SERENA And Grossie In New York

All Tennis, All the Time
Post Reply New Topic
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
SERENA And Grossie In New York

Post by Grossefavourite » May Sun 12, 2019 11:02 am

So, last Sunday it rained all day in NY so my tennis partner and I, fed up with the weekend rain washing out our time to play, decided to travel to the Randall's Island tennis center indoor courts. It also houses John McEnroe's tennis academy.

While waiting on line at the desk, these two middle aged women were talking about Caroline Wozniacki and how much they 'preferred' her husband and her diamond ring. Weird, I thought, but didn't know the context of the convo.

Thankfully, we got to play a few minutes before waiting in the front to see whether we'd get to play an hour or more.

Sitting there, I casually noticed a woman dressed in tennis attire scrolling her phone and slowly walking in my direction from the left.

No way, I thought, as I swiftly snapped my head back in her direction because I would swear that was Serena, and it was. Serena Williams in the flesh right there like any other weekend tennis hack all by herself, no entourage, etc. She looked around the sitting area, exited, got her car keys and sped off in the rain. No one reacted and for good reason, they were all ex-pros who no doubt had seen her before, perhaps even there. Of course, I was in shock, speechless.

Less than a minute later, John McEnroe walked in.

Serena looked so fresh and young without any makeup. She looked perhaps 25 yo at the most.

The front desk staff filled me in that she was there to practice on the clay courts in prep for Rome and RG. Of course, I tried to get the court she was on but could not. I will for sure be trying in the future to get that court just for fun.

I was even more impressed with the Queen, because on a rainy, cold, miserable day like that and in town to co-chair the Met Gala the next day, she could've found a million excuses to stay in her plush bed in her luxe hotel instead of driving out in the rain through Harlem to go practice. I checked her instagram and she did explain why she was in New York that time--the Met Gala---and made a point of noting that she was still going to practice before heading to the gala. No doubt, she went back to that center.

So, then I understood what those who shady women were talking about earlier, they were comparing Serena and Woz.

Good luck in Rome and Paris, Queen!!!
Last edited by Grossefavourite on May Wed 15, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Re: SERENA And Grossie In New York

Post by sekasi » May Tue 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Alright Grossie, I am disappointed. I was waiting for the part when you introduce yourself and tell her Venus is your fave.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Wed 15, 2019 6:36 am

Fabulous, Grosse!! She does look younger, thinner and more light toned in person (I saw her in Paris).

LOL at Sekasi's comment :lol: cause Venus is my favorite too!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 15, 2019 8:44 am

I am still hoping I can run into Serena in Rome here. That would be sweet.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 15, 2019 8:46 am

sekasi wrote:
May Tue 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Alright Grossie, I am disappointed. I was waiting for the part when you introduce yourself and tell her Venus is your fave.
You're crazy. Why would he say that? 😀😀😀

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » May Wed 15, 2019 9:23 am

Sekasi, you're so right. I would've had I had the time and wherewithal. By the time it had sunk in that I was in the presence of Serena, she was out the door.

When I met Jankovic, I told her I was pissed she defeated my Venus. She said, ahhhhhh. How rude! lol

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 15, 2019 9:48 am

I once ask Jankovic why she always yells at her coach. She laughed and said " aaaah he is my brother."

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » May Wed 15, 2019 10:07 am

LOL!! How's Jankovic's skin up close??

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » May Wed 15, 2019 10:17 am

djmm1962 wrote:
May Wed 15, 2019 10:07 am
LOL!! How's Jankovic's skin up close??
hmmmm. I don't remember. But her brother/coach is very approachable. I chatted with him for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Very humble guy.