Re: Ladies USO....2019 Maindraw......

Post by djmm1962 » Sep Thu 05, 2019 9:01 am

Go Ree!!

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 05, 2019 9:49 am

Bencic can't hide now. The Swiss spotlight is all on her.

US Open 2019: Semi-finalist Belinda Bencic not happy to be last Swiss standing

Belinda Bencic is the last Swiss player standing in the singles competition at the US Open, a fact she is far from thrilled about.

Bencic progressed to her first grand slam semi-final on Wednesday with a straight-sets win over Donna Vekic.

She will next play Bianca Andreescu or Elise Mertens for a place in the final, carrying the flag for her country after Stan Wawrinka and Roger Federer each lost their quarter-finals in the men's singles.

"This is not a good thing. I'm not happy about this actually," Bencic told a media conference when asked about being the last remaining Swiss.

"I'm kind of surprised, like I think everyone is. It would be really nice if the boys could also make it to the semi-finals. But I'm happy I can kind of do it for them and don't let them down."

It has been an arduous journey for Bencic to get to this point. She was once ranked seventh in the world but dropped outside the top 300 in 2017 as injuries derailed her career.

Now poised to get back into the top 10, Bencic was asked if she envisioned being a grand slam semi-finalist when she was battling fitness problems.

"I was dreaming, of course, about this day coming, but you never know what's going to happen," she added. "You're not thinking about it. You're just right in the moment. Either you're practicing or focusing on your match.

"I worked hard for this. It's not like I never imagined I could do this. Still, I stayed in the moment. Yeah, [it's a] very nice feeling.

"The dream of every tennis player obviously is to win the biggest tournaments. I think for sure being number one in the world or winning a grand slam is always a dream. But I think it's still a long way to that. Of course, I think you can see it there.

"I think the work and staying in the moment is more important right now. Just taking it step by step, like I said all my career. I know it sounds boring. It's how you have to approach it.

"You cannot think too far ahead because I think that's just going to kind of make it more difficult or maybe add some pressure or something.

"I'm just trying to get a step closer to that every day. Today I am a step closer."

Mytiwtiw

Post by Mytiwtiw » Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:14 am

LOL@23 -0 cherryfield picking 😂😂😅😅👠👠👠

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:37 am

Andreescu is gonna start thinking success on the WTA is not that hard.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:52 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:37 am
Andreescu is gonna start thinking success on the WTA is not that hard.
If she can't think "success", what's she doing on the tour? :) :)

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Fri 06, 2019 9:53 am

Dearest Vee, please see below:

The Key Stat Fuelling Dimitrov's Resurgence
Sep 05, 2019

Why being 'best on second' doesn't mean being second best

Grigor Dimitrov has spectacularly flipped the switch with his second serve.

An area that the Bulgarian has struggled with in the past year has come roaring back to form at the 2019 US Open, helping power him through to the semi-finals, where he will meet Daniil Medvedev on Friday.

An Infosys ATP Beyond The Numbers breakdown of Dimitrov’s second serve identifies a substantial improvement the past two weeks in New York. The Infosys ATP Stats Serve LEADERBOARD currently finds Dimitrov sitting at 77th best on tour with overall serve performance in the past 52 weeks, with only 46.8 per cent points won behind his second serve.

That’s yesterday’s news…

Of the eight players who reached the quarter-finals at the US Open this year, Dimitrov leads the pack with second-serve points won at 59 per cent (99/168). It’s actually the highest win percentage of anyone who reached the third round and beyond.

Dimitrov scored one of the biggest wins of his career Tuesday night against Roger Federer in the US Open quarter-finals, winning 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. Trailing two sets to one, Dimitrov’s second serve was a rock as he moved towards the finish line. He won 57 per cent (8/14) in the last two sets. In the fifth set against Federer, Dimitrov closed out service games with a second serve at 3-0 and 4-1, which were both pivotal moments that stopped Federer making inroads to find a much-needed break of serve to get back into the match.

You May Also Like: Dimitrov On His Renewed Perspective: 'This Is What I Was Meant To Do'
In the fourth round, Dimitrov defeated Alex de Minaur 7-5, 6-3, 6-4, winning 59 per cent (23/39) of second-serve points overall, and 63 per cent (15/24) in the last two sets. The more Dimitrov needs his second serve to help seal victory, the more it is stepping up in the big moments.

Dimitrov won 63 per cent (26/41) of second-serve points in his third-round match against Kamil Majchrzak of Poland. He faced two break points on second serve and won them both.

An interesting strategic element of Dimitrov’s improved performance is that he is not hitting it bigger, attempting to force return errors. Opponents have only missed putting into play 12 per cent (18/150) of Dimitrov’s second serves, which is considerably lower than Medvedev’s 23 per cent (45/193) - the player he will face in the semi-finals.

The player that wins north of 50 per cent of his second-serve points for the match will most likely be playing in his first Grand Slam final.