Tournaments this week

Cincy/NY MD Ladies

All Tennis, All the Time
serenarulz09
Senior
Senior
Re: Cincy/NY MD Ladies

Post by serenarulz09 » Aug Thu 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Also what good is the protest if she plays tomorrow? Or even during the US Open for that matter? The same goes with the NBA too.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Thu 27, 2020 3:40 pm

Apparently, Naomi withdrew (by implication) in her statement yesterday, but did not make a formal withdrawal. After her statement, the USTA/WTA and the ATP in support apparently elected to postpone the semis 'til Friday. In the interim Naomi issued a statement indicating she is/was ready to concede her match to Elise, but after discussions with the USTA/WTA officials and "at their request" changed her mind, elected to stay in the tourney and by playing brings more attention to the issue at hand.

Her comment, per article:

"As you know, I pulled out of the tournament yesterday in support of racial injustice and continued police violence," Osaka, who is Black and Japanese, said in a statement to multiple news outlets. "I was (and am) ready and prepared to concede the match to my opponent. However, after my announcement and lengthy consultation with the WTA and USTA, I have agreed at their request to play on Friday. They offered to postpone all matches until Friday and in my mind that brings more attention to the movement."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... pen-friday

Respecting the NBA, the sentiment is "unanimous" amongst the players, how to respond to such isn't. The Lakers and Clippers voted amongst themselves to shut the season down, led by LeBron. However, other players in the bubble differed and by consensus elected not to shut the season down. Thus, the season will continue.

Other sports showing sympathy were the NFL, MLB, MSL and the WNBA. Three MLB games were postponed, 5 MSL games were called off, the WNBA delayed three games and NFL teams called off practices with the start of the season in question.

However, I like what the players on the Milwaukee Bucks did. They got in contact with the Governor of Wisconsin and the States's Attorney General and asked them to take action. Further, the DOJ is now investigating the incident. We'll see how this unfolds.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Fri 28, 2020 10:13 am

Why they have Naomi's and Vika's scheduled simultaneously is beyond me, while the men's semis are consecutive....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Sat 29, 2020 10:22 am

Naomi withdrew due to a hamstring injury that was evident in her semi with Elise yesterday. I just learned of this 15 mins prior to today's match with Vika. Too bad, for I was looking forward to this match. Yet, given that Naomi's lst rounder for the USO is on Monday, this was a good move, tho' hammy's are a tricky injury which could force her to withdraw or not finish the event.

In addition, Novak is hosting a ton of issues himself and his lst rounder for the USO is on Monday, as well, playing 5 setters. We'll see if he's compromised....