Tournaments this week

Rojay "WINS" (Asterisk) Wimbledon

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished
Rojay "WINS" (Asterisk) Wimbledon

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sun 16, 2017 10:10 am

Definite asterisk next to this win, though a win all the same. He had a w/o, avoided his main rivals and had a lame opponent in the final.

rex
Commish
Commish

Re:Rojay "WINS" (Asterisk) Wimbledon

Post by rex » Jul Sun 16, 2017 10:22 am

#ed_op#i#ed_cl#Please.....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Congrats to Roger on his 19th. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Legend......#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Packer of houses. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#20 would be nice in NYC ere 22k. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Nice run for Marin. #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Sun 16, 2017 10:32 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>rex</b>:</font>

As one so readily moved to essay with addenda and preamble on minutiae, I'm surprised, nay shocked, that you'd overlook glaring tennis-related details of significance in his triumphant journey.
Last edited by Grossefavourite on Jul Sun 16, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Re: Rojay "WINS" (Asterisk) Wimbledon

Post by Skilletsauce » Jul Sun 16, 2017 10:35 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Well maybe the tennis Gods were a bit sympathetic for Wimbledon especially after the lethal draw he had in Australia and still won that one. That's just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Only the second man in history to win Wimbledon without dropping a set!! And even more amazing he was never down a break in any set during the entire tournament!!!!!!!!!! Lord Jesus. Congrats and who would've predicted this kind of year for Roger? Outstanding, and a true living legend.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Jul Sun 16, 2017 11:29 am

<font color=brown>@ <b>Grossefavourite</b>:</font>

Muguruza had a strapped leg. Yet you never would have asterisked a Venus win... case closed...
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

rex
Commish
Commish

Re: Rojay "WINS" (Asterisk) Wimbledon

Post by rex » Jul Sun 16, 2017 12:08 pm

#ed_op#font color="brown"#ed_cl#@ #ed_op#b#ed_cl#Grossefavourite#ed_op#/b#ed_cl#:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#Roger dismissed what was ere him:#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#1). Nothing he can do about players showing up just to get a lst rd pay check and walk away (8 men retired). Plus, the Dog must lead the men's Tour in retirements.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#2). He avoided "no one". Rafa was supposed to emerge from the top-half to meet Roger in the final, which everyone was expecting. Yet, Rafa lost to Muller in a thriller who earned that victory. Upsets happen in sports. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#3). Novak got injured and retired in the qtrs ere an expected semi with Roger. That happens. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#4). With reference to item 2 Marin wasn't supposed to meet Roger in the final in the lst place.&nbsp; Again, injuries do happen in sports and preempts projected meetings (Andy with a hip injury in losing the qtrs against Querrey, eating candy canes in the 4th and 5th). #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#u#ed_cl##ed_op#b#ed_cl#"Addenda" and "Minutiae"#ed_op#/b#ed_cl##ed_op#/u#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#5). Citing Skillet', he didn't drop a set in his seven matches. O/s.....#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#6).&nbsp; 8 Wimby titles during a very competitive era in the men's game with other players simultaneously carving out legends for themselves in Rafa and Novak. #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl##ed_op#i#ed_cl#7). He's played 7 events this year winning 5, not only the 2 Slams (AO and Wimby), but won 2 Masters titles "back-to-back" (IW and Miami), whipping his chief rival, Rafa (a lopsided header with Rafa up 23-14) "twice" and a 500k (Halle) showing remarkable consistency for a player in his mid-30's. And the year is far from over.... #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#/i#ed_cl#Thus, there will be no * next to this Wimby title for Roger. He's been consistent with his results, whipping all comers, doing it ere packed houses (no one draws better than he), and cementing his legacy. And the great thing about this is that he'll be back next year to the delight of tourney directors, for he means "box office". (6k showing up in Perth just to watch him practice.).........&nbsp; #ed_op#/i#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by rex on Jul Sun 16, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 17, 2017 7:01 am

Cilic's oncourt crying was a unsettling for me, especially since it wasn't associated with an injury!!

Very disturbing!!

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Jul Mon 17, 2017 9:05 am

Nadal or Muller would have given Federer a run for his money.
We got the wrong finalist.
Or maybe Cilic should have had a hand transplant before the match. :)
Last edited by Ace2Ace on Jul Mon 17, 2017 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Jul Mon 17, 2017 9:27 am

Hands down, Rafa would've won this title against Rojay. Even Querrey was up to the task I suspect.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Jul Mon 17, 2017 10:07 am

Not hand, Ace, it was his foot!!

I didn't enjoy either Final.