed.

Worst place is the city of Antwerp (and predominantly within the arab community where people live more together). There is now even an evening/night curfew in that city.

Oh well, what can we do....
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Thu 30, 2020 11:40 am

Sorry to hear that, Grav :(

Coronavirus is extremely smart, and it has morphed at least five times already, which means one vaccine may not work for the other four strains!!

OMG!!

It took out Herman Cain, Mr 999 who contracted it at Trump's Tulsa rally. He's killing people!!