Tournaments this week

Cori Gauff.....Depressed

All Tennis, All the Time
rex
Commish
Commish
Cori Gauff.....Depressed

Post by rex » Apr Thu 16, 2020 9:39 am

Attached is an article from the DM, where Cori talked of being depressed after her sudden rise to media-created stardom and tennis corporate exploitation. Had thoughts of taking a break from the game due to her experiences, questioning her love for the game..... Ridiculous....

We've said here ere that there was a danger to Cori being pimped out to exhos ere men's events, used in the disaster relief efforts in Australia with the other greats of the game (didn't belong there), rushed into the DC main event ere qualies were even completed, rushed into meeting celebs, giddy with admiration with massive name recognition and promoted nationally and internationally. Do you wonder why J'Cap and Andrea Jaeger had difficulties being young phenoms? Now you see the result, the self-imposed pressure to live up to the expectations of the sudden fame, a depressed 15/16 year old questioning herself, wondering why she suddenly has fame and not knowing how to deal with it. For me, not unexpected, for one does not "rush" into fame. It's a gradual evolution into such. Now, you see why there are AERs.....

Her parents didn't handle this right, no matter the attention and dollars she was getting. Her tennis results are one thing, the autograph signings and the post-match interviews are standard. But, the other distractions off the court was something she mentally and emotionally could not handle. This revelation should induce her parents to reflect on what has happened and address this issue with their daughter during this tennis hiatus, not saying that they haven't. But, this article should not be, for they should have talked with Cori about the pressure and expectations that would result from her experiences and regulated them.

Amongst others Cori and Naomi are nice transitions from Serena and Venus for me, another 10-15 years of tennis viewing for the ladies. However, Naomi is stagnating (remaining one-dimensional tennis-wise and emotionally scattered in her interviews) and Cori's admission to depression is sad to see, for this young talent can be Venus w/o the errors and have the career Venus should have had, being herself in her own right. We'll see how this unfolds......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... l#comments

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... but-season

Here is another article on promoting young tennis players ere they are ready mentally and emotionally.......

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: Cori Gauff.....Depressed

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Thu 16, 2020 10:47 am

I knew it was coming, Rex. I spoke about it here.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Apr Thu 16, 2020 11:03 am

djmm1962 wrote:
Apr Thu 16, 2020 10:47 am
I knew it was coming, Rex. I spoke about it here.
Indeed, Dj'.....

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Thu 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Her parents got caught up too!!

I am a little surprised it happened so soon; I was expecting it next year.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Thu 16, 2020 2:05 pm

She better find another hobby quick ~ A solo activity like painting, or even nurturing animals!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Thu 16, 2020 3:07 pm

djmm1962 wrote:
Apr Thu 16, 2020 2:05 pm
She better find another hobby quick ~ A solo activity like painting, or even nurturing animals!!
the corona break should help

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Apr Fri 17, 2020 1:36 pm

I hope so, Ace. Very impressionable time of life for her. Shame!!

Stargazing @Slooh

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Sat 30, 2020 7:52 am

Cori....please. There is a mental/emotional danger here, too young at 16 to put herself into dark territory......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... l#comments

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Sat 30, 2020 9:04 am

‘It added this pressure that I needed to do well fast. Right before Wimbledon, around 2017-18, I was struggling to figure out if this was really what I wanted. I just found myself not enjoying what I loved.

'I realised I needed to start playing for myself and not other people. For about a year, I was really depressed. That was the toughest year for me so far.’
This was before her Wimbledon breakthrough. So she is over with it.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » May Sat 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
May Sat 30, 2020 9:04 am
This was before her Wimbledon breakthrough. So she is over with it.
Over what? Prior to 2019, Cori was essentially "unknown", having done nothing on the ITF circuit, practically. Now, as a 14 year old if she questioned her interest in tennis during 2017-2018, per article, I understand, playing a sport you don't like, citing Nikki Vaidisova, who didn't care for tennis, leading to her eventually quitting the sport. However, there was "no pressure" for Cori' to live up to expectations as a 14/15 year old then, for she was essentially unheard of. The "pressure" occurred after her Wimby run in '19 when she dismissed Venus and went to the 4th rd, then the attention and hype ensued thereafter with sellout exhos ere men's events, drawing crowds at the DC event, playing ere a full house on Ashe in NY and packing her doubles' matches with McNally at the USO, getting media attention from celebs and appearing on National morning and other talk shows. With "that" attention one can understand the "pressure to produce" for a 15 year old, leading to depression, for now there are "expectations". There were no expectations for years '17-'18 for no one knew her on a national level.....

Now, she's taking a "political stance" after the Floyd incident. Already, per article, there are "red arrows" to her comment, which begins to take the bloom off her personna that she's developing as a fledgling 16 year old embarking on a promising career. When she has to "handle" controversial topics at her tennis pressers, where she is too immature at 16 to handle same, then the added pressure of competing and being controversial at the same time can be emotionally and mentally lethal, getting loads of negative feedback on social media and commentary in the press. She's moving into "dark territory" here and is too young at 16 to handle same.......