Tournaments this week

It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

All Tennis, All the Time
CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior
Re: It's gonna be a nice YEC2019

Post by CrossCourtBH » Nov Sat 02, 2019 9:47 am

well that was a waste of time - a choppy feed that kept losing play and no sound =
not possible to watch wta once again

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Sat 02, 2019 11:52 am

Belinda should be fined for lack of effort, resilience, resolve. To retire at 1-4 down in the 3rd is ridiculous.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Sat 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Bencic points finger at Shenzhen court as withdrawals mount
By Reuters

SHENZHEN, Nov 3 (Reuters) - Switzerland's Belinda Bencic questioned the quality of the court used at the WTA Finals as she became the latest player to pull out of the end-of-season championship on Saturday.
Bencic retired midway through the third set of her semi-final against holder Elina Svitolina to become the fourth player to withdraw at this year's tournament, which is being played on a temporary hard court at the indoor Shenzhen Bay Sports Center.

"I was cramping," said Bencic. "I started to feel it at the start of the second set, my hamstring. I called the physio. I started cramping in my foot and again in my hamstring.

"I really didn't want to retire. I wanted to finish the match. It was not possible. I'm really disappointed about how my body failed me.

"I think these courts are really not ideal. You can see there were four retirements this week."

The WTA Finals, being played in Shenzhen for the first time as part of a 10-year residency in the Chinese city, involves the eight highest-ranked players at the end of the season.

But three of the qualifiers - Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu and Bencic plus alternate Kiki Bertens - were forced to pull out for one reason or another during the week-long event.

While Japan's Osaka cited a shoulder injury for her withdrawal after the first round of group matches and Dutchwoman Bertens was ill, Canada's Andreescu and Bencic suffered muscular or joint issues that ended their involvement.

Andreescu retired at the end of the first set of her second match in the round robin phase against Karolina Pliskova - and withdrew from the tournament a day later - when she jarred her knee attempting to complete a return of serve.

Bencic added: "I don't think I could have done anything better. I think it was just a really long season. I'm exhausted obviously.

"I think these courts are terrible for movement of players and for the muscles because it's like sand. You stop immediately, and it goes directly into your muscles. I think since the first practice, you can feel that in your body."

Romanian Simona Halep, who was knocked out at the end of the group phase on Friday following her loss to Czech Pliskova, agreed that the speed of the courts was not ideal.

"We all are tired after a long year," said the Wimbledon champion. "We have to do extra work on the shots and the points on this surface. But we have what we have, and that's it. I'm not going to complain about that."

Steve Simon, WTA chairman and CEO, said it would look to ensure the court was quicker for next year's edition.

"The WTA in consultation with tournament partners and the court provider, go through a detailed process each year regarding the court surface and speed, taking into account player feedback throughout the season and after each edition of the tournament," he said.

"Based on the feedback received this year it is my expectation that we will have a faster court in 2020." (Reporting by Michael Church, Editing by Ken Ferris)

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sun 03, 2019 10:11 am

The bad news: I forgot to make my prediction for the final in the YEC.

The 'good' news: I would have picked Svitolina, so it doesn't matter.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Nov Sun 03, 2019 10:53 am

Graveller wrote:
Nov Sun 03, 2019 10:11 am
The bad news: I forgot to make my prediction for the final in the YEC.

The 'good' news: I would have picked Svitolina, so it doesn't matter.
The Elina pick would've been a logical pick for she owns their header at 5-0 (didn't know this 'til this final matchup), including a victory this year at IW. Logical choice, unless you had other reasons for the selection.....

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Nov Sun 03, 2019 11:07 am

I just realized I forgot too. I would have picked Barty by default.
Oh well. Playing the YEC in China never made sense to me. And none of my favorite were there. So I barely followed this one. :( :(

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sun 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Rex: from what I'd seen at the YEC, Svitolina looked the better one.

I only saw one of Barty's matches from start to end (her 3-set loss vs Bertens), so was not that impressed, and the day after that I saw Svitolina beat Halep in two...
I think that Elina lost too much unnecessary energy vs Kenin.

ps: now thinking back how Belinda won her first set vs both Barty and Svitolina, and then could not play at her best after that due to inhuries. She could have won this whole thing...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Nov Sun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Graveller wrote:
Nov Sun 03, 2019 4:15 pm
Rex: from what I'd seen at the YEC, Svitolina looked the better one.

I only saw one of Barty's matches from start to end (her 3-set loss vs Bertens), so was not that impressed, and the day after that I saw Svitolina beat Halep in two...
I think that Elina lost too much unnecessary energy vs Kenin.

ps: now thinking back how Belinda won her first set vs both Barty and Svitolina, and then could not play at her best after that due to inhuries. She could have won this whole thing...
Nice explanation, because I almost went with Elina for the PGame, including the consideration of their header. Yet, regardless of header I thought Ashleigh had a good chance of winning the final with reservations about her backhand which, for the most part, is a slice, but I thought she had a better game with her forehand and serve, defends well and is the better aggressor on offense. Despite reaching the final, for me Elina is a non-aggressor and coming up against a player with weapons and an aggressive intent, but is not reckless with her game and error-prone, I'm going with her opponent.