All Tennis, All the Time
Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Cori Gauff.....Depressed

Post by Ace2Ace » May Sat 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Rex,
I still stick to what she said
‘It added this pressure that I needed to do well fast. Right before Wimbledon, around 2017-18, I was struggling to figure out if this was really what I wanted. I just found myself not enjoying what I loved.
She said "Right before Wimbledon 17-18". She felt the pressure. And she responded brilliantly to that pressure. She went on to win her first WTA title. I think all that pressure stuff is behind her. I could be wrong I admit, but I don't see it in her interviews since that Wimbledon.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Sun 31, 2020 8:52 am

She was missing for awhile this year and resurfaced recently.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Sun 31, 2020 8:55 am

rex wrote:
May Sat 30, 2020 5:01 pm
Over what? Prior to 2019, Cori was essentially "unknown", having done nothing on the ITF circuit, practically. Now, as a 14 year old if she questioned her interest in tennis during 2017-2018, per article, I understand, playing a sport you don't like, citing Nikki Vaidisova, who didn't care for tennis, leading to her eventually quitting the sport. However, there was "no pressure" for Cori' to live up to expectations as a 14/15 year old then, for she was essentially unheard of. The "pressure" occurred after her Wimby run in '19 when she dismissed Venus and went to the 4th rd, then the attention and hype ensued thereafter with sellout exhos ere men's events, drawing crowds at the DC event, playing ere a full house on Ashe in NY and packing her doubles' matches with McNally at the USO, getting media attention from celebs and appearing on National morning and other talk shows. With "that" attention one can understand the "pressure to produce" for a 15 year old, leading to depression, for now there are "expectations". There were no expectations for years '17-'18 for no one knew her on a national level.....

Now, she's taking a "political stance" after the Floyd incident. Already, per article, there are "red arrows" to her comment, which begins to take the bloom off her personna that she's developing as a fledgling 16 year old embarking on a promising career. When she has to "handle" controversial topics at her tennis pressers, where she is too immature at 16 to handle same, then the added pressure of competing and being controversial at the same time can be emotionally and mentally lethal, getting loads of negative feedback on social media and commentary in the press. She's moving into "dark territory" here and is too young at 16 to handle same.......

Teens should be exempt from pressers ~ That's what happened to Jennifer Capriati :oops:

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Sun 31, 2020 9:00 am

She just can't handle losing, but that's part of any game!!

Crying after Osaka spanked her, but she couldn't stay off the stage. You lose, gather your things and exit quickly like Masha, lol lol lol.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Sun 31, 2020 9:58 am

djmm1962 wrote:
May Sun 31, 2020 9:00 am
You lose, gather your things and exit quickly like Masha, lol lol lol.
yup. go cry in the locker. that's what Jelena Jankovic and her Serbian sister Petkovic said. They all cry in the locker. It's human.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Sun 31, 2020 10:57 am

Masha had the nerve to comment on Serena's crying in locker room after Wimbledon 2004 just to sell her stupidass book :evil:

Players should be able to sue for that!!

PRIVATE

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Sun 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
May Sat 30, 2020 9:34 pm
Rex,
I still stick to what she said
She said "Right before Wimbledon 17-18". She felt the pressure. And she responded brilliantly to that pressure. She went on to win her first WTA title. I think all that pressure stuff is behind her. I could be wrong I admit, but I don't see it in her interviews since that Wimbledon.
Ace, where is the pressure coming from? In 2017 Cori was age "13", the next year she's one year older. What pressure? She's equal to all of her peers at such age and "unheard of", save for those who keep up with girl's tennis. She's 15 when she faces Venus at Wimby, then the attention zooms after she dismisses Venus, she goes international. I think she's got her years mixed up, when she should be only talking about 2019 after Wimby.

Attached is a link from the WTA site, use the menu to click on the 2018 year. She played 4 events, 3 ITF 25ks and played qualifying at the USO, where she was dismissed by Heather in the lst round. However, she played Wimby's "girls event", where she as well as McNally lost in the 4th rd in singles. She did not play with the Ladies...... She's already confused....

