Tournaments this week

Dayana Yastremska Busted for Doping

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Dayana Yastremska Busted for Doping

Post by rex » Jan Thu 07, 2021 1:40 pm

The 20 year old, 29th ranked player from the Ukraine has been provisionally suspended pending a hearing. Attached is an ITF article on the subject:

https://antidoping.itftennis.com/news/317960.aspx

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: Dayana Yastremska Busted for Doping

Post by rex » Jan Thu 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 09, 2021 11:43 am

No surprise, but for sure, she's not the only Ukrainian or Russian on this steroid. Eastern bloc coaches have said that that region has no knowledge/experience in developing top athletes without drugs.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 09, 2021 11:44 am

Could this be the real reason Sascha quit?

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jan Sat 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Anastasiya Shoshyna Provisionally Suspended

Anastasiya Shoshyna has been provisionally suspended for a doping violation.

The Polish player tested positive for Stanozolol, which is prohibited as an anabolic agent on the 2020 WADA Prohibited List, the ITF announced. Positive tests for non-specified substances carry a mandatory provisional suspension.

The 23-year-old Shoshyna provided a urine sample on October 26th, 2020 during her participation in the W25 Ted Republican Girls', played in Istanbul, Turkey from October 26th to November 1st. That sample was sent to the World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada for analysis, and was found to contain stanozolol metabolites.

Shoshyna, who reached a career-high rank of No. 279 on May 20th, 2020, was charged with an anti-doping violation on November 30th, 2020. She was provisionally suspended with effect from December 12th, 2020.

Shoshyna had (and retains) the right to apply to the Chair of the Independent Tribunal convened to hear her case why the provisional suspension should not be imposed, but has chosen not to exercise that right to date, the ITF announced.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Wed 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Australian Open: Ukraine's Dayana Yastremska has doping ban appeal rejected by Cas

Dayana Yastremska will miss the Australian Open after an appeal against a doping ban was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

The Ukrainian world number 29 was provisionally banned last month for failing an out-of-competition test.

The 20-year-old took the case to Cas after the International Tennis Federation refused to lift the ban.

Her appeal was fast-tracked as she hoped to play in next week's Australian Open, but it was dismissed.

"Ms Yastremska therefore remains ineligible to compete, pending the final resolution of her case," the independent body added.

Yastremska has denied using performance-enhancing drugs after testing positive for mesterolone metabolite, an anabolic agent, in November.

The Ukrainian, who has been ranked as high as 21 in the world, said she was "shocked" by the positive test and suggested it was the result of a "contamination event".

Despite the provisional ban, she was allowed to travel to Melbourne for the Australian Open and spent a 14-day period in quarantine with other players.

Yastremska said she would repay all the costs incurred by Tennis Australia to get her to Melbourne.

The Grand Slam event is set to start on Monday.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Mon 22, 2021 10:09 am

Venus has a losing/terrible record against dopers:

*Sesil Karatancheva (14 yo when she defeated Vee at RG, before vowing to revolutionize tennis and retire the top players)
*Maria Sharapova
*Dayana Yastremska
*Sara Errani

BTW, when asked about Sesil and doping, Vee said she feels she can still overcome them so long as there isn't a drug for mental toughness on big points.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Feb Mon 22, 2021 10:33 am

I've looked back at some of her matches. Interesting. A number of players accused her of cheating on court: Wozniacki, Bertens, etc. Perhaps there's a correlation between cheating on court and cheating off court. I must reflect on other players with this reputation. Cappy and Juicy spring to mind only because of how famous those incidents were involving Serena.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Wed 24, 2021 6:10 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Feb Mon 22, 2021 10:33 am
I've looked back at some of her matches. Interesting. A number of players accused her of cheating on court: Wozniacki, Bertens, etc. Perhaps there's a correlation between cheating on court and cheating off court. I must reflect on other players with this reputation. Cappy and Juicy spring to mind only because of how famous those incidents were involving Serena.
yes, you do that - it t likely will give your life a temporary purpose :-)
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 12, 2021 11:47 am

CLEARED OF ANTI-DOPING VIOLATION, DAYANA YASTREMSKA SCORES WIN IN HAMBURG RETURN
The former world No. 21 had been forced to serve a provisional suspension through the first six months of 2021.

An exonerated Dayana Yastremska made a triumphant return to action at the inaugural Hamburg European Open on Thursday, defeating Magdalena Freçh, 7-6 (5), 6-1, in what was her first match since the Ukrainian was cleared of an Anti-Doping Violation charge in June.

“I am very happy and excited to be back on the tour,” she wrote in an exclusive interview with TENNIS.com, conducted via correspondence. “It’s been a long time. I'm hungry for tennis, and I’ve been training hard for this return.”

The world No. 38 revealed in January that a urine sample she provided at the end of last year had tested positive for a metabolite of mesterolone, an anabolic steroid.

Emphatic in her assertions of innocence, the 21-year-old repeatedly appealed the provisional suspension that kept her off tour through the first six months of the 2021 season—even flying to Melbourne in the hopes of competing at the Australian Open.

“I missed being able to compete and play against the best tennis players in the world. I never took it for granted but watching the tour without being able to compete was the worst feeling.”

Yastremska was ultimately found to bear No Fault by an independent tribunal. The decision came down just before the start of the Wimbledon Championships, rendering the former junior finalist unable to compete at the All England Club.

I want to play and prove again that I belong here. I trained a lot during my time off the court. I’m ready to get back, play and win tennis matches again. Today, that’s all that matters to me.
Dayana Yastremska

“I was relieved,” she said of the ruling. “I was confident but still, it was a huge pressure. So, at the end, I'm just happy and relieved to be able to play again.”

Ranked as high as world No. 21 in January of 2020, Yastremska has already won three WTA titles and reached the second week of Wimbledon in her 2019 main-draw debut. The subsequent COVID-19 lockdown saw her enjoy the highs of starring in a PSA on pandemic health protocols and dabbling in music, and also endure the lows that came with testing positive for the novel coronavirus after arriving in Dubai for her December pre-season.

Taking on a tunnel vision approach to her provisional suspension, she spent the time at home in Odessa practicing—in her words—"nearly every day" with new coach Jan Pochter.

Pochter, who previously worked with Yastremska during the 2019 Asian swing, is on hand for her comeback this week.

“His support has been important to me, and my family was always with me during this time,” notes Yastremska. “They were supportive all the way through as did many people close to me: my agent, and my fans.”

As the top seed in Hamburg, Yastremska navigated a tense opening set to cruise through the second and brought all the firepower for which she’s become known. After scoring her first win since reaching the round of 16 at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia last fall, she appears more than ready to put this unfortunate incident behind her.

“I want to play and prove again that I belong here. I trained a lot during my time off the court. I’m ready to get back, play and win tennis matches again. Today, that’s all that matters to me.”