Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Yikes, No SERENA WC Before Wimbledon

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Fri 07, 2019 10:30 am

Serena unlikely to play Wimbledon warmup, says coach
Danielle Rossingh

PARIS (Reuters) - Serena Williams is likely to go into Wimbledon without playing a warm-up event because she is still injured, her coach Patrick Mouratoglou has told Reuters.

After a third-round exit at the French Open, Williams said she felt so short in matches, she was considering seeking a wildcard at one of the grass-court events and ‘see what happens’.

Williams, a seven-time Wimbledon champion, and her older sister Venus, a five-time winner at the All England Club, usually prepare for the world’s only grass-court Grand Slam event at home in Florida.

“I don’t know yet, I don’t think so, because first the goal is for her to be injury-free and pain-free and then we need to work hard, so if she can play, great (but) I don’t know if she can play,” Mouratoglou said in an interview at Roland Garros, when asked if Williams would play a warmup tournament.

The Wimbledon Championships start July 1.

Williams last played an event before Wimbledon in 2011, when she entered Eastbourne after an 11-month injury break for a foot injury, during which she also had surgery for a pulmonary embolism on her lung.

“She’s a bit injured so we need to solve the problem, because there is a double problem,” said Mouratoglou, who has guided the 37-year-old American to 10 Grand Slam titles since they started working together in 2012.

“The first problem is that she can’t prepare the proper way because of the injury, and the second thing is that she is playing with the pain, so we have to solve that,” the Frenchman added.

Having played just nine matches before Roland Garros, including just one on clay, Williams’ quest for a record-tying 24th Grand Slam singles title was ended by American teenager Sofia Kenin in straight sets at Roland Garros.

After her earliest defeat in Paris since 2014, Williams went to see Mouratoglou’s long-time doctor for a left knee injury that has been bothering her since the Miami Open in March.

“We saw the doctor I have in Paris, I’m working with (him) for 20 years, I think we’re going to be fine,” Mouratoglou said.

Asked if it would have been better for the three-time French Open winner to have skipped the clay altogether, Mouratoglou said: “It’s probably better not to play when you’re not ready.”

“This is one way to see it, but the other way to see it, the one I chose, Serena has been able in her career to figure out ways to win without being ready quite a number of times,” he added.

“She won Roland Garros with 40 degrees fever. She won the Australian Open being completely unfit because she didn’t have time to practise after injury. With Serena, there is no rule.”
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jun Fri 07, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yikes, No SERENA WC Before Wimbledon

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Fri 07, 2019 10:32 am

Moratoglou the parrot.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jun Fri 07, 2019 10:46 pm

OMG!!

She can't slip on grass :(

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 10, 2019 8:40 am

Five-time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams has confirmed she will play at the Nature Valley Classic in Birmingham.

American Williams, 38, will make her debut at the grass-court event after accepting a wildcard, joining world number one Naomi Osaka and French Open champion Ashleigh Barty in the draw.

Defending champion Petra Kvitova and British number one Johanna Konta are also playing in the tournament.

The tournament runs from 15-23 June.

Former world number one Garbine Muguruza has been forced to withdraw from the event held at Edgbaston Priory Club due to a left leg injury.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jun Mon 10, 2019 8:53 am

French Open champion Rafael Nadal said he will play no grass-court warm-up tournaments ahead of Wimbledon but is confident he can mount a challenge for a third title in southwest London.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jun Mon 10, 2019 9:30 am

Nadal has to worry about only 3 other players.
He'll make the Semi Final at Wimbledon. There is no much challenge to ATP top players.