Now, she wants to go political at 16 for public scrutiny? Have you heard of anyone else doing such things in sports at that age? I duly question her parents guidance.....

https://www.wtatennis.com/players/32856 ... ff/matches

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Sun 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Rex, as I said, I could be wrong. But I have no reason to believe she mixed up the years.
The girl's been branded as the next Venus since she was 12 or 13. She already had some contracts and demand to perform. I believe that could have created the pressure she is talking about.
I have not seen any kind of pressure since that Wimbledon run. Yes she cried after losing to Naomi. But the only thing about that is that she cried on court while most of the girls cry in the locker.
So until she herself changes the date, I believe that pressure she is talking about was in in 2017-18 as she is saying. She's been doing great since that Wimbledon run. She even won her first Doubles event and her first WTA Singles event. I don't think she could have done that if she was suffering from anxiety/pressure, etc.

Would you change your mind if she got the date right in that interview?

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Sun 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
May Sun 31, 2020 3:48 pm
Rex, as I said, I could be wrong. But I have no reason to believe she mixed up the years.
The girl's been branded as the next Venus since she was 12 or 13. She already had some contracts and demand to perform. I believe that could have created the pressure she is talking about. I have not seen any kind of pressure since that Wimbledon run. Yes she cried after losing to Naomi. But the only thing about that is that she cried on court while most of the girls cry in the locker.
So until she herself changes the date, I believe that pressure she is talking about was in in 2017-18 as she is saying. She's been doing great since that Wimbledon run. She even won her first Doubles event and her first WTA Singles event. I don't think she could have done that if she was suffering from anxiety/pressure, etc.

Would you change your mind if she got the date right in that interview?
Would I change my mind if she got the date right? Of course, but with "clarity", understanding what pressure she was under in '17 and '18 for she was only 13 and 14 years of age, respectively, playing primarily junior girls events, 3 ITF 25ks and a Tour event in 2018, as mentioned. "No one cares" about junior girl results, save for family and friends, if that. If you don't do well, letting down prognosticators about your talent, that's solely your own disappointment. If this is what she means, then say it.

In 2018, Cori, naturally with exceptions, played primarily junior girl events at the Slams. She didn't play the AO, was 16th seeded at the French and won it, 3rd seeded at Wimby, but bounced in the 4th, lst seeded at the USO, but bounced again in the 4th. Played qualies at the USO, as stated, and was bounced by Watson in the lst. She was all of 14 years of age and primarily "unknown", still....no one cares about those results, just another young, up-an-coming prospect evolving. Now, if her father put pressure on her to succeed and she didn't to his satisfaction, him chastising her in some way, then that's between them, she wanting to please him, self-imposed pressure that no one else outside of them "cares". If this is what she means, then clarify.

I, for one, never heard of Cori' 'til she played Venus at Wimby last year. Whether she was touted by someone as the next "it" girl, that's news to me, for I only heard of Osuigwe, Baptiste and maybe some others in passing of the juniors and I didn't watch any of the junior girls events at the Slams in '18. Matter-of-fact, the only junior girls matches I've watched was Wimby with Taylor (she won it), Ana Konjuh (noticed her for the lst time and came about duly impressed), Putintseva amongst others and I don't remember the year. Nevertheless, if some rag, that she respects touted her as the latest up-and-comer and she felt the pressure to meet those expectations, then say it, so I can understand, for I don't see what pressure she was under in '17 and '18.

However, 2019, last year, is "the" year and "pressure". People know you now, "That" I get, not what happened as a 13 and 14 year old in 2017 and 2018.

Lastly, as far as women weeping, women in general cry easy over the simplest of things. In tennis, the emotion for some is expressed by weeping after losing or getting routed. Heck, Sabine Lisicki is 30 and she's yet to stop crying... I don't think anything of it.....

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Sun 31, 2020 7:36 pm

Now, if her father put pressure on her to succeed and she didn't to his satisfaction, him chastising her in some way, then that's between them, she wanting to please him, self-imposed pressure that no one else outside of them "cares". If this is what she means, then clarify.

I, for one, never heard of Cori' 'til she played Venus at Wimby last year.
I have been following her results since her dramatic SF lost at Les Petits As in France. Both girls were crying in the middle of the match. lol. I posted the video here.
Cori beat herself hitting 1000 DFaults. I think she even hit DF on match point.( I think she was 13 and her opponent was 2 years older. viewtopic.php?t=13382&view=newest --- Skip the first set and go directly to the 2nd and 3rd for the drama).
So yes, the pressure was with her dad, family and friends. By Wimbledon as she is saying, she was over it. And she went on to win her first WTA titles.
I don't believe she's been under any special pressure after beating Venus.
Normal pressure that all players feel? yes. That comes with the sport.