All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: Bronx.....

Post by Graveller » Aug Thu 22, 2019 3:04 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Aug Wed 21, 2019 8:50 pm
There should only be ITF event the week before a slam. WTA players should take a break, getting ready for the main show.
That makes sense for the 8-16 players who reached a QF in the event (or two events) the week before; for all the others, it would be two week without match-play after losing early in an event.

It was never a problem in the past. It's only in the last decade that we start to see a lot of lazy top-20 players (events like Sydney, Eastbourne and New Haven used to have amazing line-ups, and (semi-)finalists often went on to win the slams after that...)

1999 New Haven: Venus won the final vs Davenport, and then got to the US Open SF (lost vs Hingis), but won the doubles
2000 New Haven: Venus won the final vs Seles, and then won the US Open
2001 New Haven: Venus won the final vs Davenport, and then won the US Open
2002 New Haven: Venus won the final vs Davenport, and then got to the US Open F (lost vs Serena)
2003 New Haven: Capriati won the final vs Davenport, and then got to the US Open SF (lost vs Henin in a 3rd set TB)
2005 New Haven: Davenport won the final vs Mauresmo, and then got to the US Open QF (lost vs Dementieva, despite having a MP)2003 2006 New Haven: Henin won the final vs Davenport, and then got to the US Open F (lost vs Meldonium)

later, there was Woz winning New Haven and getting to the US Open final in 2009...

ps: Davenport is the queen of losing New Haven Finals...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Sat 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Surprised........packed house for the final.....

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Sat 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Congrats to Magda Linette on winning her lst Tour title at age 27. Nice, competitive 3-set final with Camila G. ere a more than decent house. Worked hard for the +43k for this event for she played 8 matches to earn it, emerging from qualies.

Unfortunately, the TC didn't bother to show the trophy presentation. Wanted to hear what Magda had to say about winning the lst title of her career.

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Aug Sat 24, 2019 6:40 pm

well at least there was sound :D but agree would have been nice to see the ceremony

same with atp
nice win for hubert - didn't show ceremony & would have liked to hear his speech

@rex nice win for you pg Bronx

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Aug Sat 24, 2019 10:32 pm

CrossCourtBH wrote:
Aug Sat 24, 2019 6:40 pm
well at least there was sound :D but agree would have been nice to see the ceremony

same with atp
nice win for hubert - didn't show ceremony & would have liked to hear his speech

@rex nice win for you pg Bronx
Thanks, CCB.

Re Hubert, it was his "lst Tour title", as well, but no visuals of the trophy presentation and interviews. Disappointing to not be able to witness a major moment for these two players.

An addendum:

Some additional tidbits for the winners today of these two 250k events. Both Magda and Hubert are Polish. Further, the last Polish men's tennis champion by title was Wojtek Fibak in 1982, "37 years ago". Nice recap on the ATP website, which also lists the men who became lst time champions this year, some of them older than Magda:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/hurkacz ... 2019-final

From Magda, her comments:

"It means the world to us," Linette told press afterwards. "I’m 27, so it’s not super super young. So it means really a lot. It gives a lot of boost - you know, for the confidence, and also a reward. Finally, it’s a reward for us, for all the hard work."

"I was really surprised how many Polish people are around here, so I’m really thankful for them that they came and supported me," Linette grinned. "It’s great, because we don’t have a tournament in Poland, we’re not really used to having a home crowd. So it’s always that they come for the big tournaments, I’m so happy that they came to watch my final."

I've been appreciative of Magda and her game for some time, believed her to be top-50 at least. But, one of the reasons I've liked watching her play is that she sports 2 of the best pair of gams on this Tour......"legs for days"...... :D

Nice titles today for the reps of their home Nation. Proud moment in sports for them at least.