Lyon event

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
rex
Commish
Commish
Lyon event

Post by rex » Mar Sat 06, 2021 9:11 am

Watching the Clara Tauson v Paula Badosa match. Nice match between the 2 in the semis, Clara up and about to finish in the 2nd. lst time seeing the 18 year old Tauson from Denmark. Currently ranked 117th (a career high), but will be top 100 "soon". She's the real deal and will be a "major" addition to this Tour.....

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lyon event

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Sat 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Nice.. I'll check her out.
Is she a power player or 'strategist"?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sat 06, 2021 5:50 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Mar Sat 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Or? Why or? There's a bias against so-called power players. Power players can be strategists too and simply because you're weak doesn't mean you're a strategist. Explain yourself.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Sat 06, 2021 7:13 pm

Grossefavourite wrote:
Mar Sat 06, 2021 5:50 pm
Or? Why or? There's a bias against so-called power players. Power players can be strategists too and simply because you're weak doesn't mean you're a strategist. Explain yourself.
I know..
Just going with the usual flow.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sat 06, 2021 8:46 pm

That's some hitting. Even the slice is 100 mph.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sun 07, 2021 10:29 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Mar Sat 06, 2021 3:35 pm
My apologies for not getting back to you, Ace, long day yesterday.

Re Clara, as you can see, per Grosse's videos, she's a combo of power and strategy. She knows how to construct a point, comes forward when apt, uses the dropper strategically, and can nail you from either side from the baseline. Not wild like Sabalenka can be on many an occasion, or reckless like Ostapenko who appears to be not maturing as she ages, no matter the number of coaches she changes who are many. The power she has will be even greater once she hits her prime and will be a player to reckon with. Her movement is deceptive by her gait, but she can get to balls and returns well on the run. Her ceiling is unlimited, but giving her time to sort things out. Denmark has got a player to follow since Caroline retired. A player that will not be as controversial, but hopefully just as accomplished and even greater.

I woke to her winning the title today to capture the 250k in Lyon and she did win the event w/o dropping a set. Would have liked to see her playing a depleted Dubai 1k, but the back-to-back event prevented her playing the ME. Yet, I hope she gets a main draw wc to Miami, who historically has given wildcards to up-and-coming foreign players and neglected the locals. She warrants such, plus a look-see at Charleston. Someone to keep an eye on and another young talent in the women's game as teens to compliment Iga, Cori, Amanda and Kostyuk.

Addendum:

By her wining Lyon, Clara is now in the top-100 (live ranking has her at 96th.....congrats). Her next event is qualies at St. Pete', then it's a little vague, for Miami follows after the Russian event. I'm as yet thinking and believing that Miami will honor this talent with a wc, she deserves it.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Mar Sun 07, 2021 10:58 am

Highlights of her title today, plus a between-the-legs get that eventually helps her to stay in the point, winning such. Impressive.....

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Mar Sun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Movement will likely be her 'achilles heel', though she moves well for a 6-footer. Surprised she's that tall. Thanks of course to Venus, tall girls are no longer awkward looking on court with slumped shoulders in an attempt to seem shorter, and can move just as well as shorter players. Not sure she can handle anymore height though. Lower extremities injuries come thick and fast for the taller players, it seems. The men start struggling around 6'4".

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Mar Mon 08, 2021 8:08 am

she looks good.. I like players who finish point when the court is open. She does it pretty well.