St.Petersburg final rounds

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Graveller
Commish
Commish
St.Petersburg final rounds

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:15 am

Interesting day for me, with Bencic and Rybakina having a good shot of advancing - and meetnig each other in the SF.
And in the bottom section we could see a Kvitova-Bertens SF.

So a great line-up is on the cards, with some interesting ranking consequences for next week (if those 4 advance) : Bencic in the top4, Rybakina in the top20, anf Kvitova in the top10 again (and Okaka out of the top 10).

Dodin (#130) was one of those players that got my attention for a bit when she appeared on the scene 5-6 years ago, but she never really got anywhere. So counting on Rybakina to win this one. Elena does not have to save energy as she won't play next week (due to the cancellation of Debrecen, and Dubai giving WC to granny Clijsters and Muguruza.... ).

Maybe not a bad thing in the end; a deep run here in St.Pete, then avoiding a packed Premier event at Dubai, bur instead a good rest prior to P5 Doha.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: St.Petersbug final rounds

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:27 am

After some close first games, the Rybakina-serve is warmed up. A first love-game with predominantly winning serves.
3-2* on serve.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Re: St.Petersburg final rounds

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:37 am

Rybakina breaks and holds (not as easy as I wanted, but a nice ace sealed the game): 5-2*

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:52 am

Unexpected turn in this set... Rybakina making way too many errors... and to think that she had two set points at 5-2 40-15*...

Instead we have 5-5...

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 5:10 am

I cannot believe that Rybakina lost that set: 6-7... a really, really, disappointing performance.

She had two more set points at 6-5 40-15*, but wasted them. Then she was a double break up in the TB: *-3-0... wasted that lead too. And Oceane took her first and only SP.

So many UE's... It felt as if I was watching Kvitova with all those up's and down's.

Edit: Oceane having a MTO after Set#1.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Feb Fri 14, 2020 6:46 am

The main positive note from this match is that she does not give up... When a break down in set 2, it looked over and out...
Oh, and the girl can play tennis :-)

She will have to get rid of those UE's and stupid game losses if she wants to beat Bencic (assuming that Belinda wins).

And I see that Petra withdrew.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Feb Sat 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Watching the replay of the semis, enjoyed the "live" jazz ensemble and singer that provided the entertainment for such. I see that the announcers enjoyed the music, as well. After the changeovers they got nice applause for their numbers. Nice change of pace from rap and other music of today that punctuates most events nowadays....

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Feb Mon 17, 2020 1:42 pm

I tried to find it online and came across the trophy presentation entertainment & that had it all from strings to piano - from ice skating to dancing - quite a surprise...