Tournaments this week

WTA Stuttgart & Istanbul

All Tennis, All the Time
Graveller
Commish
Commish
Re: WTA Stuttgart & Istanbul

Post by Graveller » Apr Thu 25, 2019 8:03 am

Disaster-match; I don't recognise Darya anymore. What is going on... 10 service games, and getting broken 6 times... Ridiculous UE's troughout the match. Deserved to lose 1-6 4-6.

I've seen a fair share of slumps in the career of upcoming players, but this one may turn out to be worse than the ongoing Ostapenko-slump.

Now holding my breath for Bertens vs Bencic. I expect this to be more competitive but Kiki is a force on clay. As long as Belinda does not beat herself (by making tons of UE's like Kasatkina just did) I won't complain.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Thu 25, 2019 8:15 am

Kasatkina's problem is her unwillingness to be aggressive. I didn't watch the match, but I have been saying it for a long while now. She can be a consistent top player is she is willing to use her power and not just sit back and loop balls over the net.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Thu 25, 2019 9:24 am

Compared to Kasatkina, Bencic plays and looks like a veteran.

Even match up to 4-4, then Benicic converted her first BP of the match, and went on to win the set 6-4.
Now the second set started, and Benic got a BP again, and takes it too.

Looking good so far.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Thu 25, 2019 11:35 am

Darling Mladenovic and Miracle Maker Sasha Bajin move on ...
next opponent please.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Apr Thu 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Ace2Ace wrote:
Apr Thu 25, 2019 11:35 am
Darling Mladenovic and Miracle Maker Sasha Bajin move on ...
next opponent please.
All we want is a FO miracle. Winning Timbuktu and flopping at the FO means nothing.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Apr Thu 25, 2019 4:18 pm

You are one crazy lady. Timbuktu Open was cancelled after WWII.

Sasha, the Miracle Worker, may not get the French Open magic this year. But next year, get ready for the Mladenovic sunami in Paris. No one will survive in the red dirt. She'll be all over.
I could be wrong. Sasha can do anything. So the miracle may actually happen this year. Don't bet the kids' lunch money on it though.

sekasi
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by sekasi » Apr Fri 26, 2019 9:34 am

Ace2Ace wrote:
Apr Thu 25, 2019 4:18 pm
You are one crazy lady. Timbuktu Open was cancelled after WWII.

Sasha, the Miracle Worker, may not get the French Open magic this year. But next year, get ready for the Mladenovic sunami in Paris. No one will survive in the red dirt. She'll be all over.
I could be wrong. Sasha can do anything. So the miracle may actually happen this year. Don't bet the kids' lunch money on it though.
Too late, $100 on the table, send your check dude. :lol:

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Fri 26, 2019 10:15 am

Osaka vs Vekic not having the same level of play as Bertens vs Bencic yesterday.

Osaka was right when she said a minute ago against her coach that Vekic was not doing anything better than her: both play mediocre imo.
But just like Kasatkina, yesterday, Osaka is making way too many UE's since the middle of the second set (compared to Vekic).

Donna leading 4-1 in the third. Naomi needs to stop making errors right now or he is out.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Fri 26, 2019 10:19 am

She does not listen... it is an UE-fest and some of those shots go out/wide by quite a margin.
Vekic serving for the match *5-1

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Apr Fri 26, 2019 10:31 am

Well well, back on serve in the decisive set: 5-4*... A combination of Vekic choking and making the UE's, and Osaka playing all-or-nothing on the return (and probably playing relaxed because she had lost already in her head).

Now it is back ion serve; let's see how Osaka deals with not being in a losing position anymore...