All Tennis, All the Time
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Re: Naomi Withdraws from Wimby

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Thu 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Joylan1 wrote:
Jul Fri 16, 2021 3:05 pm
So I don't choose America and suddenly people are like, 'Your Black card is revoked.' And it's like, African American isn't the only Black, you know? I don't know, I feel like people really don't know the difference between nationality and race because there's a lot of Black people in Brazil, but they're Brazilian."

Osaka announced that she would be relinquishing her American citizenship in 2019. The tennis star who was born in Japan but moved to New York at the age of 3 previously held dual American and Japanese citizenship. But under Japan's Nationality Act, those who hold dual citizenship must choose one before their 22nd birthday.

Osaka's mother is Japanese, and her father is Haitian.
A number of Americans with dual citizenship compete for other countries for a variety of reasons, primarily when making the American team is harder. Financial support, etc drive that decision too. Traveling worldwide on a Haitian passport is extremely difficult, plus financial and opportunities are scarce in comparison to Japan. Tennis is very expensive. Plus, some countries actively recruit athletes to represent them. The middle east is well known for that, and a number of African athletes in particular have jumped at the chance.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: Naomi Withdraws from Wimby

Post by Grossefavourite » Aug Sun 01, 2021 8:48 am

Speaking of which, the new 100M champion, Lamont Marcell Jacobs, represents Italy though he was born in Texas. I'm highly suspicious of his win, but that's another (juicy) story.