PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

CANADIAN PM's Brownface/Blackface...Racist?

politics, music, movies, war, peace, food and all
djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: CANADIAN PM's Brownface/Blackface...Racist?

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Mon 23, 2019 8:38 am

Graveller wrote:
Sep Sat 21, 2019 9:28 am
djmm1962 wrote:
Sep Fri 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Don't go there, Grav!!

Don't go there!!!!!
You just branded me as a colonialist, thief, and slavemaster because of the color of my skin. Thank you very much.

My point is that, if you want to fight traditions that depict another race negatively, then there are no exceptions: it has to go both ways.
I didn't call or brand you anything, just giving the correct history. I don't even know the color of your skin!!

Plus, who even knows the truth about this white faced ritual?? I understand it as them using some ground up plant based material to fight off bad spirits in a religious gathering. It wasn't meant as a racist slur!! Plus, some use mud as a pest deterrent!!

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Mon 23, 2019 8:42 am

As for Trudeau, everyone knows the stereotype. He wasn't born yesterday!!

I get costumes, but he dressed up as a genie and he used brown paint!! Why didn't he use blue like Will Smith's character in Aladdin??

Miss_Vee
Regular
Regular

Post by Miss_Vee » Sep Mon 23, 2019 7:27 pm

DJ, not everyone knows the meaning of that stereotype. I did not study American history, and definitely not the history of black people in the U.S. I knew nothing of the deep pain many blacks suffered as a result of the actions behind white people in black face. I truly only learned about it in the last 5 years or so. I did not understand it. I had read about yes. Seen images of it yes. But I could not identify with it. I did not understand it.
Neither you nor anyone else knows what Trudeau knew 20 plus years ago, or should have known. Justin Trudeau had a privileged upbringing as the son of a former famous Prime Minister. He was far removed from the nitty gritty of life. If he developed a social conscience, it might have been after his father’s passing, because he originally was far removed from the political sphere. That’s why this whole thing comes across as a joke, and if what I’m reading is correct, has not changed voter’s minds one iota. Those who were going to support Justin Trudeau before the great unveiling of his perceived misdeeds, are still going to support him. Of course he has a different level of awareness now, and hopefully has had it for awhile.
The other party that would gain from his take down, have their own skeletons in the closet. It’s amazing how many hypocrites are showing up to bellow out their indignation, at something they do not get begin to grasp.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Oct Wed 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Obama endorses Trudeau for reelection ahead of Canadian vote
CNN Digital Expansion 2018, Caroline Kelly
By Caroline Kelly, CNN

Updated 6:36 PM ET, Wed October 16, 2019

(CNN)Former President Barack Obama on Wednesday tweeted his support for Justin Trudeau, urging Canadians to reelect their Prime Minister in Monday's federal election.

"I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President," Obama tweeted. "He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change."

He continued, "The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term."