PredictionGame
Tournaments this week

French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt dies at 24

Away from the tennis court, who are these guys?
Post Reply New Topic
janickister
Commish
Commish
French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt dies at 24

Post by janickister » Jul Tue 07, 2009 9:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# – #ed_op#SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1246971776_0 style="CURSOR: hand; COLOR: #000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dceeff"#ed_cl#French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#, who was recently banned for betting on matches, has died. He was 24.#ed_op#P#ed_cl#The French tennis federation said Tuesday that Montcourt died overnight but "the causes of his death are not yet known."#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#French media reported the 119th-ranked Montcourt was found dead by his girlfriend in the stairwell of his Paris apartment. In May, Montcourt was handed a five-week ban and fined $12,000 for betting on other matches. That ban took effect Monday.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#"It is with great sadness that the French tennis federation has learned of the sudden death of #ed_op#SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1246971776_1 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed"#ed_cl#Mathieu Montcourt#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#," the French tennis federation said. "Mathieu was an enthusiastic young man, passionate, very endearing, and extremely appreciated for his kindness and politeness."#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The federation said an autopsy will be conducted.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Montcourt complained during the #ed_op#SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1246971776_2 style="CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed"#ed_cl#French Open#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# that the punishment was too harsh, saying that he never bet more than $3 at any time, and never on his own matches — a fact confirmed by the ATP, which oversees the men's Tour.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Montcourt had wagered a total of $192 on 36 tennis events in 2005. It reduced his suspension on appeal from eight weeks to five.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The issue of betting in tennis drew increased attention from the sport's #ed_op#SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1246971776_3#ed_cl#governing bodies#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# after an online bookmaker voided all wagers on a 2007 match involving #ed_op#SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1246971776_4 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed"#ed_cl#Nikolay Davydenko#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#. About $7 million was bet — 10 times the usual amount for a similar-level match — and most of the money backed Davydenko's lower-ranked opponent.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Davydenko was cleared in September after a yearlong investigation.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Article via #ed_op#A href="http://www.yahoo.com"#ed_cl#www.yahoo.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same"

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt dies at 24

Post by Footsoldier » Jul Tue 07, 2009 11:35 am

Very sad... RIP. :(#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#He was playing a tournament just last week too... :(#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Q. How would you feel if you would have gone out and lost to a woman who was playing on one leg?

SERENA WILLIAMS: If she was Serena Williams, I wouldn't feel that bad (smiling).

missinandre
Commish
Commish

Post by missinandre » Jul Tue 07, 2009 1:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found out about this EARLY this morning.  I'm still in shock.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
That's tennis and ya gotta love it!!!!

janickister
Commish
Commish

Post by janickister » Jul Tue 07, 2009 2:39 pm

From what I am aware of he was serving an 8 week ban from the tour for betting on matches.

I don't know if he started that ban or not. He played at the French Open, lost to Radek Stephanek in 4 sets.

This is truely a sad loss for tennis.
"If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same"

Footsoldier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Footsoldier » Jul Tue 07, 2009 6:11 pm

janickister wrote:From what I am aware of he was serving an 8 week ban from the tour for betting on matches.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I don't know if he started that ban or not. He played at the French Open, lost to Radek Stephanek in 4 sets.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#This is truely a sad loss for tennis.
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#The ban started this Monday... yesterday. He was playing a challenger event just last week in Croatia where I think he lost in the semis.... :(#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Q. How would you feel if you would have gone out and lost to a woman who was playing on one leg?

SERENA WILLIAMS: If she was Serena Williams, I wouldn't feel that bad (smiling).

missinandre
Commish
Commish

Post by missinandre » Jul Tue 07, 2009 6:22 pm

janickister wrote:From what I am aware of he was serving an 8 week ban from the tour for betting on matches.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I don't know if he started that ban or not. He played at the French Open, lost to Radek Stephanek in 4 sets.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#This is truely a sad loss for tennis.
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The ban started the day he was found dead.....:(  I can't even remember if that was yesterday or today.  I'm just so tired right now.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

missinandre
Commish
Commish

Post by missinandre » Jul Tue 07, 2009 6:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh well then...yesterday :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rafa submitted a beautiful heartbreaking message.....it sounded like Montcourt was someone he knew very very well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

janickister
Commish
Commish

Post by janickister » Jul Wed 08, 2009 10:45 am

Report: Montcourt had cardiac arrestComment Email Print Share Reuters

PARIS -- French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt, who was found dead outside his home this week, suffered a cardiac arrest, a police source said on Wednesday after a preliminary autopsy.

Montcourt, 24, was found outside his apartment near Paris at about 1 a.m. on Tuesday after spending the evening at the home of Patrice Dominguez, technical director of the French Tennis Federation.

Further tests that can detect the presence of any drugs or medicines in the body have been carried out. The results are expected at the weekend, the source said.

Montcourt, who was 119 in the ATP world rankings, had just begun a five-week ban for gambling on other players' matches, although he was cleared of influencing the outcome of any of the matches.

He had also been fined $12,000 for the offence, a penalty he had described as "ridiculous" given what he said was a lack of clarity in the ATP rules and the small sums of money, totalling only $192, he had wagered.

Dominguez and his son Mathieu, a close friend of Montcourt's, have been interviewed by police because they were among the last people to see the player alive.

Patrice Dominguez told Reuters on Tuesday that Montcourt, who lived near his house and was a frequent visitor, had not appeared to be suffering any problems and had spent a quiet evening watching a film.